Broadlands Cruisers

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering selling forest & getting boat number 2.

Living on forest has been great for nearly 2 years however its very restrictive finding residential moorings on the Medway for a 42ft boat.

I'm booked in to view a Broadland Swan - 1946 build (wood hull & cabin)

coming from a narrowboat I realise maintenance will be very different & more regular to keep on top of her.

What would be needed though? she has a survey from 2011, repainted 2012.

first thing would be a new hull survey, BSC work & repair engine's I believe she has an inboard Lister.

Thanks for any help :)

James

I don't think the boat you are looking at is Broadland Swan

Wooden boats= very HIGH maintainance and costs fatigue.gif

Yes that old myth makes me weary too.

Broads cruisers are pretty easy to maintain and, if in good order, cost little more than a steel boat to keep on top of.

If it needs a lot of work, though, then it can be a money pit (just like a knackered steel boat needing loads of plating).

Edited by carlt

I don't think the boat you are looking at is Broadland Swan

Yes that old myth makes me weary too.

Broads cruisers are pretty easy to maintain and, if in good order, cost little more than a steel boat to keep on top of.

If it needs a lot of work, though, then it can be a money pit (just like a knackered steel boat needing loads of plating).

From what I can find on her history she's a Ripplecraft Broadlands Swan, more info will be gained on Saturday & i'll be booking a survey should I even think about it seriously.

tbh the wood side worries me a bit but along the Medway boatyards aren't really setup for narrowboats - mine was craned & loaded on a flatbed last year so that cost a fair amount!

In stead of 4 year blackings I'm guessing that's cut to 2 in wooden boats?

James

I do know that the boat has had shedloads of work done to it.

The owner back in 2009 was interested in buying my lifeboat and I was sorely tempted to offer a swap for his boat but he stood me up for a viewing after I'd travelled all the way to Essex to meet him so we lost touch.

From what I can find on her history she's a Ripplecraft Broadlands Swan,

She's a Ripplecraft Broadland Class and her original name was "Broadland Swan".

Her immaculate sister that I have posted an image of is "Broadland Swift"

In stead of 4 year blackings I'm guessing that's cut to 2 in wooden boats?

I'd antifoul on the Medway, rather than black...every 2 or 3 years.

This was her at Benfleet in October 2010:

Broadlandswan3_zps306d8861.jpg

As you can see there is a fair lump of new wood in her.

Edited by carlt

Thanks Phil,

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to what she is I've seen an advert from 2005 stating she's 35ft- I'll find out for sure Saturday not I know what to look for :).

James

see this is what I'm unsure off,

I'm prepared for more maintenance, but boat yards on the Medway are more geared towards cruisers than Narrowboats, even smaller ones like forest.

So antifouling every 2/3 years instead of blacking every 4 should be reasonable.

Varnishing the top decks & above waterline shouldn't be too bad as I can do those afloat. I have a mate who's a carpenter by trade and can teach me what I need to know..

James

Edited by Jamesb4uk

So antifouling every 2/3 years instead of blacking every 4 should be reasonable.

Varnishing the top decks & above waterline shouldn't be too bad as I can do those afloat. I have a mate who's a carpenter by trade and can teach me what I need to know..

This is the beauty of wooden boats, especially Broads cruisers.

If you have reasonable woodworking skills or the ability and willingness to learn then you can do all the work yourself.

The Bagdad Boatman says that a wooden boat owns you but,in my opinion it is a far more equal relationship than that and so much more pleasant than being owned by the boatyard that maintains your steel boat.

I'm seeing that as a general rule Carl - could be a long term project!

There is conflicting information as to if she's Falcon or Plover - length in the 2011 survey seems to suggest the later at 35ft.

I've asked for a hull survey as there was some concern over the transom and she's had a GRP shell over the original wood deck - like you said truly chopped about.

but still more character in my eyes & worth taking a closer look at.

James

Edited by Jamesb4uk