Llangollen end of May

gabble

Featured Posts

Hello everyone, I've been reading this forum for over a year now, but this is my first post.

We are heading up the Llangollen at the end of May, in no particular rush and after some expert advice on when to time arriving at the town to avoid it being too busy. I think I've seen it said Saturday is a good day?

Also planning to take in the Monty.

Any top mooring spots, we like peaceful and remote over popular bow to stern moorings ideally.

gabble

Based on last summer I would say weekends are the quietest, we arrived on the Sunday and left on the Tuesday morning. I was told that Tuesday and Wednesday nights are the busy days as that is when the hirers get there, having started on the Saturday typically.

Here is what the basin looked like as we arrived at 6PM on Sunday 5 August 2012

pict1247.jpg

And on the Monday evening, quite a bit busier, but still no where near full

pict1282c.jpg

Edited by john6767

I would recommend Ellesmere, by the lakes just east of the tunnel. Photo here. Moor early in the afternoon - only ten mins walk from the town.

For quiet moorings:

* the Prees branch, on the way to the marina, and

* the straight section to the NW of the junction between the branch and the main line. Last time I was there I moored the stern of the boat in Wales, and the bows in England.

I would recommend Ellesmere, by the lakes just east of the tunnel. Photo here. Moor early in the afternoon - only ten mins walk from the town.

Yep..we moored there last summer. Lovely spot. Ellesmere - nice little town. Great deli, nice little tea shop with great coffee and home-baked cakes (if you like that sort of thing). Also a Tesco - if you need it - right by the canal basin.

We also moored in the small Whitchurch arm. Only a couple of boats, very quiet, and no hire boats whooshing past in order to get back to base in time. A nice walk into the town- which is very attractive. Good beer and food at the Black Bear, and - if you've got one - they welcome dogs inside.

An isolated spot is the long stretch by Whixall Moss, a SSSI and one of the ‘jewels in the crown’ of British wildlife - again, if you like that sort of thing. There's plenty of signposted walks. The canal is wide there, so even the speed merchants don't really disturb.

Enjoy!!

It's also very rural and peaceful on the stretch between Whixall and Ellesmere; good views across the fields on the embankment between Bettisfield and Welshampton. Also the stretch between Ellesmere and Frankton (and on up to St Martins) is very rural.

If you head towards the eastern end then you might as well be on another planet on the run down to Whitchurch from Whixall Moss - it's that remote! To be honest the Platt Lane area feels a bit strange; it's a small settlement but very much cut off from normal civilisation. The pub there that burnt down 5 years ago has been untouched since, need I say more... Slightly more 'normal' remote and pleasant spots further down include just above Marbury lock, between Marbury and Wrenbury and a good stretch of ring moorings half a mile below Baddiley locks.

Edited by Philip

From my experience this weekend it might be better to arrive Friday - it was much busier Saturday night, though nowhere near full.

I am moored tonight on the Montgomery awaiting booked passage through the locks tomorrow. BTW Nicholsons (2012) is wrong on timings - it is 1200-1400 every day. There is a 48 hour mooring just behind - room for two boats and off the "main line" so no little danger of being rammed by some of the crazy hire boats. No busy roads or trains and a quiet spot. No views from inside the boat due to hedges. No pubs or shops.

the Monty is a must. Go right to the end, through the lift bridge, turn and come back. we spent 48 happy hours, moored, sitting out the rain, just before the strange building that is Canal Central. very handy 10 minute walk into the village of Maesbury where you can get a bus to Shrewsbury, or, as we did, Oswestry, for supplies. only 15 minute bus ride away. Food at the Navigation Inn excellent too. One of our favourite canals.

the Monty is a must. Go right to the end, through the lift bridge, turn and come back. we spent 48 happy hours, moored, sitting out the rain, just before the strange building that is Canal Central. very handy 10 minute walk into the village of Maesbury where you can get a bus to Shrewsbury, or, as we did, Oswestry, for supplies. only 15 minute bus ride away. Food at the Navigation Inn excellent too. One of our favourite canals.

