Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I sometimes wonder how many old boats are condemned by insurance surveys (4mm plate thickness?) when the boat is basically sound. Couple that with a surveyor having an amicable relationship with a boatyard...

The plating had mostly been put on when she began to take on water due to the chine angle failing, but in places went quite a way up the footings.

IMAG0451.jpg

IMAG0580.jpg

IMAG0583.jpg

12 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

With a sensible more traditional 2 cylinder engine you have lots of space at the fore end to walk round.  

On Fulbourne, with a National fitted to the original bolt holes in the engine beds, the only way to cross is at the back end, stepping over the gearbox. The very limited space in front of the flywheel is blocked by the non-original alternator installation.

And the same is the case on Belfast with its non-original Lister ST3.

27 minutes ago, Cloudinspector said:

Keep up at the back! :)

17 hours ago, Chris-B said:

Just been listed on brokerage 

Elstree

http://www.tingdeneboatsales.net/boat-spec?BoatID=6389648

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2017 at 10:21, Mac69 said:

We finally got Beck off the bank at about 3pm, and arrived in Chester around lunchtime the following day. Two handed. It was almost exactly 30 years ago, so I'm a bit hazy on the detail. I remember winding the speedwheel too far off entering a lock, and being unable to restart the engine before ramming the gate at about 11.30 pm. 

" Cor" you must have been giving it some wellie 72 miles & 60 locks in 21 hrs if you calculate as lock miles it"s 6 odd miles an hour the reason I ask is we used to run loads of concrete piles from the BW works at MK Drayton to just below Kidderminster lock with a single motor we used to  do it in some 36 /42 hrs with the pair we were on 44/50 hrs & in that time frame thought we were "getting on a bit" so I do wonder about your transit time

5 hours ago, X Alan W said:

" Cor" you must have been giving it some wellie 72 miles & 60 locks in 21 hrs if you calculate as lock miles it"s 6 odd miles an hour the reason I ask is we used to run loads of concrete piles from the BW works at MK Drayton to just below Kidderminster lock with a single motor we used to  do it in some 36 /42 hrs with the pair we were on 44/50 hrs & in that time frame thought we were "getting on a bit" so I do wonder about your transit time

Purely out of interest I ran your concrete piling run through CanalPlan it said this .......

Summary

This is a trip of 47 miles, 7¼ furlongs and 33 locks from Market Drayton Visitor Moorings (Talbot Wharf) to Kidderminster Lock Turnover Bridge.

This will take 25 hours and 21 minutes which is 3 days, 4 hours and 21 minutes at 7 hours per day.

Were you factoring in compulsory BWB tea drinking and Sun reading breaks? :P

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

Purely out of interest I ran your concrete piling run through CanalPlan it said this .......

Summary

This is a trip of 47 miles, 7¼ furlongs and 33 locks from Market Drayton Visitor Moorings (Talbot Wharf) to Kidderminster Lock Turnover Bridge.

This will take 25 hours and 21 minutes which is 3 days, 4 hours and 21 minutes at 7 hours per day.

Were you factoring in compulsory BWB tea drinking and Sun reading breaks? :P

I think you are talking one way I was referring to the round trip from Mk D to K dis count the un loading & then the return trip as that's how we were paid by the trip.I was basically sub contracting a #1 BW had mostly ceased with their carrying fleet  Fuel was supplied but I had to buy my own lube oil. The "Seffle" was total loss oil system good job it only consumed between 3/4 & 1 pint a day   Mac 69 was talking Kinver/Chester in 21 hrs  :lol: Ps on most days of traveling it was a 14/16 hr day usually between  4.30/5.30am start nippy some winter mornings

Edited by X Alan W

2 hours ago, X Alan W said:

I think you are talking one way I was referring to the round trip from Mk D to K ....................

Quite right I was.

I imagined an ever increasing pile of abandoned boats cluttering up the cut at Kidderminster while you and your colleagues carried your shafts and pretty painted cans up onto the top deck of a number 7A tram change at Digbeth to get back to Mkt. Drayton.

23 hours ago, X Alan W said:

It may well have been longer. As I say, it was 30 years ago. It was certainly mid afternoon when we left, and still light when we arrived. It was hard work, especially after a season hotel boating with a pair.

14 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Quite right I was.

