Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

Funny how bw took over almost all of the system except a few odds then lent or sold boats to let private companies start up.

6 hours ago, Athy said:

Didn't they do that when they ran down their own carrying fleet about 1963?

Both F.M.C. Ltd. and G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. sold several of their narrow boats in the last few years of business, both for ongoing commercial use as well as for pleasure boat conversions. This practice did not stop when these boats operated under 'British Waterways', and still goes on now to an extent - although there are very few 'historic' boats now owned by C. & R.T. :captain:

19 hours ago, Athy said:

Didn't they do that when they ran down their own carrying fleet about 1963?

The big freeze at that time was the the deal breaker boats were tied up for several weeks the customers had to arrange alternate supplies, so a number of contracts were cancelled. I loaded coal at Pooley Hall for the "Jam ole" ,& got as far as  "Suttons" (Hawksbury) before coming to a crunching halt, there were 7 or 8 other pairs there but I was the only boats with coal when we finally got under way & delivered my load I was some near 3 tons less than what I loaded but at least the families on the other pairs were kept warm but if that was not the end of BW's carrying fleet it was most certainly the beginning of the end.

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Both F.M.C. Ltd. and G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. sold several of their narrow boats in the last few years of business, both for ongoing commercial use as well as for pleasure boat conversions. This practice did not stop when these boats operated under 'British Waterways', and still goes on now to an extent - although there are very few 'historic' boats now owned by C. & R.T. :captain:

All of the museum boats have now passed into the hands of CRT and by the looks of it they are already palming them off :(

1 hour ago, billybobbooth said:

Time to go fishing then! Wonder what prices there going for???

They can't sell them to joe public/the highest bidder otherwise they'd loose their museum status. I think there are a number of boats that they will accept proposals from groups for i.e. People that would restore them and use them to get the community involved. Others will probably be passed to other museums outside CRT as I think is the case with Ferret

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Cloudinspector said:

What is a "Woolwich Trader" FFS?  Has someone at Rugby boats herad the term "Northwich Trader", and believes this to be the Harland and Wolff equivalent? :banghead:

A brokerage that is worth its salt, and selling a proper piece of real canal history should surely be capable of finding out what they have been asked to sell, and describing it with at least some degree of accuracy.

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

What is a "Woolwich Trader"

Apparently a very long, and fairly expensive, blue thing.

I suspect that brokers often rely on information given to them by the boat's owner, as may be the case here, though the best ones will surely check information if they are able to. Am I right in thinking that Rugby Boats is under new ownership? Perhaps the new management are not knowledgeable about old boats.

It gets "better" still when you read the text.....

She was launched on 14th April 1937 during the coronation year of George VI as part of the Grand Union Co. fleet. In celebration of the coronation their livery colours at this time were red, white and blue and the current owners have been restoring her to these original colours.

So do the pictures show a boat in red, white and blue "Coronation" colours, and lettered as the GUCCCo?

Well, make up your own mind!

1519-02.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I was just about to post the same observation!

"... have been restoring..." clearly implies that it is work in progress. So far it seems they have done the bow!

1519-01.jpg

That's some fairly wayward paintwork! 

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

What is a "Woolwich Trader" FFS?  Has someone at Rugby boats herad the term "Northwich Trader", and believes this to be the Harland and Wolff equivalent? :banghead:

A brokerage that is worth its salt, and selling a proper piece of real canal history should surely be capable of finding out what they have been asked to sell, and describing it with at least some degree of accuracy.

Yes a window into the soul of the new management. This should have been a proud addition to their books especially at that fooking price. 

Amateur.

23 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Yes a window into the soul of the new management. This should have been a proud addition to their books especially at that fooking price. 

Amateur.

And when I provided the history of this boat (28 February 2016) I gave the correct delivery date, 14 March 1937 not 'launched on 14 April 1937'. Why do I bother :banghead:

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

And when I provided the history of this boat (28 February 2016) I gave the correct delivery date, 14 March 1937 not 'launched on 14 April 1937'. Why do I bother :banghead:

Pete, please do bother.  You are probably the best repository of historic boat information  currently available, and  I include the various "museums" when I say that.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Pete, please do bother.  You are probably the best repository of historic boat information  currently available, and  I include the various "museums" when I say that.

George ex nb Alton retired

Definitely +1