Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Limited buyers market? Boiler certificate is up next year

She is lovely

Richard

OK, so apart from the limited market, the boiler certificate, extreme age, high maintenance and it's not a narrow beam boat, what else is wrong with it?

With thanks/apologies to Monty Python

Edited by Stilllearning

OK, so apart from the limited market, the boiler certificate, extreme age, high maintenance and it's not a narrow beam boat, what else is wrong with it?

With thanks/apologies to Monty Python

The hull thickness?

Its a nice boat. Its a very nice boat. I find it really very pleasing. I like it

I must not buy it :banghead: in another life I think I might :rolleyes:

Anyway slightly surprised the owner is selling it as AFAIK he's owned it for many years.

Not sure but I think it may have been overplated a while ago and if this was not carried out to the highest quality overplating can be quite a serious can of worms.

_this is theory not fact and not intended to detract from the credibility of the vessel_

Here's one FMC boat Romford £20,000

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=482990

Darren

From the advert:

"Romford 281 is a beautiful, historic narrowboat built by Fellowes,Morton Clayton in 1913.

She has been rebuilt and renovated for living aboard or leisure use in 2008-10 and the hull re-plated all over. Brand new Shanks engine fitted 2013. Solar panels supply the domestic batteries with power.

Needs some love..."

Sounds like a boat had £20k knocked off the value by this work!

From the advert:

"Romford 281 is a beautiful, historic narrowboat built by Fellowes,Morton Clayton in 1913.

She has been rebuilt and renovated for living aboard or leisure use in 2008-10 and the hull re-plated all over. Brand new Shanks engine fitted 2013. Solar panels supply the domestic batteries with power.

Needs some love..."

Sounds like a boat had £20k knocked off the value by this work!

I remember that last time it was on the market. It had an old lifeboat engine of some sort IIRC, or at least a very different type.

The conversion is interesting, there's an oversized forecabin which is the bedroom and then the cloth sided gap is part of the living room if I remember right.

I remember that last time it was on the market. It had an old lifeboat engine of some sort IIRC, or at least a very different type..

ROMFORD was previously fitted with a Ford FHM4 with a Parsons gearbox (serial numbers available) captain.gif

edit = add the word 'was'

Edited by pete harrison

Built for FMC, by Braithwaite & Kirk, not by them. The previous advertisement showed much more, though a pity about the fore end bedroom being separated from the main living cabin by the insecure 'conservatory' under pvc 'tarps'.

Lovely fore end (sigh).

Does any one have a picture of her back end please..? Thanks

I don't, but it did/does have a conventional motor counter stern. Last advertised hereabouts in 2011 on Thames. I have a feeling the back cabin housed the engine, but won't be sure.

I don't, but it did/does have a conventional motor counter stern. Last advertised hereabouts in 2011 on Thames. I have a feeling the back cabin housed the engine, but won't be sure.

Indeed. This is Romford photographed in August 2010, with a blackboard hanging on the cabin side advertising it for sale then.

post-7909-0-75535800-1469623197_thumb.jpg

Iconic, yes, and well-maintained, but with awkward lines and a complete lack of fenestration and of some comforts which most people would wish for: shower, hot water, gas. With a JP3 in a 44-footer she must go like sh*t off a sh*v*l, though.

Edited by Athy

Good grief - would anyone in their right mind pay £10K for those?

Would suit person with deep pockets, good craft skills, ample free time and distorted view of reality. But some such loony probably will step forward, and lordy lord, we need loonies like that.

The advert mentions Warwick, but I have seen a pair of abandoned-looking wooden boats on the Oxford not far from Braunston Turn. Are they the same ones?

Would suit person with deep pockets, good craft skills, ample free time and distorted view of reality. But some such loony probably will step forward, and lordy lord, we need loonies like that.

The advert mentions Warwick, but I have seen a pair of abandoned-looking wooden boats on the Oxford not far from Braunston Turn. Are they the same ones?

No, FmN and Mabel are north of Shrewley on the GU.

The ones at Braunston are Hardy and I'm not sure what the butty is (now floating again).

The ones at Braunston are Hardy and I'm not sure what the butty is (now floating again).

Thanks. I was going to say that they didn't look very hardy last time I saw them, but that of course would be flippant and inappropriate.