London Assembly and Moorings

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

She is the Rapporteur

Which appears to be French for protractor

A green party assembly member who ran for Major against BJ in the last election.

Thank you, that's more helpful

Richard

I assume this was sent to CRT or is it an open letter calling for feedback?

It was sent to CRT, RBOA, IWA and to other interested parties who are involved with boaters

Edited just saw NABO were also on mailing kist

Edited by cotswoldsman

Thanks for sharing this John. So do you think it's ok for us all to reply as individuals, or are they just looking for organisations to respond at this rate?

At the very least I would expect RBOA to be replying 'on my behalf', but if it's appropriate I'll certainly respond as an individual as well.

Cheers,

Lucy

It was sent to CRT, RBOA, IWA and to other interested parties who are involved with boaters

Edited just saw NABO were also on mailing kist

Thanks John will check that NABO have it and respond

Thanks for sharing this John. So do you think it's ok for us all to reply as individuals, or are they just looking for organisations to respond at this rate?

At the very least I would expect RBOA to be replying 'on my behalf', but if it's appropriate I'll certainly respond as an individual as well.

Cheers,

Lucy

I would say anyone effected should reply or should I say anyone with an opinion and that should be everyone. If they succeed in London dictating where and when boats should moor then where will be next????

Edited by cotswoldsman

Alternatively it might not be all doom and gloom and they might work towards changing planning policy to free up unutilised canal-side land for use as residential moorings.

ETA just found this:

When I meet the Green Party’s London mayoral candidate Jenny Jones, it is a cold, grey morning in February and the City Hall looms over us like a rather squashed leaning tower of Pisa. For Jones, this peculiar, albeit crucial, construction in which she has had a seat since 2000 will come to define the next few months. But we aren’t here to talk about tube fares or tax evasion. We are here to talk boats.

As a co-owner of a narrowboat at the St Pancras Cruising Club, Jones, a member of the Green Party since 1988, firmly believes that a Liveaboard lifestyle is a sustainable one. The 62-year-old says: “Most people who use the waterways a lot are low-impact people. I mean, they may not be Greens with a capital G but they are certainly greens with a small G. They’re concerned about wildlife and the environment...[continues]”

Edited by Jambo

Alternatively it might not be all doom and gloom and they might work towards changing planning policy to free up unutilised canal-side land for use as residential moorings.

ETA just found this:

This is the part that concerns me

- Air and noise pollution from stoves, diesel engines and generators on boats, and

compliance with, and enforcement of, rules governing these.
- Overcrowding and congestion of canal-side moorings and their associated
services.
 To identify steps that responsible bodies could take to alleviate these problems.

link to london.gov >>>>http://www.london.gov.uk/moderngov/documents/s23752/Appointment%20of%20Rapporteur%20to%20Investigate%20Canal%20Moorings%20in%20London.pdf

I don't think it's unreasonable to look into both air and noise pollution from boats. Air quality is a big problem in London and boat stoves, engines and generators are, for the most part, pretty filthy. Working to clean them up would be a good thing in the long term in my view (I'm especially encouraged by the move towards solar that is going on) but I expect that any investigation would find that boats contribute a very small fraction of London's particulate and NOx emissions as road transport is a far bigger source.

As I mentioned above the lack of residential moorings is a serious issue. I think this needs to be looked at by a body with a bit of weight so that changes can start to be made.

I'm just thankful it's Jenny Jones who is involved as she is a reasonable person and it's encouraging that they have chosen someone who is familiar with the way of life.

Jenny? Does one wonder whether this is her influential cruising club once again trying to push things in an advantageous way towards the removal of as many of the increased numbers of boaters who have come into London, something they apparently complain about a lot of the time.

OMG! It must be all these new boaters CC'ing around the city who are alone responsible for the massive increase in overcrowding on the tube! No wonder we need more trains!

'Consultations' are a waste of time. What we need is a paradigm shift. For a start London is becoming a rich playground and boats are just NOT WANTED. BUT there WILL be more boats in and around London - there is no doubt about that. But do not try to make it some problem that is the boaters' alone. We need to realise that is the very product of economics, job markets and housing policies and NOT the fault of boaters.

Such approaches could be a prerequisite towards a London based 'UMBEG.' However by decree looking on the other side there are just far too many cars, too many parked and not going anywhere, there's no convivial space. Thousands of entire streets are a feckin' eyesore of vehicles parked bumper to bumper. There's also too many people also and drastic steps should be taken to control numbers coming into London. In short the boater does practically nothing to compound the many problems London faces, but a target nevertheless because they are easily and readily identifiable.

Jenny? Does one wonder whether this is her influential cruising club once again trying to push things in an advantageous way towards the removal of as many of the increased numbers of boaters who have come into London, something they apparently complain about a lot of the time.

OMG! It must be all these new boaters CC'ing around the city who are alone responsible for the massive increase in overcrowding on the tube! No wonder we need more trains!

'Consultations' are a waste of time. What we need is a paradigm shift. For a start London is becoming a rich playground and boats are just NOT WANTED. BUT there WILL be more boats in and around London - there is no doubt about that. But do not try to make it some problem that is the boaters' alone. We need to realise that is the very product of economics, job markets and housing policies and NOT the fault of boaters.

Such approaches could be a prerequisite towards a London based 'UMBEG.' However by decree looking on the other side there are just far too many cars, too many parked and not going anywhere, there's no convivial space. Thousands of entire streets are a feckin' eyesore of vehicles parked bumper to bumper. There's also too many people also and drastic steps should be taken to control numbers coming into London. In short the boater does practically nothing to compound the many problems London faces, but a target nevertheless because they are easily and readily identifiable.

Do I read your post that you are suggesting replacing UMBEG with HUMBUG?

Maybe set up checkpoints and prevent folks from entering London, ban cars?

not sure how to post youtube now

Time for a new computer?

Thanks, really helpful. Since I have the latest MS-Word and OP system etc. I would have assumed I could read it but the doc opens with just bad text regardless of what type of encoding format I use.

Really droll comment, No doubt you did not read my post properly.

Clearly you'd like the gentrification of our waterways to continue and nimbys to dictate where and when boaters can moor. No problem. Shan't even bother with consultation documents or campaigns. Let the bigwigs have their way.

Jenny Jones is OK - her boat is called Arthur Dent (was in the flotilla). I can't imagine many of SPCC have too many problems with CC's as most moor at SP basin itself or have allocated moorings. I've joined them for 4 boat trips now and they have been OK.

GLA reports are normally well researched and supported.