Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

The vast majority of Sickle's new steel is the bottom, and as I presume Hare was a composite boat that now isn't, on that score they would appear to be completely equal.

There are photos of the inside of the bows and stern of Hare in the second edition of The Narrowboat Builders Book (which I don't think made it to the 3rd edition). These show new welded bottom plate and kelson, but the sides and chine angles look to be original and unrepaired on the inside - may be overplated on the outside though.

Well we were seriously looking for a year and a half, so I have been in that place.

However now owning two each needing quite a lot of work and money expended on them, I guess I'm very much now only watching out of interest.

What I can say is that in at least 8 months of looking only about 4 possible candidate boats for our needs were ever on open market, so it is not (as I'm sure you know!) the least bit like looking for a second-hand modern boat. I find it very interesting to hear people discuss those that do come up for market.

As an aside, one of the most positive things I am seeing at the moment is some of the boats going to enthusiastic young owners, rather than us pensioners! If Facebook tells the truth Effingham's nw owner is only just about to turn 21. If these boats are to be loved in the decades ahead what more could we want?

We know Effingham's new owner and he turns 21 on Friday. He is very enthusiastic so Effingham is in good hands and will be cherished.

Like Junior I follow this thread because I have a genuine interest in historic boats and like to know what's going on. I'm not actively looking to buy at the moment but I have an ambition to own one at some point in the future and it is a little frustrating that boats change hands through word of mouth when you're not in the 'click' as it were.

Like Junior I follow this thread because I have a genuine interest in historic boats and like to know what's going on. I'm not actively looking to buy at the moment but I have an ambition to own one at some point in the future and it is a little frustrating that boats change hands through word of mouth when you're not in the 'click' as it were.

As far as I'm aware there is no clique. If there is I'm not a part of it. I was searching last year for an unconverted boat and despite not being a part of a 'clique' i managed to have a (often changing) list of 5 or 6 boats, so it is totally not necessary to be in any sort of group to be able to find historic boats for sale. If people really want one then they will find one.

I'm also not quite sure why the HNBC is being described as a clique. If i wanted to own a historic boat in the future they would probably be my first port of call. I've always had a dream to own a Mitsubishi Starion Turbo and the one place i regularly check is the Starion Owners Club. I see them as just that, not a clique.

It's comical that both Jay and Junior hang around in the same neck of the woods and are 'in the know' about this boat, yet those of us who have forgotten more about ex-working boats than these two collectively know and have a proven decades long vested interest in their good care are none the wiser purely down to our being in a different part of the country.

A lot of historic boat owners who reach the point where they concede they need to sell are far more concerned about who custody of the boat passes in to than they are about selling it for the highest price possible.

This can be kind of frustrating to a genuine enthusiast looking to buy, but who may not get the opportunity because they are not well known in the world of historic boats, but I can easily understand why many owners act as they do.

At the end of the day an owner has completely free choice about how they decide to sell a boat, and what their priorities are when making that sale.

This is exactly true. There are levels of advertising, depending on the owner's wishes; some boats are never advertised openly and change hands, some are only advertised in places like the HNBC mag, others go on the open market.

It all depends on what the owner wishes- do they want to pass it on to a hand picked person who they know will take care of something they have owned possibly for many decades; do they want to restrict possible sales to enthusiasts; or do they want to go on the open market, putting the boat possibly at risk of sale to someone who won't look after it- e.g. the various wooden butties cut up in London, such as Drake/Taunton.

If HNBC can be described as a clique, it's pretty rubbish as one, seeing as membership is open to everyone! The club's ethos is changing as it evolves over time- for example, previously you could only be a full member if you owned an historic boat, which has now been completely dropped. Similarly, the club is publicised through the stand and shop at various gatherings, online, and in publications such as the very well received book of BCN photos.

There is some truth that it can be harder to buy an historic boat because people are very protective of them; you need to make an effort to get to know people, which we did, over several years- which completely paid off, as our boat was completely brilliant and only advertised in the HNBC magazine- because the seller had owned it for nearly 40 years and felt very attached to it.

I can see how some people within the Historic boating community might well be described as cliquey, but I don't think the term can be applied to HNBC; it is instead very open and generally supportive to new members looking to get an historic boat.

I can see how some people within the Historic boating community might well be described as cliquey, but I don't think the term can be applied to HNBC; it is instead very open and generally supportive to new members looking to get an historic boat.

