Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

On 29/10/2017 at 18:37, mark99 said:

Succinctly and logically put Peter.

Yes.

Mind you had I used a sound signal Alan would obviously known exactly what it meant. Had Alan sounded a signal I'd have been none the wiser. Just as I was with Kath's hand signal!

On 10/8/2017 at 17:55, Admiral said:

A butty for sale

Apollo Duck Link

On 10/8/2017 at 19:07, koukouvagia said:

This is a very fine  boat. Elegant lines and an interesting history. It'll be fascinating to see what a new owner will do with it.  

Mercury has a new owner.

(If you don't know, they already own a Royalty motor that has guested on your mooring in recent times.....)

If both steerers automatically default to turning to their right then there is a not a problem in normal circumstances (boats in the course of navigation moving fast enough to cause a problem if a collision were to occur) because the collision will be avoided by the use of mutual boat handling knowledge. 

In other circumstances where boats are moving slowly or in the course of maneuvering on canals a collision would be seen as a non event anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think this one has been mentioned.

A real oddball, so I'll let you read the advert and decide whether it should appear in a thread about historic boats.

One of the more unusual things on sale in a while, that's for certain.

Betty.

14 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

A real oddball, so I'll let you read the advert and decide whether it should appear in a thread about historic boats.

Betty.

Struggling with this: 

So, she is being sold as a project, but once completed she will make either a fantastic home or a boat that can be cruised to historic rallies around the country and shown off as the only surviving Runcorn 6 planker (albeit now in steel) and because of her history she could probably and should be included in the Historic Ships register. If you want a unique piece of canal history then look no further than Betty.

Edited by Ray T

I should imagine very few of today's preserved ex working boats are original, as their design life must have expired years ago. 

As a side I was reading recently about the preservation of U505 in the Chicargo Museum of Science and Industry, with the troubles they had with preserving the U boat as it was built with  a design life of only 5 years as the metal was rapidly corroding. It is now in an underground climate controlled environment.

Now I am not saying boats should be preserved in aspic as it is lovely to see them in their natural environment what ever their life history is. I do think it is sad when a recent boat put up for sale took some flack on here with one suggestion:

I support somebody buying this boat and restoring it to its last incarnation with BWB. That is to say, throw the engine away, chop off both ends and turn it back into a bit of banking at Harecastle.

The state this boat is now in is all part of its heritage surely? Beautifully kept it is too.

One of the few boats I can think of, which must be as close to original  as possible must be "Friendship?" But like U505 it is in a museum.

Most if not all steam loco's certified for main line running bear altered resemblance to their build specifications. Most engine works were notorious for swapping parts, boilers, frames, tenders and names etc. Yet most people just love to see them running and accept their heritage as part and parcel of that. Why not the same with narrowboats?

Edited by Ray T

54 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Betty.

Surly this is a replica of Betty built in steel.

It's not an unattractive looking boat, but having sheathed the original wooden hull in steel, surely its overall width would be more than 6' 10"?

And that "coal" fired AGA - a) it looks more like an oil fired version without the coal loading door above the ash pan door, and - b ) there's a wooden worktop placed directly on top of it. Regardless of what its fuelled by, as is, it's a waste of space only providing ballast at best. I'll wager they couldn't get it out of the boat, so are making a 'feature' of it.

Still, not a bad looking boat.

The Aga  in this boat looks identical to one we had in our last house. Coke fired, not coal, you drop the coke in through a removable bung in the LH hotplate and not via a front door. This is quite an old one, similar to ours which was 1948, but they are very long lived beasts, our friends still use a similar one converted to oil firing, with a burner in what used to be the ashpan, the door at bottom left.

As post above notes, they are really heavy, so make good ballast - or make the boat list! You can take them out, they do come apart quite easily, which is how I moved ours.

I know for a fact that an important role of the Aga that was in "Betty" in the 1970s was an attempt to stop the hogging of the boat getting any worse.

From memory, it was left running all seasons, so in the summer months it was stiflingly hot inside the cabin.

My memory is not good enough to know if it was likely to have been the one pictued in tha ad.

Whilst it is a given that ex commercial boats ranging from 80years / to way over 100years old they will have had refurbishment but in most cases it is in keeping with the original shape outline Steel bottom replacing wood although not in the best spirit when the boat is in the water & if unconverted with shutts in the hold it's not a problem on the eye to have a wooden boat in original form & then plate on the outside or build a steel hull & then declare it an historic one off sort of stretches the belief why not list as a steel replica of a wooden 6 planker  bit like having a blower Bentley Brooklands & fitting it with a GRP body  It"s a rare boat why not list it as such.

On 11/11/2017 at 20:43, Derek R. said:

It's not an unattractive looking boat, but having sheathed the original wooden hull in steel, surely its overall width would be more than 6' 10"?

And that "coal" fired AGA - a) it looks more like an oil fired version without the coal loading door above the ash pan door, and - b ) there's a wooden worktop placed directly on top of it. Regardless of what its fuelled by, as is, it's a waste of space only providing ballast at best. I'll wager they couldn't get it out of the boat, so are making a 'feature' of it.

Still, not a bad looking boat.

After having sheated the hull in steel, the wooden inside has been removed, so if they wanted it to be narrower, they could then have easily enough have pulled the sides a bit closer together before the continued with the fitout.

I don't say that it has been done that way, but if it hasn't been, it could have been done without too much effort.

Peter.