Electoquest ("Fairstone") ABC-1230D 30A Charger

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

This was the charger I decided to buy.

Electroquest ABC-1230 30A Charger

It seems to be manufactured by Fairstone.

I'm sure it is fine (!) but it suffers the usual problem of instructions that are near impossible to understand, due to very poor translation.

So has anybody that has one of these actually managed to work out what (if anything) you can do with it, other than connect to battery, switch on, and monitor volts and amps, as you watch it progress through an equalization charge (orange light) and on to float charge (green light).

It seems it will also estimate amp hours it has delivered, and this can be zeroed, and (I think) it also counts charge time, but the bit about "charge timer settings" I really don't get at all!.

Additionally what I really am unsure about.....

"Pulse Charge" and (particularly "Pre Charge") - Mentioned but not adequately explained.

The "two output" abilty to feed two batteries or battery banks. If you do this, what are the displays giving you? Total figures for amps etc for both outputs? I can't see any facility to toggle the display to read numbers relating to one output or the other.

Why do people supply £90 worth of kit, but can't manage to source a good set of English instructions? :banghead:

I can't find the instructions on-line, or I would have linked to them.

looks like it's got one button for selecting? is that right?

if you make a menu map (if that's what the button does) then we can tell you how it works.

the outputs won't be independent. What you need to find out is whether it's reading total (ie both outputs) or one output. I would guess split (on a 50/50) - ie its total amps but is easy enough to find out with another ammeter.

Again I'm guessing but;

pre-start is a bit like the old sterling did, goes into float-ish first before switching into bulk. It doesn't say it does equalisation charge, constant voltage is absorption. So pulse-charge is some kind of pimped up equalisation on the lines of those de-sulphators perhaps? But whether it's on a time thing (like solar chargers) or you can press a button I don't know. If you see it pulsing (with a mulitmeter on voltage) then you may see whether it also does a higher voltage equalisation.

assume it's this

http://www.yann-tech.com/english/right/product/Auto_Battery_Charger/ABC-1230M.pdf

so pulse is switched (the button?) not sure what a pul(s)e clock is - you'll have to poke it a bit to find that out. try holding the button.

and equalisation is what's commonly called 'absorption' 14.6V

Yes, that's the one.

Only one button, which normally toggles between 8 display modes.....

U = Voltage

A = Amperage

P = Percent

H = AH

t = time

E = End time

h = hours

C = Pre-Charger

but in some if you hold for over 3 seconds it then puts it into a situation where you can (somewhat clumsily) ajust or reset certain values.

I'll scan in the instructions, as I can't find them elsewhere.

Edited by alan_fincher

This was the charger I decided to buy.

Electroquest ABC-1230 30A Charger...

Why do people supply £90 worth of kit, but can't manage to source a good set of English instructions? frusty.gif

I can't find the instructions on-line, or I would have linked to them.

I trust you appreciate the irony, or was that unconcious?

'Why do people supply BUY £90 worth of kit, but when they can't manage to source a good set of English instructions?'

Just as one example, from the instructions Chris has found

in blue it says 'Temperature Compensation (Optional for Temperature Sensor)'

in black it says 'TEMPERATURE COMPENSATION' - None'.

Good Luck.

OK, I realise I should have done this as part of the original post.

Battery_Charger_001_zps2826b681.jpg

Battery_Charger_002_zps63320ccb.jpg

All help with translating and explaining in the areas I have particularly mentioned is much appreciated.

I'm keen to understand what I can tweak, and when it only changes the measuring and monitoring, and where it can actually influence how it charges, (and in what circumstances it is sensible to do so).

There doesn't appear to be any facility to attach any kind of temperature sensing probe, BTW

The actual model I have is ABC-1230D

to change is all on one button - press momentarily to toggle menu through options in a loop, press 1 second to run each setting through it's values in a loop, faster i guess is 2 seconds and hold it (3 seconds) to save the change (it might beep)

you can change;

Voltage (V) - not clear whether you can change this, I'd guess not.

current limit (A)

Battery level (P) - not sure what the O/P current adjustment is. It seems like it measures end of charging by current measurement so it needs an amp hour rating to be 10% of. eg 200Ah would be 20A (maybe?)

battery capacity (to calculate SOC measurement) (H)

timer time (not sure, might just be a display) (T)

time of absorption (E)

float time (h)

if it says end, the current was low before the end of the timer

if it's got a dot it ran out of time and went into float.

you can send it back to the beginning (i guess) by pressing the display key.

high voltage indication (Hi V) (when in float? or when alternator? solar connected?)

pre charging (time setting) (O.SC) - how long it charges at half power.

I am impressed though they've managed all this with much less buttons than a QX21

mind if it was me, I'd look and see if the current limit and AH settings were about right, plug it in and watch what it does (with a voltmeter attached). Poking the display buttons to cycle through and get an understanding of how the timer works (which is a lot more simple than they make out).

Edited by Chris Pink

Thanks,

All makes fair sense, although if it actually says things like you can set the battery capacity, I'm failing to see quite how, as trying to go into "set" mode when displaying "Battery Level P" appears to take you into the mode for "O/P Current Adjustment (for authorized technicians only).

I will experiment further tomorrow, but am currently banned from the room where it is all set up whilst my son is doing (what he considers to be!) more important things!

There's also no mention of how you do the 'pulse' mode, something to do with the 2nd graph means C on the charger - however it's not a high voltage equalisation charge more of a pulse (de-sulphator stylee)

On the 2nd graph is mention of T1, T2 and T3 which will be something to the times on the settings.

