Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Oh great, so now rather than us mere mortals being able to use this thread to actually know what's about we have to be part of some secret group to know about boats for sale.

I've enjoyed this thread until today.

time from someone deciding to sell and the advert going out is often not the same day... give 'em chance to word the advert, get the nice photos and publish it.

I'm struggling to understand why anyone would want to keep the fact that they are selling a boat secret.

(Except for European Lady of course).

Ok you've sucked me in to feeling like i should explain myself.

Some friends messaged last night saying they had decided to sell their boat and did i know of anyone who is looking. (I do).

I asked if it was openly advertised yet (thinking if it was, it would be good to put it on this thread). They replyed that it wasn't yet but would be in the next HNBC newsletter, until then they'd rely on word of mouth.

So from that, i deducted that is not my place to start putting all over the Internet that 'xxxxxxx' is for sale, blah blah blah. Hence me not naming the boat.

Now i do know Jay is looking for a GU motor to go with his butty, so thought he'd be interested to know, hence me telling him a Large Northwich is on the maket.

If anybody else is reading this and is looking for a Large Northwich, PM me and I'll put you in touch (i think that fits in with the "if you know anyone looking for a boat we have decided to sell" bit?).

If, LIKE ME, you just read this thread because you are interested in old boats and like to know whats about and whats on the market, then sorry.. Wait for the HNBC newsletter or for somebody else to publicise it for sale on here.

Hope that clears that up.

Edited by junior

Ok you've sucked me in to feeling like i should explain myself.

Some friends messaged last night saying they had decided to sell their boat and did i know of anyone who is looking. (I do).

I asked if it was openly advertised yet (thinking if it was, it would be good to put it on this thread). They replyed that it wasn't yet but would be in the next HNBC newsletter, until then they'd rely on word of mouth.

Word of mouth doesn't work when those that know keep their mouths shut...

• Greenie 1

Word of mouth doesn't work when those that know keep their mouths shut...

Actually many of the historic boats change hands by word of mouth alone, but those mouths have often not told many people, (possibly almost no people?).

It is strange how much of it operates, but I can say that there have been several boats change hands where I would have had a strong interest had I actually been one of those aware they were for sale.

To be fair, the flip side is that I have been made aware of boats not on the open market which the owners have expressed possible interest in selling, and have viewed two such boats, and made enquiries about a third. In one such case it was several years ago, has never been openly marketed, and, as far as I know is still in the same ownership. It could even be the boat being discussed here, but I doubt it is.

Edited by alan_fincher

Or just told us which boat is for sale instead of acting like it's privileged information only for members of a silly little clique.

As an HNBC member I find your posting offensive.

Junior has clearly explained what the wishes of the boat OWNER are. To openly state what you are asking for, is clearly against those wishes.

Presumably I am a member of this silly little clique but even I do not know which boat it is because I do not fit the profile of who the owner wishes to be informed. Given the number of timewasters knocking about who can blame him/her.

George ex nb Alton retired

No, the exact opposite of perfect sense.

One person's "silly little clique" may be another person's "people known to have a keen and genuine interest in buying such a boat". If so, it makes sense to tell them about it first.

As an HNBC member I find your posting offensive.

Junior has clearly explained what the wishes of the boat OWNER are. To openly state what you are asking for, is clearly against those wishes.

Junior said "They replyed that it wasn't yet but would be in the next HNBC newsletter, until then they'd rely on word of mouth."

They are clearly planning on advertising it, but are waiting for the next newsletter to be published. Until then they are relying on people spreading the word. Somehow Junior has taken that to mean "keep it to yourself, it's a secret"

Junior said "They replyed that it wasn't yet but would be in the next HNBC newsletter, until then they'd rely on word of mouth."

Somehow Junior has taken that to mean "keep it to yourself, it's a secret"

Quite the opposite. If anyone is looking for a Large Northwich i will pass their details onto the owners.

For now, I'm out. What started as me thinking i might be doing somebody a favour has ended in a binfest.

