Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Matty and Kathy smash piggy bank to see what we can find......

Go for it =you will enjoy fitting it out and it will suit you much better than stretching DD. DD can be sold as a live aboard in London. we will come and help you get it somewhere more convenient than the K&A.

On 08/10/2017 at 17:55, Admiral said:

A butty for sale

Apollo Duck Link

£35k for a butty in good nick seems insane but Matty is gong for it!

At half the price I'd be tempted then add an engine and hydraulic drive to a purpose-built rudder and ellum as Jim did to Hampton.

This seems the obvious thing to do with an orphan butty.

7 hours ago, Admiral said:

A butty for sale

Apollo Duck Link

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

"Optimistic" would be rather understating the situation, I think!

Although MERCURY has an interesting history this does seem a lot of money (£35k) when OTLEY was up for several thousand pounds less (£30k), which I understand has been sold today :captain:

edit = The advert for MERCURY states that "She has been restored and repaired using sympathetic techniques to a high standard" - I am not quite sure where all of the diamond / chequer plate fits in with sympathetic !

Edited by pete harrison

5 hours ago, Derek R. said:

If that's not an engine in what appears to be the first section of 'under tarps' on MERCURY, then it must be a strange looking upright piano . . . Maybe waiting for someone to install?

Its prob a jenny

On 10/5/2017 at 15:15, Mac69 said:

I've been watching this thread for years, and can finally contribute something. I used to work on the hotel boats Dawn and Dusk in 1987. The couple that owned them then also owned Beck, and lived on her during the winter, while we carried out repairs to the hotel boats. Late in 1987, I took Beck from Kinver to Chester overnight. She'd been stuck on the bank in Kinver having been left all summer. Happy memories, but not £60k's worth. She didn't have electric start then.

Are you saying you did the whole trip Kinver/Chester Overnight/1 Night ,how many hours did you boat & how many handed ?

18 hours ago, David Mack said:

To you?

I did really fancy TYCHO but I think I must have insulted the owner with my offer last year as he has not got back in touch following it being advertised again. I have a fixed price in my mind for this boat as I would want to fit the back cabin more conventionally and replace the 'blue tops' with a full tug deck, let alone repaint it a little more sympathetically e.t.c..  

As you can see, there is no boat name in my Profile :captain:

22 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

£35k for a butty in good nick seems insane but Matty is gong for it!

At half the price I'd be tempted then add an engine and hydraulic drive to a purpose-built rudder and ellum as Jim did to Hampton.

This seems the obvious thing to do with an orphan butty.

I’m not sure that £35K is an excessive price. True, it you simply wanted an unconverted, empty, unmotorised butty to pair with a motor, then it would be very pricey.

If you bought a cheaper butty, you might have to budget for remedial work that could easily bump the price up.

However, if you intended to convert a basically sound boat, with a steel baseplate and a sound back cabin into a motorised butty like Hampton, then the economics make a bit more sense. I would guess that for an extra £40k you could get a first class motorised boat which has an interesting pedigree.

For those interested, here's the more or less finished conversion of Hampton at Stoke Bruerne and Foxton earlier this summer.

P1240641.jpg.32a6c138ca918b2aaf96c3703226b960.jpg

P1240712.jpg.f59fe6ffb98c5808676d8a23ea4b59f1.jpg

21 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Come on mr Harrison, I was hoping for your expertise.

station boat origionaly or not and fore cabin on a station boat? It looks ungainly.

looks like a station boat or did Midlands and coast exist in 1920( I think not but as always need education.

Mercury was built for midland and coast with a forecabin by Yarwoods and is not a station boat hence the bow being more josher like. She did then get taken over by FMC I believe 1922 but could be a year or two out

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Come on mr Harrison, I was hoping for your expertise.

station boat origionaly or not and fore cabin on a station boat? It looks ungainly.

looks like a station boat or did Midlands and coast exist in 1920( I think not but as always need education.

