My dad, the Macmillan fundraiser!

Tony Wonfor

Featured Posts

I've posted the links on my FB page and will try to add it to Twitter too...can I suggest everyone else does the same if they use social networking?

Funds raised now top £1400....let's try and add a nought to the end of that!

Tony, if you could just post some sort of itinerary, it would be a great help so people could publicise it in advance...

Janet

• Greenie 1

Tony, if you could just post some sort of itinerary, it would be a great help so people could publicise it in advance...

I think one of the most endearing aspects of this journey is that the trip seems completely unplanned save for end point and turn round point.

John carries on until he is too tired, wet, or needs a beer.

....and then carries on again next day until he is too tired, wet, or needs a beer....

Fantastic story and good luck, I hope I catch him on the way back up.

It's brilliant, isn't it?

Still, it would be good to have a rough idea of where he was going to be so we can generate as much advance publicity as possible...

I'm absolutely loving following his adventures. One huge hearted guy.

Janet

I've posted the links on my FB page and will try to add it to Twitter too...can I suggest everyone else does the same if they use social networking?

Funds raised now top £1400....let's try and add a nought to the end of that!

Janet

I have been doing that for a couple of weeks now

Janet

I suggested that, but half the time he doesnt know where he is, let alone where he is going next.

I too have been following this 'story' and totally agree that your Dad writes as he sees it.......making a really good read.

So I've just done something I should have done a couple of weeks ago.......

My daughter works at Macmillan in their head office in London in the national fundraising team - she co-ordinates their national walks programme. Today I told her about Mr Wonfor, the challenge he has set for himself, the comments on here and his wonderful commentary as he travels the canal system that we all love and use. I also told her to talk to ( ie grab by the throat ) the co-ordinator of the Macmillan Challenge programme and get this story some national coverage. Mr Wonfor's giving page shows a total raised so far of about £1,300....a great amount, but I think there should be some noughts on the end of that by the time he finishes...so come on Macmillan, jump on this story....and Mr Wonfor...I wish I could be more like you:clapping:

I've only just spotted your post after being away on holiday and struggling to get a regular Internet signal.

My wife started her 'Just Giving' site for Cancer Research UK and with the overwhelming generosity of thousands of people, not least some of whom on this forum, raised over £10,500. During the initial time of raising the money, she contacted the regional co-ordinator for assistance whereby banners and 'T' shirts etc., were forthcoming .

That was great, but following incredible efforts by friends and relatives in organising charity nights, disco's and fancy dress evenings, Chrissie found it almost impossible to gain recognition for these kind people in the form certificates or letters from the charity. Considering how much is depended upon by these organisations to maintain funds for future patients and research, you would imagine that the people whom are charged with encouraging support would show a little bit of appreciation.

In posting a certificate on the wall of a Social Club, pub or even the assembly hall of a school, this would hopefully illustrate how grateful the charity was for all of the efforts afforded by the people involved and somehow inspire others to do the same in future. It was embarrassing to have to inform the headmistress of a top school in Manchester, that following the initiative of one of her pupils to hold a school disco in aid of cancer research and her wholehearted endorsement, we could not gain a certificate in recognition of their work.

It is when someone like John Wonfor takes up the challenge and in doing so, reignites our awareness of how important charities such as MacMillan support are, are we nudged into donating whatever we can afford towards such worthy causes. Surely, if anyone deserves to be highlighted by the people who run the MacMillan Cancer Support, then John does.

• Greenie 2

Passed today between Clifton and Culham locks on the Thames...

has a nice wave..I think he needs some sun cream on his face though!!

Passed you too Dave..hope you are having a good summer off the K & A!

• Greenie 1

next posts

woken up by someone discussing the boat i was sleeping in , at six in the morning , they walked away with the conclusion that no one could sleep in the pop up tent thingy, i smiled to myself.
i set off early , the crap in the canals stops my boat constantly , but i cant alter that , slow progress but i get to the basin in birmingham at two'ish , a nice little place , trendy.
as i make my way south i have thirteen locks to contend with , then six , then another six , the last six were like the back of beyond , junkies , drunks , ladies of ill repute , this place had them all ,plus more crap in the canal than i have seen as yet , i kept my windlass in my hand at all times , tip for the day , use windlass for self defence.
as i come out of the last lock of the day , at camp hill , i am glad to see that i have arrived at another very nice , almost new shower toilet block, plus a nice place to plug my pooter (computer) into , and heat.
a harrowing , wet experience, today was , good bye birmingham.
only thing i really miss about this trip is my music , loud ,quality music, stair way to heaven , something to look forward to .
donations have dried up , no people about to donate , i will carry on with this trip even if no one donates another penny , i will pretend that i am on holiday .
i did try to crank up this venture before i left home but tv , papers etc seemed to not be interested , they prefer murders or doom and gloom , so i will make it what i can