A lot of historic boat owners who reach the point where they concede they need to sell are far more concerned about who custody of the boat passes in to than they are about selling it for the highest price possible.

This can be kind of frustrating to a genuine enthusiast looking to buy, but who may not get the opportunity because they are not well known in the world of historic boats, but I can easily understand why many owners act as they do.

At the end of the day an owner has completely free choice about how they decide to sell a boat, and what their priorities are when making that sale.

If prices go over $100000 ( sorry Australian keyboard) do you get a bucket in the engine ole and a pump out in the conversion, or does that make a two pot? Sorry bad day at work

Hold your "alt" key down then press 0163 - you should end up with a "£".

Considering the HNBC journal is a quarterly, you have to wait at least three months to find out what is being advertised. Brokers, on the other hand, can display - and have shared by as many people who wish to spread the news of what is for sale - almost instantly. But outside of both those avenues, word of mouth amongst those who are involved in social or business circles will always get information that others will not.

Our last boat was purchased through seeing it in the Waterways World classifieds back in May '99, and was sold through word of mouth. People who knew me also knew of my circumstances, and a small queue formed!

Ok, firstly apologies for making the comment which sparked of the last few posts but let me explain myself.

Of course I fully understand that the owner can choose how and where to advertise their boat and that many historic boats change hands without ever being advertised outside the HNBC.

I also understand your position Junior that you did not want to post the name of the boat until the owners had themselves made it public.

However what I don't like and really actually quite upsets me is when someone says to someone else in a public place, as this forum is, "I know of a boat for sale which you may like but don't tell anyone." It's almost like shouting out in the middle of the street to someone "I know the lottery results for the next drawer but keep it a secret" and not expecting other people not to be a bit curious. There are plenty of ways to let others know without sharing the fact in public.

Why do I get quite upset about that? Well I've made it no secret that I've been very very interested in historic boats since my early teens, some 25 plus years ago, and if the right one came along I would try every way possible to raise the finance to purchase one and a large Northwich would be one of the ones which would swing it, depending on which one it actually was. Yes I am that much of a geek about them all.

I hope I didn't cause any offence to either Junior or Jay, it could have been anyone posting it which made me respond the way I did.

Well I've made it no secret that I've been very very interested in historic boats since my early teens, some 25 plus years ago, and if the right one came along I would try every way possible to raise the finance to purchase one and a large Northwich would be one of the ones which would swing it, depending on which one it actually was. Yes I am that much of a geek about them all.

Well I can tell you one that it isn't, if that helps reduce the list at all!

("Letchworth", before I get accused of any secretive behaviour!)

Well I can tell you one that it isn't, if that helps reduce the list at all!

("Letchworth", before I get accused of any secretive behaviour!)

I understand that one has a good home already :)

Well I don't know much about the history of Hare, but if it was the hire boat "Water Bulrush", then the record shows that as only a 37 foot long 4 berth boat, (with a centre cockpit!).

It would therefore seem reasonable to assume that as much as half the current "Hare" is actually new boat, rather than Josher, (could be more than that, if the original stern was not retained).

Does anybody know the detail please?

Quite amusing to see what apparently looks like a genuine "Elsan Bristol" "bucket and chuck it"as the toilet facility- albeit with a posh wooden seat - perhaps not one might expect given the relative fit out of the rest of the boat.

Alan one shouldn't throw stones in a glass house as there is less "new" boat in hare than sickle

Alan one shouldn't throw stones in a glass house as there is less "new" boat in hare than sickle

It's hard to undestand how that can be true, to be honest.

The vast majority of Sickle's new steel is the bottom, and as I presume Hare was a composite boat that now isn't, on that score they would appear to be completely equal.

Apart from that, hull-wise, Sickle has a some of its rear sides, its counter and its uxter replaced, everything else being original., as far as I know.

Can you explain why you think there is more new boat in Sickle than Hare - I'm genuinely at a loss to see how, unless all the length that was put back into it was from genuine Josher rather than new steel?