Campsites

Bod

Featured Posts

I know in the days we caravanned the 'policing' of it wasn't particularly strong, I don't know if the clubs have tightened up on it but I think the CL owners that flouted the rules did so because they knew there was minimal chance of being caught.

I recall a couple got caught out when disgruntled neighbours dobbed them in to the CC/local authority (CL's are restricted to 5 vans by planning regs - they are exempt IIRC) but the enforcement action was pretty come day go day - though as I say may be stricter now.

But the caravaners are the ones to lose out. If the planners get involved the site shuts down, if the CC don't like it it stops being a CC CL site and the members who complained still dont get to use it. (Nice to put CC without being contentious)

Edited by ditchcrawler

• 3 months later...

What about Shaw Hall at Scarsbrick?, (Ormskirk branch or the Leeds Liverpool, near Southport) has a nice campsite with all facilities and a club house with entertainment on at the weekends its not far from Heatons Bridge pub that has real ales too..

But the caravaners are the ones to lose out. If the planners get involved the site shuts down, if the CC don't like it it stops being a CC CL site and the members who complained still dont get to use it. (Nice to put CC without being contentious)

Sorry didn't see this until Bluebell1 posted above.

It wasn't actually the caravanners who dobbed them in in, it was people from neighbouring properties/farms. They just about tolerated having a 5 outfit site next to them that didn't requires planning permission but when the owners started flouting this and exceeding what they were allowed they got fed up. Yes the caravanners will lose out if a CL closes but I don't think the neighbours would have been remotely concerned about it, in fact they would probably consider it a result.

• 3 months later...

What about just finding a suitable area to moor the boat near some woods with a bit of level ground?

That's what we did the other night, proper camping with a nice campfire. It was great.

I would be looking over my shoulder all the time for the landowner to come along, especially with a campfire. I used to camp out in the real wilds (in Scotland) a lot but I liked to keep a low profile even then.

• 4 weeks later...

I would be looking over my shoulder all the time for the landowner to come along, especially with a campfire. I used to camp out in the real wilds (in Scotland) a lot but I liked to keep a low profile even then.

I think the rules on wild camping in Scotland are a bit more relaxed then they are South of the Border. Certainly when it comes to Campervan Wild camping anyway!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I know in the days we caravanned the 'policing' of it wasn't particularly strong, I don't know if the clubs have tightened up on it but I think the CL owners that flouted the rules did so because they knew there was minimal chance of being caught.

I recall a couple got caught out when disgruntled neighbours dobbed them in to the CC/local authority (CL's are restricted to 5 vans by planning regs - they are exempt IIRC) but the enforcement action was pretty come day go day - though as I say may be stricter now.

In some (most?) cases although caravans are restricted to a maximum of five, they can have a specified extra number of tents in addition to the vans. At least one of the sites mentioned in this thread falls into this category .

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

No better site than the one by high house wharf , nether heyford. Gorgeous view, small site(never seen more than 7 vans) hook up available and water, lots of campers fish as well.

I also mentioned it in posts 5 and 47.....☺

Edited by matty40s

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...