Macclesfield to Manchester

LutraSkip

Featured Posts

We are moving further along the route of our planned summer trip and about to cover what is effectively part of the Cheshire ring. We will go on to the Macc tomorrow at Harding's Wood and intend to go to Whaley Bridge on the Peak Forest before going via the Ashton and Rochdale through Manchester to join the Leeds and Liverpool. Does anyone have advice for us about good moorings, places to avoid mooring, good places to eat etc. or the best stages along the way? We like to cruise for up to 4 hours each day, with some 2 day stops in especially nice places. All advice will be gratefully received.

Richard Holland

• 2 weeks later...

I am most grateful to Martin for drawing attention to this part on his website. It is very useful accurate and practical advice. We moored last night in Thomas Telford basin in Piccadilly Village. It would, I know, not be everyone's cup of tea, as a modern basin surrounded by apartments. It is however a quiet mooring, provides a safe resting place for anyone wanting a recuperation period between the Ashton locks and the Rochdale 9, or vice versa, feels completely safe and, with the gate code, allows access to the shops, pubs and eating places in the city. It is a practical safe place to overnight, rather than a mooring to raise the spirits, but we will not hesitate to use it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I am most grateful to Martin for drawing attention to this part on his website. It is very useful accurate and practical advice. We moored last night in Thomas Telford basin in Piccadilly Village. It would, I know, not be everyone's cup of tea, as a modern basin surrounded by apartments. It is however a quiet mooring, provides a safe resting place for anyone wanting a recuperation period between the Ashton locks and the Rochdale 9, or vice versa, feels completely safe and, with the gate code, allows access to the shops, pubs and eating places in the city. It is a practical safe place to overnight, rather than a mooring to raise the spirits, but we will not hesitate to use it again.

We are going to be going down the Marple flight at the weekend with an overnight somewhere around Romiley or Woodley. Did you stop anywhere along there and find any nice spot to moor (with a pub would be a bonus)

P&H

Sorry, Pete and Helen, we moored just after the Marple aqueduct and the opened up tunnel. We didn't fancy going further, though there were places in Romiley which looked fine as we passed the next day. We didn't venture out to find a pub, as we were always going to eat on board. The mooring was good. We managed to get in to the side. There must be civilisation somewhere near by as there were lots of towpath walkers and an alluring scent of curry on the air! Sorry not to be of more help.

Richard.

We are going to be going down the Marple flight at the weekend with an overnight somewhere around Romiley or Woodley. Did you stop anywhere along there and find any nice spot to moor (with a pub would be a bonus)

P&H

I have overnighted several times about 100yds north of Romiley bridge without trouble. The Duke of York pub is nearby. In recent times I have seen several boats apparently CMing on the Lower Peak. Without entering into the merits or otherwise of CMing, the fact that they feel safe doing so can only reflect well on an area which once had a fearsome safety reputation.

George ex nb Alton retired

I have overnighted several times about 100yds north of Romiley bridge without trouble. The Duke of York pub is nearby. In recent times I have seen several boats apparently CMing on the Lower Peak. Without entering into the merits or otherwise of CMing, the fact that they feel safe doing so can only reflect well on an area which once had a fearsome safety reputation.

Thanks for that George, I had looked at the area you have suggested and the Duke of York, although some recent posts on other sites suggest that the landlady isn't what she was when first taking over, and the beer not being up to scratch at times. So had thought of walking a bit further into town to check out the other pubs on offer.

Pete & Helen

Thanks for that George, I had looked at the area you have suggested and the Duke of York, although some recent posts on other sites suggest that the landlady isn't what she was when first taking over, and the beer not being up to scratch at times. So had thought of walking a bit further into town to check out the other pubs on offer.

Pete & Helen

Just to correct a point, I don't know my norths from my souths. I meant 100 yds South of the bridge. I think 100yds north may be a more doubtful proposition.

At least in Romiley you have other pubs to try but I have no knowledge of them. I last had a pint of cask in the Duke of York a few weeks ago and it was fine on a hot day having steered Alton down the Marple flight for Brian and Ann-Marie( in 1hr 35mins, but they did all the hard work!).

Hi to you

We did the cheshire ring 2 weeks ago

Bridge 14 at Romiley justpassed is a good place to stop over night Duke of YORK PUB 2 mins walk turn left at bridge 14 best pub around good food black sheep ale new owners cash only .

SUggest if only 2 on board get help or go down with another boat as the water is gushing over top and is nearly impossible to open lock gates on Rochdale 9 locks

Hardy Scot

Thanks Hardy, Not going further than the peak forest. Just a weekend trip out from New Mills. May give the DofY the benefit of the doubt and partake of an ale or two to try them out.

Good info for those going that way about Rochdale 9.

Pete & Helen

Well. At Telford Basin, there was a man watering the plants just as we arrived. I asked him. He gave me a number, which was correct, but for one number. He seemed a bit confused - or maybe it was me! Anyway, we passed someone coming in as we went out of the gate, so didn't need the code. When we couldn't get back in, I got the attention of a hire boat moored on the offside online moorings outside the basin, which also need the code, who put me right on the wrong number. Hope you have better luck!

Richard

We moored there 3 weeks ago and I asked a resident for the code, she said the local residents had been told by security not to give the security code to boaters. I can understand this as eventually it will get into the wrong hands eg. a property gets robbed, then the facility will be closed to casual boaters. I think Telford basin should be treated as an overnight stop only, so no need to go outside. Although you can only get 3 longish boats in there it is a very handy stop off place and we don't want to lose it.

I urge anyone that has the security code not to give it to anyone else, and certainly do not put it on this forum.