South East Visitor Mooring Proposals

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

As many of you will know, I have been battling with CRT for over a month to try and get them to provide any data that establishes that these proposals are actually necessary.

Most of the reasons we have been given throughout the discussions have now proved to have no basis that CRT can actually establish as fact.

If these changes go in, they can only possibly be made to work if CRT massively increase their spend on both monitoring and enforcement, and these are ongoing costs, not a once off. it eems crazy when CRT is strapped for cash, and looking for voluntary contributions to spend much extra money on these ill thought out proposals.

The alternative is that they do not end up enforced, and we end up with no greater level of compliance than already exists with longer stay times.

I am absolutely convinced that these proposals should be shelved, at least until any real evidence for the need is forthcoming - a view shared by both NABO and the RBOA. Additionally NABO doubt CRT have the powers in law to levy the large overstay charges that are a key part of the proposal.

The workshops to discuss this take place this week, and I would now urge anyone who is convinced that the proposal should be pulled to sign the petition, if you have not yet done so.

Thank you.

Link to the Petition

I cannot believe there are less than 700 signatories to this.

The trouble is that this proposal will affect all boaters not just the bridge hoppers.

When people realise it will be too late.

The trouble is that this proposal will affect all boaters not just the bridge hoppers.

Mainly because people can not see the long term effects, it actually effects people on Moorings more than anyone else. The other problem is that like the Council Members election last year it is being done at a time of year when boaters on the system are thin on the ground so unless a boater is active on the internet they will be unaware of what is happening.

I agree, although I think you might find getting. 660 signatures in favour of the proposals a great deal harder still!

NABO's detailed response to the SE Mooring Consultation can be found on the NABO website at www.NABO.org.uk/responses There you can see we question at length the lack of evidence and as Alan states the legality of £25 as a reasonable service charge (when CRT's own marinas only charge the equivalent of £10-14 for overnight stays which includes services like security and facilities) we also challenge the legality of the proposed no return rule.

Signed this when Jenlyn first posted the the link.

Although a leisure boater in the North who will initially will not be affected, the potential to be affected in the future is obvious.

I'm still not sure what the figure of '1332 needed' means though, needed for what?

Steve arbitrarily set a target number of 2000, but it has no significance otherwise that I'm aware of.

Not sure CRT will pay huge attention, but collecting even, say, 700 names rather plays down Sally Ash's early claims that boaters against it are in a very small minority.

Steve arbitrarily set a target number of 2000, but it has no significance otherwise that I'm aware of.

Not sure CRT will pay huge attention, but collecting even, say, 700 names rather plays down Sally Ash's early claims that boaters against it are in a very small minority.

700 out of the total number of licence holders is a small minority.

Really? Do you feel the minority should shut up then?

Dont put words in my mouth

Personally I dont care one way or the other about these proposals.

However I am starting To lean in favour of them.

700 out of the total number of licence holders is a small minority.

The vast majority of license holders are either unaware or unconcerned because they rightly or wrongly think it doesn't affect them.

From my current involvement I think you would struggle to get 700 signatures on a petition 100% in favour of the proposals.

If it will cost loads of money, and more oppose it than support it, how can it be a sound idea?

Edited by alan_fincher

Dont put words in my mouth

Personally I dont care one way or the other about these proposals.

However I am starting To lean in favour of them.

I was not putting words into your mouth ( difficult when I saw your foot already in it), I was asking you a question.

Due to the number of people asking to attend the feedback meeting there are now 2 meetings being held this week in Milton Keynes on 19 th and 22nd both of which are fully subscribed I believe. I would be astonished if CRT will have had time to fully consider all the feedback received (hopefully those that signed the petition also completed the feedback form) but we shall see.

The vast majority of license holders are either unaware or unconcerned because they rightly or wrongly think it doesn't affect them.

From my current involvement I think you would struggle to get 700 signatures on a petition 100% in favour of the proposals.

If it will cost loads of money, and more oppose it than support it, how can it be a sound idea?

I agree about getting 700 to support a petition in support, if you see what I mean, only because those in support will not be affected by the proposals so just wont bother to vote.

Its always the "antis" that shout the loudest.

Its always the "antis" that shout the loudest.

I don't think it starts out like that!

I'm very convinced that it was a relatively very small number of people with their own very narrow agendas that caused the proposal in the first place.

If however that was a majority view you might expect to hear it getting more support than it is, surely?

EDITED: On PC to sort out format - Can anybody tell me where I find square brackets on my HTC One Smartphone keypad? :lol:

Edited by alan_fincher

According to government guidelines on consultation, feedback should be considered from all sources. However, I would agree that CaRT will attempt to dismiss the petition if they think that they can get away with it.

They should not be allowed to do so.

• Greenie 1