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i get a nice dinner and wet to boot , five more locks , and more "effing" rain, i give in to the weather , and seek refuge in another pub , i leave there at five and i can do nothing else but go to bed , at five , you try it , fourteen hours trapped in a box.
will this rain ever go away, if you think i am going on and on about the rain , well i am.
wed,
today, i am up to date again.
no rain, creepy , i set off and within a mile it was raining , "kin'ell" , whats occurring?
sod it i keep going , i turn up at a long tunnel , i duly get myself a cold shower , do i care , i came out like a drowned rat , next up is a cafe , breakfast , and twenty one locks , pooh!.
half way down two volunteer canal trust workers help me , Clive and Howard , both retired , what nice blokes , thank you for your help guys.
then disaster , i was winding up a sluice , i looked back at my boat for some reason, half of it was under water , i thought it was holed and sinking , but i had wedged it under a piece of wood , one kick and up she popped ,brown trousers that was .
seven more locks , and a nice pub turns up , plus the sun made an appearance .
alchoholism looms .
boat names , rioca by baby , soddem hall, and revenues revenge, good eh.
good night all ,

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

thurs 16th and friday17th.

i never know where i stop for the night , but last night i stopped in long itchington ,low on petrol so i ask a coach driver where i can get some , he took me there , thanks catterills coaches the two pub dogs were guarding my boat when i got back i had to persuade them to move , bless em.
more locks , loads of locks , but i am not phased by them any more .
nacton junction to fenny compton , miles and miles of nothing but really nice country side , on and on it went , never been so far in england without seeing any thing or any one .
i arrive at fenny compton at six thirty , i cant beleive where the day went , a trouble free day , and no suicidal tendancies .
i now realise that the canal folk are holding this venture together , they are a great bunch , thanks to you all.
whilst i was in the proverbial pub an australin lady donated , she is a paliative nurse in oz , by the time she left i was in tears , quietly , wooz aint i .
friday.
this morning i am woken by two bleedin great pigs in the field behind me , what next .
back on the canal,miles and miles of the same , country side , no people , no rain either .its almost boring.
i stop at upper heyford on the stroke of seven , a sign says " the barley mow " , it did not say it was a mile away!, sods, but it was nice.
boat names, p45, and malingara.
i have started seeing crocodiles , they are actually logs but when you have been on a boat for this long on your own , they are crocs.
ps i met a guy named ian , long dreds down his back , unshaven , a while back i would not have got into a conversation with a bloke like that , but this is the canal system , he had opted out of society as a whole for various reasons , and what a nice guy , sad to see he has to seek refuge away from certain people .

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

saturday 18th.

before i leave Heyford , i make myself a cheese roll, the roll is four days old but no sign of mould, it does the job .
one mile on and i stop for a cup of tea , a guy called hadrian runs the cafe , he has done a daft trip like mine , on a homemade bone shaker bike, well done him.
next thing a much awaited drama , a narrowboat belonging to a marina has conked out right across the canal, honda to the rescue , with a line attached to the stern , " thats the arse end of the boat " my boat pulled this sixty foot thing into the marina , nice to be of use.
then i share a lock with eric, eighty three and single handed , he has no intention of giving up the river , bless him, i help him do two locks but he was more than able to manage his self.
a lovely lady named jill pulled me up and asked what i was doing for macmillan, she duly gave me a donation that i think was due for other things, thanks jill,
oxford by canal is great , but then all of a sudden i am on the thames ,it may as well been the amazon , i cant swim and if i went in, there is no way this guy is swimming to the nearest bank , i will find my life jacket in the morning , i really will.
it is very wide as soon as you get on the thames and this is where the oxford boat crews practice , with me ploughing through the middle of them all , blimey they are fast , you cannot know unless you are amongst them or rowing one yourself.
the thames is very clean and clear of stuff, no more declogging hopefully.
forgot to say that the culprit for waking me up this morning goes to a pidgeon, it landed on the roof of my abode , clonked about for a while and flew off, it occured to me that the animal kingdom is aware of me and now are queing to wake me up , thing the pidgeon heard about me on " twitter " , a joke , sorry.
most of the locks on the thames so i am told are electric , this smacks of money to me .
last of all , i would not be doing this trip at all if my carol was still alive , i am for the most part enjoying it but i wish she was there to take the piss out of me , maybe she is .
park up, catch up with this , and bed , via the pub . night night .

923051_608419489169368_1819995843_n.jpg

941115_608419409169376_1753208661_n.jpg

247720_608419332502717_78285794_n.jpg

941242_608419242502726_999237307_n.jpg

936760_608419089169408_1853405700_n.jpg

Would you mind if I copied these to his facebook page Alan?

You are more than welcome, Tony. I almost said so in my original post.

I also have a short piece of video filmed on my video camera. PM me if you would like it - I cannot upload to photobucket as it is not an accepted format.