I don't think anyone accused HNBC of being cliquey. That wasn't who I was referring to anyway.

Edited by Delta9

As far as I'm aware there is no clique. If there is I'm not a part of it. I was searching last year for an unconverted boat and despite not being a part of a 'clique' i managed to have a (often changing) list of 5 or 6 boats, so it is totally not necessary to be in any sort of group to be able to find historic boats for sale. If people really want one then they will find one.

I'm also not quite sure why the HNBC is being described as a clique. If i wanted to own a historic boat in the future they would probably be my first port of call. I've always had a dream to own a Mitsubishi Starion Turbo and the one place i regularly check is the Starion Owners Club. I see them as just that, not a clique.

To be fair I have recently joined the HNBC.

(snipped)

The vast majority of Sickle's new steel is the bottom, and as I presume Hare was a composite boat that now isn't, on that score they would appear to be completely equal.

Apart from that, hull-wise, Sickle has a some of its rear sides, its counter and its uxter replaced, everything else being original., as far as I know.

(snipped)

And the cabin steelwork, bulkheads, and beds . . . all are 'new', as the dimensions were taken from TYCHO.

And the cabin steelwork, bulkheads, and beds . . . all are 'new', as the dimensions were taken from TYCHO.

That's why I said "hull-wise"! Presumably "Hare's" equivalent parts to those you list are no more original either, having been a centre-cockpit hire boat?

I have a fair idea how much of Sickle is original and how much new, (and am currently rather wishing rather more of it was new :lol:). I just can't see how Sickle can contain more "new boat" than Hare - it doesn't stack up to me, but maybe David will explain his reasoning?

Ok, firstly apologies for making the comment which sparked of the last few posts but let me explain myself.

Of course I fully understand that the owner can choose how and where to advertise their boat and that many historic boats change hands without ever being advertised outside the HNBC.

I also understand your position Junior that you did not want to post the name of the boat until the owners had themselves made it public.

However what I don't like and really actually quite upsets me is when someone says to someone else in a public place, as this forum is, "I know of a boat for sale which you may like but don't tell anyone." It's almost like shouting out in the middle of the street to someone "I know the lottery results for the next drawer but keep it a secret" and not expecting other people not to be a bit curious. There are plenty of ways to let others know without sharing the fact in public.

Why do I get quite upset about that? Well I've made it no secret that I've been very very interested in historic boats since my early teens, some 25 plus years ago, and if the right one came along I would try every way possible to raise the finance to purchase one and a large Northwich would be one of the ones which would swing it, depending on which one it actually was. Yes I am that much of a geek about them all.

I hope I didn't cause any offence to either Junior or Jay, it could have been anyone posting it which made me respond the way I did.

I'll just quote myself from the previous page as I think my point has been lost.

In no way was I saying the HNBC was a clique.

I was thinking of joining anyway.

Apologies for steering this thread in the direction it's taken, it wasn't my intention.

And the engine on Sickle is not original.

But the make and model is correct for the period it is restored to - which the original engine would not be.

The location of the original engine is known - it is in a more modern narrow boat.

Tbh, if you are going to sell off something that probably has a strong emotive tie as well as a historical value, one of the comforts would be to sell it off to a person of your choosing who you feel won't disrespect it.

Edited by mark99

But the make and model is correct for the period it is restored to - which the original engine would not be.

The location of the original engine is known - it is in a more modern narrow boat.

What about the rudder?

It's hard to undestand how that can be true, to be honest.

Apart from that, hull-wise, Sickle has a some of its rear sides, its counter and its uxter replaced, everything else being original., as far as I know.

Can you explain why you think there is more new boat in Sickle than Hare - I'm genuinely at a loss to see how, unless all the length that was put back into it was from genuine Josher rather than new steel?

Right sickle is 40 ish foot water bulrush was 37 ish so only 3 foot less sickle however has a totally new counter and sides for the complete length of the swims plus the entire plate infront (gunwale to chine) is new on port side and if memory serves starboard as well.

Maybe I should of put it as "there is more original boat in hare than sickle.

Well, I think the Parrotts's [sp?] did a pretty good job on reconstructing SICKLE, I wasn't trying to degrade the boats originality. Things that wear out need to be replaced. It's good to see it back in C1942 condition, and I don't think attempting to put a 'blade' back on would make much sense - but TYCHO's should be left on for certain. The original engines to both were Russell Newbery DM2's.