Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Not that I can quote, but I did read it somewhere quite recently from someone I regarded (perhaps erroneously) as a reliable informed source.

My own observations of L.M.S.R. boats on the B.C.N. is that yes they were all horse drawn, excluding a couple of experiments where horse boats were fitted with removable propulsion devices.

Up until the building of the iron / steel horse boats by W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd. all L.M.S.R. boats were former S.U.R.C.C. wooden horse boats, and the only liveries I have seen is an adaptation of the S.U.R.C.C. livery. Of all the new iron / steel L.M.S.R. horse boats built by W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd. only six were fitted with cabins (health registered at Wolverhampton in 1930 / 1931), and I have yet to see a quality photograph of one of these as built and painted.

edit - the three narrow beam L.M.S.R. tugs may well have been painted grey (I do not know if they were or were not) but these were not operated on the B.C.N..

edit - remove the word "composite" because they were built with all metal hulls.

Edited by pete harrison

My own observations of L.M.S.R. boats on the B.C.N. is that yes they were all horse drawn, excluding a couple of experiments where horse boats were fitted with removable propulsion devices.

Up until the building of the new iron composite horse boats by W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd. all L.M.S.R. boats were former S.U.R.C.C. wooden horse boats, and the only liveries I have seen is an adaptation of the S.U.R.C.C. livery. Of all the new iron composite L.M.S.R. horse boats built by W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd. only six were fitted with cabins (health registered at Wolverhampton in 1930 / 1931), and I have yet to see a quality photograph of one of these as built and painted.

edit - the three narrow beam L.M.S.R. tugs may well have been painted grey (I do not know if they were or were not) but these were not operated on the B.C.N..

Thanks for that. I may have been wrong on the grey, but this does support the view that the boats would have carried a 'utility' livery appropriate to freight carrying, rather than the maroon and gold which Tebay (and other boats) now carries.

Thanks for that. I may have been wrong on the grey, but this does support the view that the boats would have carried a 'utility' livery appropriate to freight carrying, rather than the maroon and gold which Tebay (and other boats) now carries.

I imagine several L.M.S.R. narrow boats have been painted in the maroon livery as it is both attractive and has a historical link with the company. I also have little doubt that some owners may believe this livery to be correct for their boat captain.gif

Does the back cabin shape look dead weird too, or is it me?

Or perhaps it's the camera angle...

MtB

I was just looking at that aspect of TEBAY myself. In my opinion TEBAY would have looked better without the upswept toward the stern cabin (like a G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. motor). Most purpose built B.C.N. tugs were built with flat cabins.

Edited by pete harrison

I imagine several L.M.S.R. narrow boats have been painted in the maroon livery as it is both attractive and has a historical link with the company. I also have little doubt that some owners may believe this livery to be correct for their boat captain.gif

Agreed. I'm pretty sure I've also seen the maroon livery on modern boats with no connection with the LMSR.

Not on any list yet, but this lovely Yarwood and Sons tug appeared today,

20140925_163345_zpsb1jkb7gy.jpg

Will it be listed on t'eBay?

Bogus or not, she gives a handsome impression. I can see what is meant about the upsweep, but it is a graceful curve, not the abrupt duck's-tail which spoils the lines of some boats.

Will it be listed on t'eBay?

Bogus or not, she gives a handsome impression. I can see what is meant about the upsweep, but it is a graceful curve, not the abrupt duck's-tail which spoils the lines of some boats.

That picture suggests that the tiller will be below the top of the cabin slide runners (and therefore can't be long enough to reach the cabin), which is all wrong in my book.

Tim

I don't know the history of Tebay specifically, but isn't the reality that most of the LMS station boats would not have had any livery on the cabins, maroon, grey, "utility", or otherwise, because most were built without cabins?

I was just looking at that aspect of TEBAY myself. In my opinion TEBAY would have looked better without the upswept toward the stern cabin (like a G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. motor). Most purpose built B.C.N. tugs were built with flat cabins.

This has been talked about in previous postings. The new maroon livery, (which I doubt it has carried for more than a year), seems to have accentuated the severe upsweep. I thought it looked far less noticeable when in the grey.

Tim makes a good point about tiller height.

We were looking to buy "Ajax", and I was under no illusion that it was no more than a former horseboat with a motor counter and conversion, or that the LMS livery was not authentic. However I do think that on Ajax the cabin conversion has been done far more sympathetically that on Tebay, and looks far more like one might have expected a Station Boat motor to have looked like, had such things ever been built.

I don't know the history of Tebay specifically, but isn't the reality that most of the LMS station boats would not have had any livery on the cabins, maroon, grey, "utility", or otherwise, because most were built without cabins?

see post 1026 of this thread, the middle paragraph in particular:-

"Of all the new iron composite L.M.S.R. horse boats built by W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd. only six were fitted with cabins"

edit - period photographs indicate that the fore and aft top bends of the open boats were painted white, with some lettering (including fleet number) on the stern.

Edited by pete harrison

see post 1026 of this thread, the middle paragraph in particular:-

"Of all the new iron composite L.M.S.R. horse boats built by W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd. only six were fitted with cabins"

edit - period photographs indicate that the fore and aft top bends of the open boats were painted white, with some lettering (including fleet number) on the stern.

You describe them as 'composite', never heard that before?

Tim

Composite was a common term down here in the the "Black Country" but peraphs a local term, applied to the early Bantock boats which had a wooden lower strake in the iron side.

What I meant was that I had never heard it applied to those boats before. It's a term that can be used in a variety of ways, e.g. iron frames and wooden planks, but yes with Narrow Boats it's usually taken to mean metal sides and wooden bottoms.

Tim

So I'm confused now.

Were any/some/most all of these Yarwoods built boats built of composite construction or not?

I always thought they were, but received a swift rebuke from someone when I suggested it not long ago.

If I think about it, isn't it one of these boats in the duplicate lock at Stoke Bruerne top, where the weighing machine has been removed from. From memory that has a rivetted metal bottom that doesn't give the impression of having ever replaced a wooden one.

So I'm confused now.

Were any/some/most all of these Yarwoods built boats built of composite construction or not?

Alan, don't be confused - I made a schoolboy error by not checking something before writing about it.

All of the full length L.M.S.R. narrow boats built by W.J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd. were built with all metal hulls, and only six of these were built with standard type back cabins and full running gear.