What's this connector?

Biggles

Featured Posts

Sorry I should have given more info.

It's on the head unit of my VHF set. This is the male part.

The female part has a rubber gasket to provide a level of waterproofness.

I have one installed on the boat now that came with the set but I also want to use the set elsewhere and need an extra power lead.

It's a male two pin connector, of spurious origin, Carl as probable found it. Cut it off and fit any male/ female connection of your choice or better still if it's not feeding a portable appliance, solder the bugger out of circuit!

Solder, on a boat, and on a mission critical instrument like a VHF? also no point in cutting as the other end is chassis mount, call the importer on 01962 866667 and get a spare OEM lead for the price of a bus ride, I have always found them very helpful and I'm sure they would be equally helpful to end users too.

Edited by NMEA

Sorry I should have given more info.

It's on the head unit of my VHF set. This is the male part.

The female part has a rubber gasket to provide a level of waterproofness.

I have one installed on the boat now that came with the set but I also want to use the set elsewhere and need an extra power lead.

Looks and sounds like a propriety connector unique to the manufacturer of your radio. You might get lucky with them.

Thanks everyone.

Solder, on a boat, and on a mission critical instrument like a VHF? also no point in cutting as the other end is chassis mount, call the importer on 01962 866667 and get a spare OEM lead for the price of a bus ride, I have always found them very helpful and I'm sure they would be equally helpful to end users too.

NEMA Is that the same as the GPS output wires on my VHF set? If so what can I do with these wires.

Thanks everyone.

NEMA Is that the same as the GPS output wires on my VHF set? If so what can I do with these wires.

Plug them into a GPS?

That's what tells the radio where you are, if you need to make a DSC call.

Tim

Thanks everyone.

For connecting NMEA0183, (these can be listeners or talkers on a VHF set), though the talkers would be to show the broadcast vessel on a plotter so may not even need top be connected in your case, anyway I digress, the best way we have found to connect NMEA0183 cables is using a mono in line mini jack plug & socket, it's what Icom actually provide on their NMEA outputs, well done soldering is OK in that case as there is immidiate strain relief, cover the inline jack socket and plug with non adhesive heat shring to prevent it coming apart but still be demountable by cutting the heat shrink if needs be. Any extention to the NMEA cables should be with 22 to 28 AWG twisted pair screened cable with the screen drain conductor grounded at the talker end.

Looks like an AMP / Tyco Econoseal. I'll ask one of our connector team on Monday, they'll recognise it.

Does the female have a separate piece (anti-backout) fitted over the terminals? If it is an econoseal then you should be able to find them on Rover cars since they were our corporate connector for about 15 years.

Edited by Chalky

Solder, on a boat, and on a mission critical instrument like a VHF?

I keep coming across this stuff. Has the ability to make a reliable soldered joint vanished to the point where I'm the only one left who can do it? I would say that failed crimp connections outnumber failed solder connections around 100/1 in my experience. :huh:

I keep coming across this stuff. Has the ability to make a reliable soldered joint vanished to the point where I'm the only one left who can do it? I would say that failed crimp connections outnumber failed solder connections around 100/1 in my experience. :huh:

I've just been rewiring the power plug for my VHF, a Sailor brand, allegedly in its day one of the best you could get. How are the connections made?

Yes, by soldering. There is no alternative (in this case).

How are all the internal joints made on any electronics kit?

Tim

I've just been rewiring the power plug for my VHF, a Sailor brand, allegedly in its day one of the best you could get. How are the connections made?

Yes, by soldering. There is no alternative (in this case).

How are all the internal joints made on any electronics kit?

Tim

If you read my post fully you would see that solder is appropriate where strain relief is immidiate and no flexing is present, it is in cable to cable joints where it can flex that solder is not the way to go as it turns the multi strand stuff into solid conductor and nobody would use solid conductor cable, fact is I can't (despite being perfectly able to) make soldered joints in stranded conductors and sign it off as compliant. Inside switch panels and component boards is an entirely different matter.

Been an electrician 30 years I just treat it with the contempt it deserved, a little bit of knowledge is dangerous in some peoples hands and they don't think things through before they type.

You are absolutely right about failure rates of crimped verses soldered. I know which I would prefer, a properly spliced soldered joint over a crimped one, but eh what do I know.

Been an electrician 30 years I just treat it with the contempt it deserved, a little bit of knowledge is dangerous in some peoples hands and they don't think things through before they type.

You are absolutely right about failure rates of crimped verses soldered. I know which I would prefer, a properly spliced soldered joint over a crimped one, but eh what do I know.

Soldering and crimping both have their place and application on board and the applications are quite different to shore based stuff, though they have similarities to harsh environment factory control systems. Thing is crimps fail because they are not made with proper tools and using the correct terminals for the conductor sizing etc not because they are crimps. One simply needs to look at the number of horrid auto red, blue, yellow fully insulated crimps where it is impossible to even see if you have done it properly. My governing body will not allow me to use solder in many applications on vessels, but by the same token the specification laid down for crip terminals and their use and post crimp testing is very high and the insulation must provide relief to the conductor at the same time.

Try soldering radar connections while dangling from a bosun's chair half way up a mast and see how far you get.

"Been an electrician 30 years I just treat it with the contempt it deserved, a little bit of knowledge is dangerous in some peoples hands and they don't think things through before they type."

I take that as a personal affront, if you think that 35 years experience and advanced level marine specific electrical and electronic certification is "a little knowlege" you are sorely mistaken. It was only about fifteen years ago that I had a similar on going argument about solid conducter versus multi strand, time, as it usually does will tell.

Edited by NMEA

Soldering and crimping both have their place and application on board and the applications are quite different to shore based stuff, though they have similarities to harsh environment factory control systems. Thing is crimps fail because they are not made with proper tools and using the correct terminals for the conductor sizing etc not because they are crimps. One simply needs to look at the number of horrid auto red, blue, yellow fully insulated crimps where it is impossible to even see if you have done it properly. My governing body will not allow me to use solder in many applications on vessels, but by the same token the specification laid down for crip terminals and their use and post crimp testing is very high and the insulation must provide relief to the conductor at the same time.

Try soldering radar connections while dangling from a bosun's chair half way up a mast and see how far you get.

"Been an electrician 30 years I just treat it with the contempt it deserved, a little bit of knowledge is dangerous in some peoples hands and they don't think things through before they type."

I take that as a personal affront, if you think that 35 years experience and advanced level marine specific electrical and electronic certification is "a little knowlege" you are sorely mistaken. It was only about fifteen years ago that I had a similar on going argument about solid conducter versus multi strand, time, as it usually does will tell.

I could be dangling upside down from a trapeese wire but I still know which of the joints is the most electrically and mechanically sound of the two.

The only time a crimped joint should be used is as a temporary fix until a proper repair can be made, for example I worked in a coal mine and for obvious reasons soldering was out of the question, but once a temporary fix had been put in place a more long term solution was found, even is it meant either bringing the equipment out of the mine or a rewire.

The only time a crimped joint should be used is as a temporary fix until a proper repair can be made

OMG!!!!

I had better stop flying, travelling by train and go and rewire all our cars immediately!

Richard

I'd better stop using this computer too before it bursts into flame, assuming the internet can survive long enough to get the signal through...

Edited by RLWP