Okay, Mabel, now what's going on?

Featured Posts

It is not floating on water, though. And I've not said it is. It just IS red water!

Just emerged from the bilge again now. It is 100% not diesel. The oil pad that's been in it all day lifted out clean, the red water just ran off and left it practically dry. Another smell test - nope, fragrance free. Smell test on diesel drip from Eber confirmed I'm the olfactory genius I always thought I was, that red water ain't diesel.

All the joints in the diesel lines that I'd put kitchen towel round had no sign of a diesel leak either. (Eber is still slowly dripping diesel though, but that is not related to the red water under the engine)

And when my new boaty neighbour saw me furtling and came for a nosey, I asked him if I was going mad and that I have a leak of a magical diesel which has no smell, no oiliness and no burnability. He took a look, stuck his hand in the red water and smelled and and confirmed, that most definitely isn't diesel.

He advised me not to taste it but as it has no smell, if it does turn out to be coolant then it's lost it's smell too or is dilute enough not to have any.

So... unless someone's dropped a sachet of blackcurrant lemsip under the engine, what do I do now!? Coz two weeks ago there was no red water in the engine bilge and now there is. So summit has happened. :blink:

Clean up the bilge, and anything else you can reach, as best you can and see if it recurs, and see if you can see where its coming from.

Are you saying the red stuff is:

- odour free

- miscible with water

?

If needs be, I can see what a drop of 2 stroke oil is like/does with water. I suspect its like any other oil though.

Hi

I had a similar problem on a previous boat. Despite several visits by RCR they also did not identify the leak as diesel and gave up their investigations stating it was a leaking shower pump! What was confusing the issue was that there had also been a water leak some short time previously and this robbed the diesel of the usual smell etc.

I eventually traced it to a fractured fuel pipe which only leaked with the engine running; easy fix when I found it (ish) but I'm afraid your problem sounds almost identical to mine.

Good luck!

Ian

Do you work in IT, Mike? That's and IT consultant answer that is. :rolleyes::blink::D

I don't believe in weird stuff like that not being symptomatic of summit I will need to be very concerned about sooner or later

HiI had a similar problem on a previous boat. Despite several visits by RCR they also did not identify the leak as diesel and gave up their investigations stating it was a leaking shower pump! What was confusing the issue was that there had also been a water leak some short time previously and this robbed the diesel of the usual smell etc.I eventually traced it to a fractured fuel pipe which only leaked with the engine running; easy fix when I found it (ish) but I'm afraid your problem sounds almost identical to mine.Good luck!Ian

Interesting... But did it also rob your diesel of the ability to be absorbed by and oil spill pad, and rob it of any burniness?

I'm getting tired of cleaning that damn engine bilge. I've done it twice since the gearbox was done. :angry: Now it's full of shite again.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Do you work in IT, Mike? That's and IT consultant answer that is. :rolleyes::blink::D

I don't believe in weird stuff like that not being symptomatic of summit I will need to be very concerned about sooner or later

Interesting... But did it also rob your diesel of the ability to be absorbed by and oil spill pad, and rob it of any burniness? I'm getting tired of cleaning that damn engine bilge. I've done it twice since the gearbox was done. :angry: Now it's full of shite again.

From memory, and it was 10 years ago mind, I think it wasn't absorbed by the pads that RCR gave me - didn't set fire to any though so can't answer that one!

Do you work in IT, Mike? That's and IT consultant answer that is. rolleyes.gifblink.pngbiggrin.png

Interesting... But did it also rob your diesel of the ability to be absorbed by and oil spill pad, and rob it of any burniness?

I'm getting tired of cleaning that damn engine bilge. I've done it twice since the gearbox was done. mad.gif Now it's full of shite again.

No but my ex does!

You need a Wickes wet N dry vaccuum cleaner. It will klean out yer bilges in a flash...

Errr...

MtB

Try using disposable nappies. I get mine from Wilkinsons they are dirt cheap, 'scuse the pun.

I reckon each nappy absorbs up to four pints so you might not need too many and they don't need leccy. I just dispose of them in the regular rubbish dumpster.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

No, no crack detection fluid

I can name another dozen red liquids if you want to see if they are in there

Have you had a briefest of looklets at your diesel pipe connections?

Richard

Keep up at the back! ;) Post #51

So the dozen red liquids most likely to be in the engine bilge are

1. Diesel

2. Coolant

3. Crack detection fluid

4. Two stroke oil

5. Tiger blood...

:P

Edited by BlueStringPudding

This has been going on for over 48 hours - there are people all over the world arguing in pubs over what the red fluid really is. We really need a result soon, or Wimbledon will be cancelled, the Test match will be declared a non-event due to lack of interest and should it go on for another 48 hours, we will all have missed summer waiting to find out whether someone really has been eating beetroot and peeing in Mabels engine room. I think I know who it was but I'm too frightened to say.

1. Diesel

2. Coolant

3. Crack detection fluid

4. Two stroke oil

5. Tiger blood...

6. Ribena ?

7. Pickled Beetroot juice?

8. Raspberry squash

9. Rusty water with cochineal added

10. Martini Rosso al frappé

11. Blood orange juice

12. er - - some other red stuff

3. Is this used along with sniffer dogs ?

12 = hematuria ? rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ray T