Alan, can you upload it to Flickr?

I'm sure there are loads on here who would like to see it!

Janet

Fraid not. It is a camcorder file. I know it is possible to convert to MPEG but have not got round to investigating. PM me if you would like to have it.

Why didnt you stop in Thrupp at Annies Tearoom. Lots of people there may have contributed.

I'm following the route and mapping it on google earth. When I speak to him I try and give him a heads up of whats ahead and I actually told him about the tearoom in Thrupp. Its very possible he stopped there but hasn't mentioned it.

Dad's down South now and rolling along the Thames alongside huge multi million pound houses with moorings with huge cruisers parked up. And yet the donations seem to have dried up. As has the conversation. sad.png You would think he'd be raking it in now but the rich don't seem to want to part with their money. He met a couple of americans the other day who introduced him to a retired NHS doctor who obviously had a few "bob". They explained what he was doing (largely hinting for him to give up some cash) and he just walked away. Unbelievable! (not real canal people lets face it. Its all just status for the rich)

If anyone sees him on his travels, PLEASE can you offer him a shower! He said last night that he hasn't had one for a week and he's desperate The shower blocks seem to have have dried up. He hasn't seen one for ages. Obviously the rich along the Thames don't want that sort of thing reducing the value of their properties!

I think he'd miss food for a day just to get a nice shower!biggrin.png

Dad's down South now and rolling along the Thames alongside huge multi million pound houses with moorings with huge cruisers parked up. And yet the donations seem to have dried up. As has the conversation. :( You would think he'd be raking it in now but the rich don't seem to want to part with their money. D

That's why they're rich!

One can only hope that they are never exposed to cancer and it's life changing effects, because all of their money won't help them other than being able to cry into their champagne rather than beer glasses.

They appear to have forgotten the phrase; 'it is far better to give than to receive'. :-(

Edited by Doorman

None, maybe someone else should try. What about the Breakfast show - any contacts?

I've emailed the BBC Breakfast Show with info on John and his cause.

Surely his gallant efforts will be more newsworthy than some ponce spouting about how M&S are struggling to make their stores pay in these very tough times for retailers. My heart goes out to them!

I know where yr coming from

This is his latest blog. Not good. He's taking in water and he's a bit worried about having a back up engine. He originally took an electric engine as he was told he could find lots of charging stations. He's hardly found any so that was a waste of time! He passed near to Honda the other day and popped in to tell him what he was doing and asked if they could donate an outboard. You can guess what the answer was!

So if anyone has a small outboard that dad could even "borrow" as a backup, he'd be most grateful.

tuesday.
apart from taking in water , i have an engine problem , my intention was to use my electric powered outboard , but with no reliable power supply it is of no use ,so i have no back up engine , a thought came to me , i am not far from hondas headquarters , so with my cap in hand i try to get them to donate or lend me a spare motor , four hours and a lot of buses for nowt , but at least they replied , i tried, my charm has run out.
back on the river by two oclock, and by four i am now on the river wey , hand operated locks and all .
i stop at a pub , maybe i should put down that i did not stop at a pub , i now live from the pubs.
i am in weybridge, out side the anchor.
i have been told that i am doing well , but donations have died , the people down here are as tight as fishes arseholes ,people rarely say hello, i mean that dont cost much,or is it me.
boat names " up yaws " , and " marrow boat ", it was green and yellow.
tip for the day , when you are approached by tarquin driving his motor cruiser at twice the legal limit dont try to get as far away as you can , you end up surfing , what you do is aim your boat at him as you go by and get in his wake , smooth or what , plus you have time to smile and swear at him as he goes by, its abit hairy but it works.
the river wey is a bit boring , maybe it needs the sun on it , but its probably me having the hump.

I've emailed the BBC Breakfast Show with info on John and his cause.

Surely his gallant efforts will be more newsworthy than some ponce spouting about how M&S are struggling to make their stores pay in these very tough times for retailers. My heart goes out to them!

I wouldn't hold your hopes up. As he left I emailed all the news stations as well as all the tabloids. I also emailed the local papers in Licolnshire, Llangollen, Yorkshire, Godalming and Thetford. I got 2 replies out of that lot from Thetford locals. Like dad says, all they want is sordid stories and doom and gloom.sad.png

I'm not so sure. The story about completing the journey is better than the one about setting out. After all, lesser men may have given up after a couple of days

He also has some anecdotes to share now which he didn't have at the start

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I'm not so sure. The story about completing the journey is better than the one about setting out. After all, lesser men may have given up after a couple of days

He also has some anecdotes to share now which he didn't have at the start

Richard

Good points Richard.

Maybe once John has completed his quest he'll get the recognition he deserves. All the same, a commentary along the way would have raised awareness and in the process raised the donations too.

Edited by Doorman