I imagined an ever increasing pile of abandoned boats cluttering up the cut at Kidderminster while you and your colleagues carried your shafts and pretty painted cans up onto the top deck of a number 7A tram change at Digbeth to get back to Mkt. Drayton.

I thought you would have known that they will not let yo on the top deck with a 16ft long shaft & 3 cans unless they can borrow your shaft to swap the trolley pole around , other wise you had to sit down stairs with the shaft sticking out past the driver like knights doing a bit of jousting The range was a bit of a bu**er as well, more so if it was still going as pretty hot Think that was the down fall of the Winter Warmer as a tram heating system :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mark99 said:

1895 Bantock. Forum members boat.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=543126

I note that the boat has an hydraulic drive with a 1.8 BMC.  I'm intrigued to know how this set up works.  Does it have a hydraulic motor in the rudder (like Hampton)?  In which case I'd love to know where the hydraulic pipes are.  Or is there a prop going through the stern post?  If this is the case has a swim been constructed or are there anti-cavitation plates?

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Pfffft, who wants to go backwards anyway

It's not so much the "go backwards" more the "I need to stop urgently".

1 hour ago, djgoode1980 said:

Sounds like a GU :P

Oi! - One of my Grand Unions stops very nicely, thank you.

(OK, the other one does take rather longer!)

On 29/10/2017 at 00:22, alan_fincher said:

(OK, the other one does take rather longer!)

I'm, curious now Alan. I thought you would be referring to the one with 25ft missing out of it but on reflection, I'm now wondering now if it is the other you mean! I thought you changed the prop to fix this...

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm, curious now Alan. I thought you would be referring to the one with 25ft missing out of it but on reflection, I'm now wondering now if it is the other you mean! I thought you changed the prop to fix this...

Flamingo now stops and reverses hugely better than it did.  The prop had its pitch increased a great deal, and this has massively improved every aspect of using the boat, whether in forward, reverse, going around corners or in a straight line.  However it is still the same prop, (a Brunton made one).

However stopping performance whilst adequate is still not entirely stunning.  This could just be because it is effectively a working boat carrying somewhere between a third and a half of what might have been considered a full load of cargo.

However the other possibility, which some have implicated, is that the blade is of a "weed throwing" design with swept back rather than symmetrical bats, and that these never perform as strongly in reverse as ahead.

I suspect it is actually a combination of a "bit of both", but its adequate now, and I'm not about to invest maybe a 4 figure sum to see if a different prop would make it even better.

Don't try repeating that Alvecote incident if it is Flamingo rather than Sickle coming at you though.  You might find the impact is even greater!

2 hours ago, BWM said:

Mine stops on a sixpence, and is better at reversing than I am!

Yours is a Woolwich though isn’t it? :)

On more than one occasion I’ve been told that Northwichs don’t stop :)

• Haha 1

On 29/10/2017 at 08:44, alan_fincher said:

Don't try repeating that Alvecote incident if it is Flamingo rather than Sickle coming at you though.  You might find the impact is even greater!

That incident is a classic illustration of why sound signals are supposed to be used.

Kath was hand-signalling with her arm pointing out to one side (I forget which) and I took this to be an instruction to pass on that side. In actual fact her hand signal was indicating the side YOU intended to pass on. So we both steered to the same side of the cut. 

Neither of us gave a sound signal, which would have prevented the resulting collision do you not think?

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Neither of us gave a sound signal, which would have prevented the resulting collision do you not think?

I'm not sure I would have had time to issue one reliably with a hand wound Klaxon!

On 29/10/2017 at 14:44, alan_fincher said:

I'm not sure I would have had time to issue one reliably with a hand wound Klaxon!

We were both stationary at the time, confused about which way to steer. We both engaged AHEAD and steered smack into each other!

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That incident is a classic illustration of why sound signals are supposed to be used.

As there is no requirement to pass any sort of test prior to being allowed to handle a boat on the inland waterways there can be no requirement to know or understand the etiquette surrounding a 'sound signal'. I have always considered these signals to be more related to sea boating, and whenever I have used them on inland waterways it has only added to the confusion as the other boat operator has not had a clue what they mean.

To be honest I do not even remember these signals now, apart from a single blast which means 'get out of the way as I am coming through' - and is usually supported by the high fore end on a large Grand Union motor :captain:

Edited by pete harrison
  • Happy 3