50 minutes ago, djgoode1980 said:

Mercury was built for midland and coast with a forecabin by Yarwoods and is not a station boat hence the bow being more josher like. She did then get taken over by FMC I believe 1922 but could be a year or two out

MERCURY was completed by W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd., Northwich for Midlands and Coast Canal Carriers Ltd., Wolverhampton on 26 February 1926. Its Wolverhampton health registration (1120 - 13 June 1926) clearly states that this was a fore-cabin boat, and its route is quoted as Birmingham to Ellesmere Port. MERCURY was taken over, along with several other Midlands and Coast narrow boats, by Fellows Morton and Clayton Ltd. in July 1938. I do not know how active MERCURY was in the F.M.C. Ltd. fleet but it was sold on to Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd. in August 1943, and as it does not appear to be health registered I can only assume it went on to day work.

I have never seen anything to suggest that MERCURY was ever operated as a 'Station Boat' or owned by the L.M.S.R. :captain:

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

And another butty- Siberia - but only £16,500

Also on Gumtree with Buckingham - £40,000 for the two:

SIBERIA is what enthusiasts term as a 'Mk 2 Bantock' and is one of numerous boats acquired by Warwickshire Fly Boat Company, Stockton from Alfred Matty and Sons Ltd., Coseley in about 1982. This boat was converted for use as a 'cabin camper' in 1982 and was usually paired with their former F.M.C. Ltd. motor NAUTILUS :captain:

• Greenie 1

Thank you for that information Mr Harrison( and Mr djgoode) whilst I was aware yarwoods built boats both for independents and big fleets, she appears to have a bigger front deck than the average fmc boat coupled with that for cabin. My incorrect thought was she was a station boat with an added timber forecabin, or with the big deck cut back to fit it.

she is a pretty unusual boat then pretty much a custom build unlike the fleet boats

1 hour ago, Chris-B said:

Just been listed on brokerage 

Elstree

http://www.tingdeneboatsales.net/boat-spec?BoatID=6389648

A really good conversion.  Unlike many adverts this one has plenty of photos.  At that price, I'd say that it will sell quickly.  I'm presuming the undercloth cabin is steel. 

On 10/3/2017 at 18:59, David Mack said:

This is the boat that blocked the old tunnel (from http://petergshilstonsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/james-brindley.html)

harecastle.jpg

But the England ad says it has been in the same ownership for 38 years, meaning the current owner acquired it in 1979. My recollection is that the boat at Harecastle was there well into the 80s. Can anyone confirm?

This picture suggests the boat was buried, although judging by the current bank line, the boat (or at least one side of it) was presumably removed later. It also seems to have lost something from the stern (unless it has been turned end to end and the flat end wasn't full height).

Harecastle canal tunnels, Kidsgrove.

As it is today (from http://www.stthomasthemartyr.org.uk/nicks-cheshire-ring-walk-20171.html)

6-47-harecastle-tunnels_orig.jpg

And this is what it looked like when both tunnels were in use (from http://www.thepotteries.org/location/districts/boathorse3.htm)

tunnel1.jpg

Yup. Lost its original name in 1914, original stern in 1938, and original bow in the 1960s (?).  So not much of the old Germany left!

On 10/4/2017 at 17:03, Johnboy770 said:

From my late fathers collection Circa 79/80

img150 copy.jpg

On 10/5/2017 at 09:49, Tim Lewis said:

Picture from Late 1985

24210386991_c4d1742c63_o.jpg

I was following this one with interest, but may have lost the plot, I think.

Is it confirmed that "England" was indeed the boat that was across the North end of the old Brindley tunnel at Harecastle, with its bows removed?

If so is the detail of it acquiring "new" bows actually known, where did they come from, and in what year did this take place, please?

18 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

A really good conversion.  Unlike many adverts this one has plenty of photos.  At that price, I'd say that it will sell quickly.  I'm presuming the undercloth cabin is steel. 

Really good boat, excellent engine, but installed backwards?........

The "under cloth" conversion does look comfortably complete - often they look rather bare. There does not appear to be an interior connection between the back cabin and the main living accommodation - might this hinder the boat's sale?