On the first stage (pulsing then half current) both LEDs will light

Edited by Chris Pink

Perhaps I'm being dense, but in "Charger Timer Setting" it says "when voltage > setting value"and in "Pre Charging" it says something "when battery voltage < setting value), but what you appear to be "setting" is a time. As you can't compare a voltage to a time, do you understand what "setting value" is being referred to in those two sections? I don't think I have seen anything relating to setting any voltage, have I?

"Setting value" is either a preset come on low voltage (it says it operates like this) or a voltage you set when the display reads V.

My feeling is that it's preset.

then the setting is a time and, again guessing, that's time T1 and T2

You do not seem to be able to enter any setting mode when in the voltage display, so I agree "setting value" seems to be some kind of preset value that currently I can only guess at.

I'm still somewhat confused about "pulse mode" and "pre-charge mode", which, seem to be two different things, (as I think you suggest).

The annotation on the graph actually indicates only in "pulse mode" will it alternate green and orange, and I have yet to see it do this, so am unclear what causes "pulse mode" to be initiated. No way I can see to force it.

Are we assuming "pre-charging", on the other hand, is the "50% charge" mode? If so it implies that this will have just an orange indicator, the same as normal charging, so I'm not sure how you know you are in that mode?

As far as I can see you can set the period that "pre-charging", (rather than "pulse charging"), runs for, (default 0.5 hours), but as I don't know what "setting value" may be pre-set to, I'm not sure if I know how to work out if it is ever entering this mode or not.

Also the only setting mode you appear to be able to enter from "P" "Battery level" or "Percent" is that "authorized technicians only" function, allegedly to adjust output current. I can get into that mode, but not apparently able to make an adjustment - perhaps it knows I'm not authorized!.

So I can't see ayway of setting an "Amp hours bank size" that might be used in any kind of "state of charge" estimate. When connected to a fairly flat battery percentage read around the 80 mark, so as it stands it is not much of a guide!

I currently have it charging the only battery of my bank of three that I think has anything left of a useable capacity, so I'll see how it does with that, how long to get to float mode, and what its estimate is on Ah it has put in.

• 1 year later...

Alan, I know it has been some time since your original posting regarding the Electoquest charger but I thought it may be interesting to hear your views having used it now since 2013. I purchased this model yesterday after reading all the previous comments on the make and model. I must say I agree with some of your initial comments regarding the instructions sent with the charger, they are awful. I have yet to fit the charger on the boat so any comments you can add will assist me greatly.

I don't have this charger installed permanently on a boat, and the intention was just to use it on an ad hoc basis.

If I am honest it has not had a lot of use, but for a while I have been suspicious it is not performing correctly.

It seems that if I do take it to the boat where a bank has lain unused for several months, it only charges on a normal charge for a very short length of time, and only at a few amps, before quickly going to a very minimalist float charge.

Now whilst it is possible that my batteries may be staying in very good health despite no charging for several months, I have to admit that based on what I have read about self discharge, it seems unlikely that they shouldn't need more charge after that time than this charger seems to want to deliver.

However I have never fully found the time to investigate - perhaps I just have a unit that is not performing to specification for some reason.

Sorry I can't help more, but I think several other forum members have these, and think some have them permanently wired in. They may be able to be more use!

OK, I realise I should have done this as part of the original post.

Battery_Charger_001_zps2826b681.jpg

Battery_Charger_002_zps63320ccb.jpg

All help with translating and explaining in the areas I have particularly mentioned is much appreciated.

I'm keen to understand what I can tweak, and when it only changes the measuring and monitoring, and where it can actually influence how it charges, (and in what circumstances it is sensible to do so).

There doesn't appear to be any facility to attach any kind of temperature sensing probe, BTW

The actual model I have is ABC-1230D

I have the same model charger but don't understand the instructions as above. Not going into float so this morning disconnected the leads to the engine battery and when I get back see if it's gone into float when I get back home charging the domestic bank only which were fully charged beforehand on a 20 amp charger.

Jamescheers.gif

What's do you rate Electroquest compared to Numax chargers ? About a £50 difference on the 30 amp models, same 12 month warranty though.

From the external appearance I think they are probably the same charger just marketed under different names.

I might be wrong, and the electrics inside could be different, but I suspect not.

When I looked before it was more normally the 20 Amp version that tended to come up for Numax, but I can now find quite a few references to a 30A Numax one as well.

Badge engineering on this kind of stuff is common, and I think from memory the underlying manufacturer is probably Fairstone?

Numax batteries are not overpriced, so that suggests their chargers might be worth the extra cost. Maybe built to a higher spec ?

Again Numax batteries are often exactly the same as another brand, but with a different label on.

I have had identical batteries in the bank at the same time other than one says "Numax" and another "Albion", and I have seen exactly the same thing badged as other makes as well.

After some research on this site and several favourable comments by members I decided to replace my 20 amp Mobitronic with the Electroquest 30 amp model. I have three 110 amp leisure batteries and one 110 amp starter. My Mobitronic only has one output with is connected to the leisure batteries. I have never had problems with the starter. I charge the system when out cruising with a Honda 1000 generator. My faithful Mobitronic has started to get very hot and the fan comes on as soon as it is switched on, so I think its on the way out.

Are there any members that have the Electroquest fitted so that I may get there opinions on its operation. I would be grateful of any help.

• 2 months later...

After some research on this site and several favourable comments by members I decided to replace my 20 amp Mobitronic with the Electroquest 30 amp model. I have three 110 amp leisure batteries and one 110 amp starter. My Mobitronic only has one output with is connected to the leisure batteries. I have never had problems with the starter. I charge the system when out cruising with a Honda 1000 generator. My faithful Mobitronic has started to get very hot and the fan comes on as soon as it is switched on, so I think its on the way out.

Are there any members that have the Electroquest fitted so that I may get there opinions on its operation. I would be grateful of any help.

just noticed your post and wondered if you have fitted the Electroquest unit and your opinion of it?