Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

All 3 need saving but all 3 need deep pockets ive seen all 3.

Fmn dosnt need too much on hull but needs full cabin and a good dock

Mable needs a de hog and full strip down and a few plank looking into good dock and then cabin rebuild

Beech have comented on before but needs lots of work. Nearly all bottoms replacing cabin inside finishing cabin outer reskin and finish off few planks replacing full re cork and most of the sheering replacing fuel tanks fitting and a big list getting bigger.

Compare with Forget-me-not and Mabel

Richard

Looks can be deceptive.

I have spent time in dock with Mabel and FMN and have seen the work that has gone into their hulls.

Wooden boats don't sink because of the condition they are in, they sink because they are not lived on (with the exception of a few fully restored boats).

When they were lived on Mabel and FMN never sank and, before restoration work started, were two of the tidiest looking wooden boats on the cut.

There are many nicely presented boats out there that need loads more work than those two but their defects are hidden behind paint and brass.

I hope your not saying the 15k boat that is ready to go is beech?

Its far from it i have pics of her taken a few months ago. The bildge pump kicks in every 2-5 mins for about 20 seconds. 1 section of the bottom is just a patch and full of tar.

Dont get me wrong its not a bad boat it just needs another 7-15k work strait away depending who is doing work and how long. The lady who owned it is very nice we got on very well she has so much history for the boat. But if your after a boat with a year or 2s gap before any work its not for you.

But at the same time every wooden boat needs work doing mine is far from perfect.

Edits went a bit wrong

Edited by billybobbooth

£15k for a ready to go floating boat or £25k for a pair both rotten along the gunwales

Richard

Gunwales are an easy fix using (relatively) skinny bits of wood and have little to do with the "floatability" of the boat.

Rotten above the waterline, whilst less visually appealing, is far preferable to rotten below the waterline and when restoration work starts on Beech she will look aesthetically worse than Mabel for some time to come when the bad bits get stripped out and good bits start going back in.

Mabel and FMN are at a "half done" stage where a lot of big jobs have been carried out which Beech is still waiting for.

I'm not sure why the listing title says £23k by the way because they quite clearly state that they are looking for offers over £10k in the blurb.

Edited by carlt

I'm not sure why the listing title says £23k by the way because they quite clearly state that they are looking for offers over £10k in the blurb.

I missed that

Put ti this way, Beech, no matter what state, is obviously a ready to use boat. FMN and Mabel are projects for folk with either particular skills or deep pockets

You'll remember I have kept an eye on the pair for a long time, I fantasize about them every time we cruise past

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I missed that

Put ti this way, Beech, no matter what state, is obviously a ready to use boat. FMN and Mabel are projects for folk with either particular skills or deep pockets

You'll remember I have kept an eye on the pair for a long time, I fantasize about them every time we cruise past

Richard

Beech is far from "ready to use" and, having seen all three in dock (and worked on Mabel and FMN) they are much closer conditionwise than they appear.

If you judge a boat by its prettiness then I could have Mabel looking as "pretty" as Beech in a couple of weeks and a lot more "floatable".

Before being dragged out for restoration Lucy used to pump every 2-3 minutes for 20 seconds or so btw and nobody would claim she was "ready to use"...even her heavily blinkered owner.

If you judge a boat by its prettiness then I could have Mabel looking as "pretty" as Beech in a couple of weeks and a lot more "floatable".

I have only seen the advert, so I don't know the condition of Beech. I'm not really talking about 'pretty' so much as 'saleable'

Beech has more potential buyers than the ex-hotel pair (which is how I would restore the appearance of them)

Richard

Beech has more potential buyers than the ex-hotel pair (which is how I would restore the appearance of them)

That doesn't make them right.

It is also worth bearing in mind that the three were rebuilt around the same time(ish)...two of them were done by Tim Leech and one of them...err...wasn't.

That doesn't make them right.

This seems to be getting out of hand

My point was £15K for Beech appears to be a better deal than £25K for the pair. I now know from you that Beech is in a poor state, and the pair are offers over £10K.

Can I revise my opinion?

Richard

All i will say is a person who has lived with wooden boats for most of my life. I saw all 3 and walked away from all 3.

I have listed some of the work needed for all 3. Fmn is prob the best of all 3 but needs work.

If they were in better condition they would have sold by now as all 3 have been for sale a long time.

The only 3 reasons for a boat not selling.

1. Over realistic price

2. Waiting for the right buyer not rushing the sale

3. Far to much work.

Unfortunately i think these 3 fall into 1 and 2.

Wooden boats don't sink because of the condition they are in, they sink because they are not lived on (with the exception of a few fully restored boats).

Yet Hesperus sank repeatedly a couple of years ago, despite the owner being on board. I'm pleased to report that she is now, following lengthy work at The Slipway, fully afloat and moored south of Cropredy. She's far from finished but at least she's not on the bottom.

Not sure if already been listed but one for Billy Bob.

Tay is for sale

http://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/2995web/2995mobile.php?BoatID=2995

It's certainly been mentioned many times, but i think this is the first time it's been 'listed' properly with a broker and photos etc.

I love this boat. I pass it every week and dream. Not sure about that engine though.