boaters target boaters

Trix

Featured Posts

No, what you got initially was clear explanations and informative theorising from people who spend a lot of time on the canals (and the forum) and have seen these same issues discussed and brought up many times before.

But you chose to totally bypass taking them on board and ignore them (while accusing others of doing the same to you!) in favour of cherry picking the parts of posts that you wanted to take issue with and getting disillusioned and annoyed that everyone didn't share your pique, all in between shoveling in a hefty dose of rabble rousing, sarcasm and blustering of your own.

What I got was you taking the first shot. You didn't answer my questions in any sort of friendly way, you poked me with a stick and when I took offence, you pounced on me. I am not going to stand by and let someone sling insinuations at me without giving it right back. You are correct in saying some gave me answers (to which I am great full) but you just couldn't stop nit picking. Even now you are seeming to take everything I say personally like I am out to get you for some reason. I am sorry you have taken a few innocent questions the wrong way. I am sorry that I have asked questions that have already been asked in the past and that has upset you. I am sorry the world is not perfect. I will feel sorry for all of those newbies who will ask, for the umpteenth time, " what do you think of this boat" or "where can I find a NB for under £10,000" and get the royal treatment. That is as close to an apology you will get from me tonight for asking such a thoughtless question. It won't happen again because life is too short to spend so much time in a defensive mode.

Ok, let's go shall we?
What I got was you taking the first shot.

You made inflammatory and ill-informed statements from your very first post in this thread, including:

"I didn't want to read all the banter, banter, blah, blah"

"Does the CRT know how many boats are just sitting on the canals, taking up good mooring space whose registration has run out this year, last year, or earlier? Does anyone on this forum ever let them know or do you just ignore and carry on?"

"...saw a few boats not currently registered, looking like crap, some filled on both ends with junk. "

"if I have to pay my fees on time and keep currant while someone else just parks their boat and leaves it to rot (which most seem to be doing)."

"Does anyone let the CRT know about these boats? Does anyone care enough to let them know? "

So to paraphrase as this read to me and others: "I can't be bothered to read the rest of the thread, but are none of you concerned about any of these issues or just too insular and selfish to act? I see unlicenced boats (not even getting into how you were/are unable to distinguish between displaying a licence and having one) in a condition I find displeasing to the eye, and don't see why if I ever get a boat I should have to pay while most people just "park their boat and leave it to rot." Don't any of you have a sense of responsibility about this, and inform CRT?"

Later interlaced with your "I am spelling the words out because you are thiiick" and randomly meaningless statements on mooring "in the middle of nowhere," "Turning those bastards in" and passive-aggressive lines such as "feel free to defend that point too."

You didn't answer my questions in any sort of friendly way, you poked me with a stick and when I took offence, you pounced on me.

I asked you if you had a basic, fundamental grasp of how to tell if a boat was licenced or not, as your post clearly indicated that you were associating non displayed licences with not having a licence.

Your first post was offensive/ intended to elicit a negative reaction, your later posts even moreso, and you still ignored the questions and clarification you were given.

I am not going to stand by and let someone sling insinuations at me without giving it right back. You are correct in saying some gave me answers (to which I am great full) but you just couldn't stop nit picking.

You made a plethora of insinuations about the boats/boaters in your initial posts, I challenged your perceptions, you took umbrage. If you can't take it, don't dish it out, particularly when you are not correctly informed to start with. Correcting misapprehensions and complete disconnects in knowledge vs reality is not "nit picking."

Even now you are seeming to take everything I say personally like I am out to get you for some reason. I am sorry you have taken a few innocent questions the wrong way.

Am I? Or you projecting somewhat there?

I am sorry that I have asked questions that have already been asked in the past and that has upset you.

I am perfectly comfortable with the fact that this forum causes the same questions to come up over and over again a lot of the time, but throwing into a thread that already contained a lot of divergent opinions with "I haven't bothered to read the thread, but..." Is hardly a strong start, is it? but upset me? Again, please stop projecting!

