Gas Cooker

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

That one looks fine to me (provided you have the space!). It needs flame supervision on all burners which is mentioned on the hob. The ovens always have it, but no mention of it on the grill. Highly likely to be fitted but it doesn't actually say so.

The BSS rules are here: http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/

Bear in mind on a new build you also have to comply with RCD (not just for gas) and the rules for that are a whole nother ball game in addition to BSS.

MtB

In particular, Check 8.4.3 (Are non-portable appliances properly secured against accidental or unintended movement?) requires that non-portable appliances must be incapable of unintended movement in any direction, that securing systems must be installed on all non-portable appliances and that securing systems and their fixing points must be of suitable strength, show no signs of fractured mounting brackets and not have loose, missing or fractured bolts or nuts. Effectively non-portable freestanding appliances must not be freestanding.

As long as there is no chance of it sliding about or falling over following an impact of some sort there should be no problem. It can be secured with chains screwed to the bulkhead and hooked onto the cooker which can be quickly removed should you wish to pull the cooker out.

May be worth letting your builder know asap as it will effect your ventilation requirements.

The BSS examiner will assume you have a boat full of people and are cooking a Christmas dinner using all hob burners and both ovens, together with any other gas appliance you have fitted, all at the same time, with the doors closed. ( At least he did with mine). Finished up with roof and doors full of ventilation holes.

John Hinch

As long as there is no chance of it sliding about or falling over following an impact of some sort there should be no problem. It can be secured with chains screwed to the bulkhead and hooked onto the cooker which can be quickly removed should you wish to pull the cooker out.

May be worth letting your builder know asap as it will effect your ventilation requirements.

The BSS examiner will assume you have a boat full of people and are cooking a Christmas dinner using all hob burners and both ovens, together with any other gas appliance you have fitted, all at the same time, with the doors closed. ( At least he did with mine). Finished up with roof and doors full of ventilation holes.

John Hinch

If its a private boat then ventilation is not a BSS fail point

When I had it examined nearly four years ago the Examiner totalled up the kw on all burners, grill and oven together with the rating for the Alde water heating system and told me I needed so many square inches of ventilation. I even changed the flying saucer type of ventilator for mushroom in order to reach the requirements and my boat is private.

If what you say is true then it appears I mistook his 'advice' for 'statutory requirement'.

The plus side is I can now have a BBQ inside without any problems.

Thanks for all the replies.

The builder is aware that this is the cooker we want him to fit. He was worried that there would be no fixing points on the cooker that would allow him anchor it. If there were none then he would maybe have to drill into its frame to create some and in so doing invalidate the warranty.

agree with the others, especially mtb, also i'd suggest using a stability bracket as well as a chain (about £1.50 from screwfix, ebay etc), also a micropoint bayonet and (red striped) lpg cooker hose for best practice to allow for cleaning. the micropoint bayonet and hose doesn't take up as much room as a standard one behind the cooker.

ETA all the freestanding cookers i've seen have fixing points for a chain (and a bracket slot)

one more point, check there's enough room to lift the lid right up, as it will have a cutoff valve built in for the gas.

Edited by ridders