Sliding hatch lock?

nickfryer

Featured Posts

Hi all. In my new narrowboat build, I am looking at ways of locking the sliding roof hatch from outside so it can be used as my main entrance/exit when leaving the boat.

It's a standard hatch, lift up and slide forward and then open a pair of stable doors towards you.

I DON'T WANT TO HAVE A LARGE PADLOCK ON VIEW ( sorry for shouting)

Any pictures or suggestions would be great.

Thanks. Nick

Is it metal or wooden?

Could you drill a hole in the runner at the rear of the hatch (when in the closed position) and put a padlock through the hole?

Or one of those locks like they fit to showcases to stop people sliding the doors open. Put one in the side of the hatch such that it protrudes under the runner when it is locked.

Just a couple of ideas.

In my old boat I had bolts either side into the steel on the sliding hatch itself, then the doors had top/bottom bolts and a deadlocking Yale. Had to slide the hatch bolts closed first before closing and locking the doors but when locked there was no evidence of vacated boat. When coming in you unlocked door then slid the hatch bolts if needed (though most of the time I just ducked through door. In my case the doors opened inwards but I think it would work just as well with your setup.

If the doors are rebated together you could use bolts to secure the hatch and then bolts to secure the first door and a mortise or yale type lock to fasten the second door.

If the hatch has to be lifted to allow the doors to open past the front edge of the hatch then life is much more difficult. Its sometimes possible to use bolts at the forward edge of the hatch to stop it sliding and lower the tops of the doors to make them open without the need to lift the hatch. Sliding hatches are usually a pain to line and finish neatly,and most people compromise with a hasp and staple

I know you dont want padlocks but the simplest way to secure the back of a NB is to have a steel bar across the inside of the doors and a hole in the runner just in front of the slide when its closed that will take a padlock.

I have no lock on my hatch, just the back doors.

I have a piece of wood that fits inside the hatch and 'locks' it as it cannot be slid open with the wood in place.

The wood is about 2 feet long..smart varnish, and is located inside in such a way that it cannot be dislodged.

I'm aprehensive about 'tough' locks as ...if someone decides to break in...they probably will..and do lots of damage to doors and hatches....(what do others think ?).

I have no lock on my hatch, just the back doors.

I have a piece of wood that fits inside the hatch and 'locks' it as it cannot be slid open with the wood in place.

The wood is about 2 feet long..smart varnish, and is located inside in such a way that it cannot be dislodged.

I'm aprehensive about 'tough' locks as ...if someone decides to break in...they probably will..and do lots of damage to doors and hatches....(what do others think ?).

That sounds like it may work thanks for the idea.

• 1 year later...

IMHO, a visual deterrent such as an outside padlock is the best way to deter [petty] thieves. If it looks like a noisy/lengthy task, they'll move onto the one.

We're having two fixed brackets welded on, one on the edge of the (lifting) steel hatch and one on the door (rebate holds the other). A hole in each and a padlock ensures that only an angle grinder will get them in.

and you do not expect them to come equipped then.

Yours may deter the opportunist but...

The best security is the one you cannot see.

On our boat you cannot know whether we are on board or not.

Worked so far.

One of the best pieces of security is a sign that says your boat, house, whatever is alarmed. When would be thieves see an alarm company sign, they generally move along to a less risky target. It makes no difference if there really is an alarm, it's the notice itself that deters the thieves.

Edited for fat fingers.

Edited by Paul G2

We ended up fitting an American type Yale lock.

This looks like a standard Yale from outside and is fitted onto the closing leaf of the back door but it latches onto the sliding hatch and the two cannot parted without the key.

No room to get a grinder in.

You can't tell if the boat is occupied or not as generally with padlock on show.

We can get out quickly in an emergency.

Easiest way in. Break a window !!!!!

I have one of these bolts welded onto each side of the steel hatch. The bolt goes through a hole in the side of the hatch runner. The padlocks just stop anyone pushing the bolts back in from the outside, but it doesn't need to be a lockable padlock.

CAM00483_zps8ae986ee.jpg

I once watched someone with an angle grinder take about 20 mins to get an ABUS Disclock off

20 mins? Did that include a tea break? tongue.png

Edited by blackrose

and you do not expect them to come equipped then.

Yours may deter the opportunist but...

The best security is the one you cannot see.

On our boat you cannot know whether we are on board or not.

Worked so far.

No I don't expect people who steal from boats to come well-equipped. Of course an angle grinder will get into any boat no matter how secure, but it's going to make a lot of noise and I've never heard of a single case where one has been used.

Anyway, it's easy enough for someone to knock on your boat with some excuse to see if you are in.

My van lock that's in full view has worked so far too.

The best security is mooring up near other boats and getting to know your neighbours.

Edited by blackrose

I spotted these at Clas Ohlson. Seems quite cheap, and battery operated, so no installation as such, and may be enough to startle a would be intruder sufficiently to deter any break in attempt.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Pressure-Mat-Alarm/36-3751?LGWCODE=363751000;83827;4797&gclid=CIiF5uGDkMUCFYHJtAodaCsA0A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Virtually all the hire boats we've ever had over the last 20-odd years all seem to use small bolts on the inside of the sliding hatch which engage with holes on the inside of the rail.. well, when I say engage, they don't always. I've always thought this was a rather poor way of 'securing' a boat. In fact, one year we managed to break in quite easily when someone managed to lock the boat with the padlock keys still inside. If it was my boat, I would be looking for something a bit better than a 3" bolt.

I would also echo the poster who says that if someone is determined to get into YOUR boat, then they will. This might sound harsh but if your boat is (.. or more to the point, looks..) more secure than the next one, then they might try that one instead of yours...

Edited by Pete of Ebor