I am sorry the world is not perfect.

Now you're going for the slightly overdramatic there really, aren't you. The state of the wider world is hardly relevant, but to many (most?) of us, a perfect world does not include getting wound up over where people choose to moor, if a licence is displayed, and making it our business to take to task those who do not display them.

I will feel sorry for all of those newbies who will ask, for the umpteenth time, " what do you think of this boat" or "where can I find a NB for under £10,000" and get the royal treatment.

This was me, and I got an amazing reaction here, so I don't need your sympathy, thanks though! I can fairly say that this is the first time that I have ever, literally, been accused either directly or subversively of beating up on a newcomer, so I guess that means my "forum clique" badge is in the mail! Yay! Being a relative newcomer, btw, doesn't mean that people are verboten from calling you out on posts that are poorly informed, or correcting your misapprehensions or disagreeing with you.

That is as close to an apology you will get from me tonight for asking such a thoughtless question. It won't happen again because life is too short to spend so much time in a defensive mode.

Awesome! Thinking before you post is always to be applauded. Cheers!

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 1

judge.gifI know I am new and don't own a boat yet

Not sure if this was covered in any of the 16 pages because I didn't want to read all the banter, banter, blah, ?

You could at least read the title of the thread

boaters target boaterssmiley_offtopic.gif

smiley_offtopic.gif

Edited by Offcumden

I knew I shouldn't have gone to bed early, miss out on all the fun!

As I have at some point been in the position of not displaying a current license, having a "scruffy" boat and mooring in the middle of nowhere(know what u mean about axe wielding nutters starwink.png ), I am in no position to judge. Especially as I am not displaying a number on my boat and the name on the current disc is not the name on the boat! Opps

Well, well George94, calm down eh !!

Sanctimonious I am not,

sanc·ti·mo·ny (sabreve.gifngkprime.giftschwa.gif-momacr.giflprime.gifnemacr.gif)

n.
Feigned piety or righteousness; hypocritical devoutness or high-mindedness.
I have lied, I have never exaggerated an insurance claim, always paid my taxes, always park on a double yellow line when I can get away with it, have driven a vehicle when I shouldn't have after about 3 or 4 pints, not dropped any litter and always pick up my dog's shit.
I still think that rules are rules. It might be a tough experience for you to go through but I wonder how many of the above mentioned you have done? Not that I really want an answer.
If there is a licence to be paid, then I will pay it. Unlike other scroungers who might try and buck the system. Fair is fair. If I think that someone is bucking the system, I will not go to the bother of checking their licence on the web, but will hand it over to the authorities who are PAID to carry out said checks.
Oh well !!

I know what sanctimony means, old chap. That's why I used it.

It is obviously right that people should pay their licence fees. After all, they get twice as much again in value as a gift from the government.

But, and it's a big but, do we really want a society where neighbour snoops on neighbour? It sounds pretty hellish to me.

Presumably you have one of these little tread gauges, and go around measuring people's tyres. And a decibel meter. And an exhaust analyser.

There is no end to what a nuisance you could be if you put your mind to it.

But I won't give you any more ideas. I am afraid you will use them.

A no-dobbing-in culture is normally reserved for the schoolyard and prison. It is promoted by those who wish to act anti socially without wanting to be bought to task. Fortunately many in society don't subscribe to this attitude, and would for instance report such acts as benefit fraud (which is surely virtually identical to licence evasion) as well as more serious crimes such as assault, theft, vandalism to name but a few. I will have to admit that there are more and more people in society who are only interested in their own tiny worlds, but this trend is one to be resisted not encouraged. Its unfortunate, though not entirely surprising, that you are proud to be one of these.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 3

madcat, on 15 Oct 2013 - 9:20 PM, said:madcat, on 15 Oct 2013 - 9:20 PM, said:madcat, on 15 Oct 2013 - 9:20 PM, said:madcat, on 15 Oct 2013 - 9:20 PM, said:

I've avoided this forum because I got royally fed up of the attitude of some posters, its all here on this thread.

