Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

14'4 can go Brentford to Limehouse via the GU and Regents Canal apparently as Ironclad was measured as 14'5 and did that journey. This is as I understand it anyway.

It does look like a houseboat base - too wide for my residential mooring sad.png its a lovely boat with masses of accomodation room due to the bluff bows.

We brought several boats down from "up north" by road to Brentford, including Ironclad/Cadellis and a little Trent barge Clinton. The Leeds & Liverpool boats could go up the Grand Union with little difficulty - John Liley took Arthur to Braunston as I recall - but the Trent Barge Clinton at 14'7" was too wide for the Brentford locks. We got it to our base at Adelaide Dock just down from Bulls Bridge by going down the river and coming back in at Limehouse, and the London locks were no problem for that beam. If I recall correctly the rebuilt North Circular aqueduct is probably a limiting factor though, but it is certainly still wide enough for L&L craft. Not relevant for this particular vessel, but the Brentford locks can also accommodate craft 78' long, as we brought our barge Friesland in at Brentford and up to Bulls Bridge.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

We brought several boats down from "up north" by road to Brentford, including Ironclad/Cadellis and a little Trent barge Clinton. The Leeds & Liverpool boats could go up the Grand Union with little difficulty - John Liley took Arthur to Braunston as I recall - but the Trent Barge Clinton at 14'7" was too wide for the Brentford locks. We got it to our base at Adelaide Dock just down from Bulls Bridge by going down the river and coming back in at Limehouse, and the London locks were no problem for that beam. If I recall correctly the rebuilt North Circular aqueduct is probably a limiting factor though, but it is certainly still wide enough for L&L craft. Not relevant for this particular vessel, but the Brentford locks can also accommodate craft 78' long, as we brought our barge Friesland in at Brentford and up to Bulls Bridge.

Tam

Thanks for all the responses about it fitting in London, but I was being more than a little mischievous in suggesting that it could finish up as yet another CM blocking up the waters of central London! smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired

Thanks for all the responses about it fitting in London, but I was being more than a little mischievous in suggesting that it could finish up as yet another CM blocking up the waters of central London! smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired

More than likely yes !!

Judging by Tam's post it could end up actually blocking the canal at Brentford locks.

As it would come by sea or road I guess the entry point would probably be Limehouse (craneage/hoist at pla Denton in Gravesend) so it may never get to Brentford as it would get stuck somewhere near Hackney for reasons other than its dimensions :lol: Edited by magnetman

I do like hydrus but can't find out who to contact to find out if its for sale.

Roger Farrington at Ivy Bridge Marine

Googling "Ivy Bridge Marine" will find you a phone number.

Still has elm bottom, and has Lister TS2, according to advert in HNBC magazine. £8,000, but "price negotiable if buyer wants restoration works to the hull carried out y Ivy Bridge Marine".

I think it needs a LOT of work.

Are there any other boats for sale in the H.N.B.C. NEWLETTER ?

For questions like this, I have to resist the temptation to respond with the simple word "Yes"!

(But I won't!)

I think I've found latest magazine. Some may well now be sold, of course.

BCN 108 ("Joe") £9,500

Hare £69,950 ono, (though isn't the "Duck" price now less?)

Widgeon/Thaxted OIRO £55,000

Marcellus (stern end) £36,000

Kent £30,000 ono

Hydrus was the previous issue - I can't see it in this one, but still had a "for sale" board on it at Braunston a few weeks back.

I would strongly urge anybody interested in buying an "historic" to join the HNBC. (That remark not aimed at you, Pete, as I know you have reservations about them.)

For questions like this, I have to resist the temptation to respond with the simple word "Yes"!

(But I won't!)

I think I've found latest magazine. Some may well now be sold, of course.

BCN 108 ("Joe") £9,500

Hare £69,950 ono, (though isn't the "Duck" price now less?)

Widgeon/Thaxted OIRO £55,000

Marcellus (stern end) £36,000

Kent £30,000 ono

Hydrus was the previous issue - I can't see it in this one, but still had a "for sale" board on it at Braunston a few weeks back.

I would strongly urge anybody interested in buying an "historic" to join the HNBC. (That remark not aimed at you, Pete, as I know you have reservations about them.)

Thank you, and I will say that their NEWSLETTER does sometimes advertise boats that are not advertised elsewhere - and so if somebody were in the market for a 'historic' narrow boat then membership could be a good investment captain.gif

Thank you, and I will say that their NEWSLETTER does sometimes advertise boats that are not advertised elsewhere - and so if somebody were in the market for a 'historic' narrow boat then membership could be a good investment captain.gif

......and also through contacts made as result of membership we have got to hear about boats not advertised at all, but where an owner is selling or considering selling.

No we are not selling, were lifers, if any thing we getting a butty as soon as one that we like comes available.

Darren

I didn't think you would be selling.

Would you like to buy another historic boat again Pete and travel around your old stomping ground??

Darren

If the right boat were to come up for sale I might buy again, but it would have to be a purpose built motor, unconverted and interesting. I have expressed an interest in two boats this year, one of which sold whilst I was working on my offer and the other slightly too much money for me captain.gif

Pete, I know what you mean about the BCN and memories - In the 70's I remember trying to go around as many loops as poss - great fun. All the girls waving from factory windows, the smells and sounds of industry and the colour of the water.

All these things, like my figure and youth, are long gone.

And as you say, "I think I prefer my memories," but even that is not what it was.

Oh well.

• Greenie 1

And it is quite possible that Brinklow Boat Services still have the Small Northwich butty that was a mud boat on the Manchester Ship Canal available. From memory it may be "Lupus" but I may have wrong name.

They were keen it remains a butty, but last I heard had not found anyone prepared to buy it for restoration.

No idea about condition or price, but it might be worth a phone call?

If only I had more cash, I would be up for owning a Small Northwich butty. I'm sure they are more than ready to see the back of me at Brinklow by now though (Clypeus is still there awaiting its gearbox)!

Kent is also sold.

Thought it was as im sure i met the new owners when i went threw marsworth flight

No we are not selling, were lifers, if any thing we getting a butty as soon as one that we like comes available.

Darren

I have the perfect few buttys for you. Would you like work or lots of work or lots of work but sunk or even more work with most of it missing?