Cassette cleaning question

adelleandlee

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask a quick quesion, I have noticed a build up of what I think is callcium in our thetford cassette, and wondered if anyone could suggest a safe product or home remedy to soak/clean it with?

Apologies if this has been covered before

Many thanks

Lee.

As an aside, I know someone who wants to know how to get the flush-tank lid/cap out of their half-full main cassette....

:D

MtB

Monkey here,I am sure I offered someone a pair of very heavy duty elbow length rubber gloves recently and I was turned down with a sarcastic comment, shall I be smug?

Thetford sell a product just for that purpose. I got a bottle in a fresh-up kit I bought the other day. You just pour it into the cassette, add water, shake it, then leave for at least 16hrs. The alternative is the hands-on approach!

This one http://www.towsure.com/product/Thetford_Chemical_Toilet_Cassette_Tank_Cleaner

Edited by rgreg

Now why does the cynic in me think this just .... .... rolleyes.gif

In a 'posh' container at an inflated price.

Well, of course, like anything branded Thetford it's not cheap and there are probably cheaper products available that will do the job. I got mine "free" in a fresh-up kit and it does what it's meant to.

Thanks guys, I now have my shopping list for the said task,

1 - elbow length rubber gloves

2 - kettle descaler

3 - large amount tesco vinegar

4 - cleaning cassette tape

5 - thetford fresh up kit

6 - nutter with baseball bat, check.

I will give it a good mix up holding at a "safe" distance with my elbow length rubber gloves, if It fails to work I shall let the nutter with a baseball bat loose on the said cassette and watch from a safe distance!

Wish me luck!

Edited by adelleandlee

As another, and better, alternative, you could instal a larger tank, with a convinient external outlet, which can be emptied periodicaly, without you needing to get anywhere near the 'product'.

<You know it makes sense>

I have a Thetford CS200 or similar (cant remember). We use it, empty it, rinse it, pop it back in, add some water, add some blue/alternative....and the cycle begins again.

Am I missing something, or am I supposed to also buy some gloves, additive, to give it a "service".

ps....we've had it 2yrs, and it seems fine (except for the broken "full" indicator which we dont need because, well, in our case, someone always shouts..."PLEASE CHANGE THE CASSETTEEEEEEE!!!!"

eta - thetford not tetford

Edited by DeanS

My 365 Porta-potty is 14 years old and never had this calcium bother and I don't use any additives whatsoever in it. I think your diets need investigating, too much dairy products and tea drinking is probably responsible I'd say. closedeyes.gif

A few everyday things that will work:

Cheap coke (full of phosphoric acid) leave to soak over night.

Viacal - pretty instant.

Vinegar - another soak over night

Jenolite rust remedy - full of phosphoric acid and wont harm the plastic.

Tesco toilet descalent.

Oust - might be an expensive way of doing it!

Good tip: Always worth paying particular attention to the rubber seals both the main seal and the one that seals the yellow door blade opener - limescale effectively grinds them away. Also lubricate all the moving bits with silicone rubber grease afterwards.wink.png

Can you not give them a good rinse out with ordinary disinfectant now and then? I always empty mine, and give it three or four rinses with water, shaking it around then emptying it before I put a bit of water and Thetford blue or whatever I'm using.

On the final rinse I'm always tempted to slosh some water and a drop of Dettol around in it, would that damage it?

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't tried Viacal on the pot but it had an amazing effect on the scale around the taps.

Always cautious about what to use to clean as I use yeast rather than Blue or similar - don't want to kill all those lovely little bacteria I've been cultivating :-)

Did mine today, we have a guest using loo in engine room at night, take out swivel elbow, remove dump seal, get old washing up brush with good bristles and get your arm in, it is very satisfying, you could eat your dinner out of it, replaced dump through seal, a bit of silicone grease and it is as good as new.