What a shame that it won't be a through route to Berriew anytime soon! The Welshpool section is in a bit of a sorry state nowadays.

I am currently on the Monty and it is well worth it. Just had a glorious short dawn cruise. Currently a suspected breach and very low water between Aston locks 2 and 3. Aground twice and I draw 22 inches. The shop at bridge 80 has not been there for some time (2012 Nicholsons still shows it), so not many supplies. There is a canal shop selling milk at bridge 80 and a farm shop advertised at bridge 79. Nicholsons is also wrong on opening times at Frankton. 1200 to 1400 every day and has been for at least two years. Booking advisable - only 12 boats per day allowed.

I think there is a bus service to Oswestry from bridges 76 and 79.

We did Llangollen last year. Hired from Trefor on Sat 19th May and there was plenty of space, though you do have to pay to moor overnight close to Llangollen. It's free a bit further out. If you want to do The Monty, you will need to ring and book passage but if you speak to the 'parking warden' at Llangollen, he'll advise how you can book. We phoned on the Sunday to book passage on the Monday, but if you do book pasage, be sure to be at Frankton locks early as a queue will form.

Llangollen basin and warf is only £6 per night so very reasonable. Strict enforcement of 48 hours and you cannot move from one to the other. Free electric and water on (poor) pontoons - not sure about water on wharf.

Update on Monty:

No post Office at Maesbury Marsh (years) but there is a post box 200 yards south;

No boatyard (decades);

Good shower, Elsan disposal, no rubbish and, I think, no water

Bus service and much better moorings than bridge 76 and the advantage of adjacent pub

Good farm shop - milk, fruit and veg

Good TV signal and fair phone on 3

Read the sign on lift bridge before winding hole before knackering yourself - operate SLOWLY (guess who did not read the sign!)

Lovely spot and at bridge 80

Llangollen basin and warf is only £6 per night so very reasonable. Strict enforcement of 48 hours and you cannot move from one to the other. Free electric and water on (poor) pontoons - not sure about water on wharf.

Update on Monty:

No post Office at Maesbury Marsh (years) but there is a post box 200 yards south;

No boatyard (decades);

Good shower, Elsan disposal, no rubbish and, I think, no water

Bus service and much better moorings than bridge 76 and the advantage of adjacent pub

Good farm shop - milk, fruit and veg

Good TV signal and fair phone on 3

Read the sign on lift bridge before winding hole before knackering yourself - operate SLOWLY (guess who did not read the sign!)

Lovely spot and at bridge 80

£6 is only reasonable if you've come down the Llan, moored up, had a trip on the steam train and cleared off again. We've a weekend boat locally, and go down to Llangollen quite a bit - £6 / night adds up for a mooring that is effectively free everywhere else. I don't think anyone would say it was reasonable if every urban 48 hour mooring charged £6/night. I haven't got hook-up, so free elec is not really an incentive. I'd rather a decent shower/ toilet block. the rather primitive shed on the main line before the narrows is often quite unpleasant inside. There is water on the wharfe. I'm not sure why, but the taps are at ground level, which means a hose is essential, and given the number of dogs walking up and down that path, the covers on the taps can be a little smelly. Anyway, rant over - I appreciate nothing is changing there anytime soon, and it's free (and much,much quieter) in the winter.

The Montgomery is a different matter- currently a haven from the summer insanity on the main line. There IS water at Maesbury - it's a lovely, well kept toilet block. It doesn't have bins, but you can drop rubbish on the Western Arm on the way in/out. The Navigation will also sell bacon/eggs/milk etc. Well worth the walk down to Pant and the next watered section at Llanymynech. Keep a pair of binoculars to hand - lots of wildlife arround and the wildflowers this weekend were amazing - carpets of primrose and bluebell, and the fist signs of early purple orchid as well