Madcat, are you in any way related to the queen M'lady?

Ange, on 15 Oct 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:Ange, on 15 Oct 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:Ange, on 15 Oct 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

A lot of people (us included) actually like mooring in the middle of nowhere but as close to a pub as possible.

I'm struggling to see the relevance.

Edited by Doorman

I know what sanctimony means, old chap. That's why I used it.

It is obviously right that people should pay their licence fees. After all, they get twice as much again in value as a gift from the government.

But, and it's a big but, do we really want a society where neighbour snoops on neighbour? It sounds pretty hellish to me.

Presumably you have one of these little tread gauges, and go around measuring people's tyres. And a decibel meter. And an exhaust analyser.

There is no end to what a nuisance you could be if you put your mind to it.

But I won't give you any more ideas. I am afraid you will use them.

Yup, your are quite correct. I was that policeman.

Evening all !!

Aren't there some naughty children around here today?

They must be children, because unlike many adults on here, they don't take life, or more importantly themselves, too seriously!

You should try it occasionally, it certainly beats Valium!

Edited by Doorman

The difference between a car and a boat, is that its a legal requirement to display the tax disc on a car, whereas it's not a legal requirement to display a boat licence. In fact CRT seem to be making noises about getting rid of paper licences altogether.

So whilst I will report unlicensed boats, this status cannot be determined by looking at a bit of paper in a window, but only by using the online licence checker.

TBH I thought that there was no requirement to display the licence. I recently got (wrongly) issued a patrol notice for a different alleged offence, but there is definitely a section on the patrol notice for "lack of displaying licence." (or words to that effect.) I was a little surprised to see this.

TBH I thought that there was no requirement to display the licence. I recently got (wrongly) issued a patrol notice for a different alleged offence, but there is definitely a section on the patrol notice for "lack of displaying licence." (or words to that effect.) I was a little surprised to see this.

As I said in post #354 (or thereabouts) the CRT website clearly says that it is a legal requirement. I would have assumed that it would say something similar when the license was issued but as I have never been responsible forgetting the license I don't know.

BW bylaws:

(1) The owner of a pleasure boat or commercial vessel shall not
knowingly cause or permit to be used on a canal any pleasure
boat or commercial vessel in respect of which a pleasure boat
licence or commercial vessel licence has been issued unless the
licence for the time being in force is displayed on the pleasure
boat or commercial vessel in such a manner and position as to be
clearly visible from outside the pleasure boat or commercial
vessel at all times.
(2) No person shall knowingly cause or permit to be concealed a
pleasure boat licence or commercial vessel licence required to be
displayed on a pleasure boat or commercial vessel in accordance
with this Bye-law.

'careful with that axe Eugene'

Ah, you heard he'd become a gardener then!

As I said in post #354 (or thereabouts) the CRT website clearly says that it is a legal requirement. I would have assumed that it would say something similar when the license was issued but as I have never been responsible forgetting the license I don't know.

Sorry haven't read all the posts. As you say, it certainly would appear to be a legal requirement. I wasn't aware of that until I got wrongly accused of overstaying on a visitor mooring (that I wasn't on!) My wife always gets and displays the licence :)

BW bylaws:

(1) The owner of a pleasure boat or commercial vessel shall not
knowingly cause or permit to be used on a canal any pleasure
boat or commercial vessel in respect of which a pleasure boat
licence or commercial vessel licence has been issued unless the
licence for the time being in force is displayed on the pleasure
boat or commercial vessel in such a manner and position as to be
clearly visible from outside the pleasure boat or commercial
vessel at all times.
(2) No person shall knowingly cause or permit to be concealed a
pleasure boat licence or commercial vessel licence required to be
displayed on a pleasure boat or commercial vessel in accordance