A few interior pictures.

canals are us?

Featured Posts

Well over the last few weeks I have gradually done a few improvements to my boat interior like laying a reclaimed parquet hardwood floor. What a dusty dirty jobblink.png ! Spent three days cleaning the old bitumen off the back and then installed, sanded and finally 3 coats of saicos harwax tropical combo oil. I would prefer more of a shine so next time a coat of the gloss finish. It's lovely to use and no sanding needed when it wears.

Then I built a step out of plywood and clad the step parts in the same as the floor. Then finally finished the stained glass windows, as you can see I did decide to do all four, and modified the door panes to give me a larger clear glass lower part.

At some point, as funds allow, I want to make an L shaped sofa with drawer storage underneath. Next job when it arrives is the installation of a mains battery charger.

Some picturesbiggrin.png .

Boat006_zpsf770dc32.jpg

Boat012_zps1ca2108d.jpg

Boat003_zps694fcfbf.jpg

I'm very pleased with how it's lookingcool.png

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

lovely floor!

i'm going to put down teak reclaimed parquet next week - what adhesive did you use. my bits have a small amount of bitumen on them but not enough to chip off. I read that you need compatible adhesive :unsure:

It really looks lovely, and so light! Our boat is a very similar layout, but has no windows in the doors or on each side of them as yours has, and it really is noticeable what a difference it makes. And I just love the stained glass!

Oh, and I have a chair upholstered in the same fabric as yours! Not on the boat, but in my conservatory biggrin.png

Thanks everyone for the positive commentscheers.gif

Magnetman the adhesive I used was lecol 5500. Even though they wouldn't quarantee this to stick the parquet down having existing bitumen on the back. I scraped off as much as I could, and the adhesive stuck the parquet perfectly to the 18mm plywood subfloor.

Bought from here http://www.directflooringcentre.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=164

I also emailed flooring installers and the one that replied had never had a problem using lecol 5500 adhesive on reclaimed parquet.

I then used the tropical combo by Saicos. See here http://www.woodyoulike.co.uk/blog-news/tag/Saicos.html?tmpl=component

You can also fill any gaps between the parquet with this http://www.directflooringcentre.co.uk/lecol-UK/lecol-7500-resin-filler-1kg I didn't as the dust was incredible!! Hired an edging sander to remove the previous surface. 8sqm produced a 1/3rd of a dustbin bag full of sanding dust It went everywhere!

You wouldn't want to install a reclaimed parquet floor as the dust from sanding was unreal. Literally sweeping it into piles after each sanding session. The picture below is quite tame, for dust level! The parquet came from a demolished school and so had different wear thicknesses.

Dont forget to leave an expansion gap all round, I only left around 6mm as the parquet should be quite seasoned. You could remove any skirting and refit or use quadrant mouldings to hide the expansion joint.

Floorsanding_zpse90778e0.jpg

The steps I made are freestanding and removable for access to the water pump and stoptap which are behind the hinged door. I may at some poin install drawers on the vertical riser sections. I also want to install a door on the tv unit.

Thanks everyone, Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

Looks fantastic well done a top job.I did that many years ago on my first house and swore never again 20+ years ago,and so far I haven't.I could hardly move for two days after using the bigger sander(think lawn mower type),and the dust,ohh the dust(goes away mumbling).

Thanks everyone for the positive commentscheers.gif

Magnetman the adhesive I used was lecol 5500. Even though they wouldn't quarantee this to stick the parquet down having existing bitumen on the back. I scraped off as much as I could, and the adhesive stuck the parquet perfectly to the 18mm plywood subfloor.

Bought from here http://www.directflooringcentre.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=164

I also emailed flooring installers and the one that replied had never had a problem using lecol 5500 adhesive on reclaimed parquet.

I then used the tropical combo by Saicos. See here http://www.woodyoulike.co.uk/blog-news/tag/Saicos.html?tmpl=component

You can also fill any gaps between the parquet with this http://www.directflooringcentre.co.uk/lecol-UK/lecol-7500-resin-filler-1kg I didn't as the dust was incredible!! Hired an edging sander to remove the previous surface. 8sqm produced a 1/3rd of a dustbin bag full of sanding dust It went everywhere!

You wouldn't want to install a reclaimed parquet floor as the dust from sanding was unreal. Literally sweeping it into piles after each sanding session. The picture below is quite tame, for dust level! The parquet came from a demolished school and so had different wear thicknesses.

Dont forget to leave an expansion gap all round, I only left around 6mm as the parquet should be quite seasoned. You could remove any skirting and refit or use quadrant mouldings to hide the expansion joint.

Floorsanding_zpse90778e0.jpg

The steps I made are freestanding and removable for access to the water pump and stoptap which are behind the hinged door. I may at some poin install drawers on the vertical riser sections. I also want to install a door on the tv unit.

Thanks everyone, Jamescheers.gif

thanks for the advice :)

I decided on a reclaimed floor as I hated the carpet that was there as it was difficult to keep clean as I always come in at the front staight into the salon and so got dirty. I have a cat too that scatters his cat litter over the floor sometimes, so wanted something that was wipe cleanable.

The wood floor is ideal and adds character, the wood shows it's varying colours and lovely grain. A type of mahogany. I think it's Miranti.

When I was looking I particually wanted the glazed front and standard layout, as I liked having the front to look out of and the doors open of the main salon when the weather gets better, if everrolleyes.gif

Thanks Dignity, Comfortably numb and your very welcome Deckhand.

Jamescheers.gif

The floor looks amazing and I know what you have gone through to clean, fit and finish it, not something everyone is prepared to do but well worth the effort. Just one annoying point its actually wood block flooring far superior to parquet flooring.