The Shroppie Fly Pub

Doorman

Featured Posts

We had a lucky break on Sunday then. Called in at the Shroppie Fly and was dismayed to see it oh so quiet. Feel a lot better knowing why. There was no food available of course but they were selling the beer off cheap too!

Although the smoking ban did have an effect at the time I think it's effect now is far less than we would like to think. I deliver adult training sessions and as a result have to tell people where they are allowed to smoke. I would estimate that fewer than 15% of my course attendees smoke.

There are many reasons for the decline, drink driving adherence, smoking bans, lack of manual work are all contributory. I think another significant factor is the internet. People, particularly youngsters don't go to the pub to interact socially. They can do it online on facebook, and they do it incessantly whilst either watching one of the zillion TV channels available to them or downloading a film from netflicks.

The pub is losing the battle with the internet. I'm surprised no one in Government has worked out how to put a tax on it yet.

I understand that the Shroppie Fly is now closed due to its annual allocation of Guinness being consumed by one enthusiastic pool player last Saturday.

Good job I left at 2:30...

Crikey...!

I've been outed, lol.

(Still suffering and Chrissie broke a rib -honestly- laughing all night with the jolly Irishmen)

Detectives were called to The Shroppie Fly pub in the early hours on Sunday morning following a break in by vandals. Reports are coming in that over two thousand pounds worth of improvements were made. However, a police spokesperson commented that the kitchen cleaning utensils remained undisturbed!

You heard it here first.

Edited by Doorman

Thinking of stopping there next week. What's the latest news on the Shroppie any decent beer and what's the food like.

Cheers

Ian

As reported by Doorman on 19th September, post 144:

The Shroppie Fly closes on Monday for a six week refurb and a promise from Punch Tavern's Project Manager that it will be the best pub in the village. When questioned about future beer prices the chap would not commit himself.

Considering that The Bridge pub some 80 metres further up the wharf is now quite a popular drinking and eating hole, largely due to Marston's competitive approach and not forgetting the landlord and landlady's warm and friendly ambience, Punch will have to do more than simply overhaul this tired and dated establishment.

I agree about the friendly welcome at The Bridge. We ran out of time on a trip up The Shroppie and not wanting to miss out on a trip to Audlem, grabbed a taxi in order to have a mooch around the village and mill. We popped into The Bridge for a pint and asked the landlord if he had a taxi number - but without hesitation, he offered to run us back in his car. I have always wanted to publicly applaud this - and I guess this is my chance!

Now THAT'S what I call going the extra mile in customer relations. We have been to the bridge quire a few times and have always had good welcome . An example of how a well pub can survive even in these tough times. We have tried the Fly a few times over many years but have always left disappointed.

TC

I agree about the friendly welcome at The Bridge. We ran out of time on a trip up The Shroppie and not wanting to miss out on a trip to Audlem, grabbed a taxi in order to have a mooch around the village and mill. We popped into The Bridge for a pint and asked the landlord if he had a taxi number - but without hesitation, he offered to run us back in his car. I have always wanted to publicly applaud this - and I guess this is my chance!

That'll be Gary, he doesn't have a car but is well known in the village for stealing them at a whim, especially when people need a lift home..........

Do they do any decent real ales?

Cheers

Ian

I spoke today to the MD of the company that is leasing the Shroppie Fly. It will be reopening on Monday 11 November after complete refurbishment - a reputed spend of about £225,000. The boat bar (unfortunately, a Joey and not a fly boat) remains, but everything else is being replaced. It sounds as if the food offerings will be excellent and varied, and you'll be able to buy any item on a take away basis too.

I spoke today to the MD of the company that is leasing the Shroppie Fly. It will be reopening on Monday 11 November after complete refurbishment - a reputed spend of about £225,000. The boat bar (unfortunately, a Joey and not a fly boat) remains, but everything else is being replaced. It sounds as if the food offerings will be excellent and varied, and you'll be able to buy any item on a take away basis too.

Hello Peter,

Did Tim reveal his price structure? He tried to charge £3.95 for a pint of Guinness a couple of months ago with the result that the The Bridge's takings were suddenly increased.

We are currently enjoying the delights of Yorkshire where the canny landlords offer value for money. Tim would do well to analyse the demographics of a village like Audlem and not delude himself with the belief that a total refurb will pull the bread and butter trade back into The Fly. Relying on passing trade during the summer season could be his undoing as well you know. A breach or other unexpected closure on the canal can decimate trade!

Hi Mike

I didn't ask him about his price structure, though he did say that he'd been to the other pubs to see what they do. His food prices are likely to be set between the other two pubs. He said that they'd be similar to his headline pub (he has about seven) - the Two Lifeboats at Sheringham. Prices there, according to the website are about £7-£10 per meal. There will be regular special events, and things to accompany the various community/social events for which Audlem is well-known. Tim has already worked out that the summer trade and winter trade are probably very different, and that in winter he needs locals and people from the surrounding area. The pub will open early and do breakfasts - full breakfast, or breakfast baps. This should appeal to boaters particularly. Let's hope that it all works out!

There is no way I would step off my boat ever to go for breakfast. Lunch and Dinner more often than not but breakfast no.

I think there was a natural hierarchy operating in the village. All three pubs serve a decent pint. I wouldn't avoid any of them because of the beer although the Bridge is at a disadvantage because Marston's is widely available. The food at the Comberbach has always been excellent but the most expensive, the Bridge has been OK and the Shroppie was a mine field. Chunky chips were great if cooked through, pie was sometimes welded to the plate and the baguettes were sometimes baked and sometimes still dough.

The Shroppie is/was a warehouse so is at a disadvantage straight away. I hope the new tenants do well but they are walking a tightrope. My favourite pub (not in Audlem) put his prices up from £2.50 to £2.70 and his regulars voted with their feet. When all said and done the regulars will determine whether you sink or swim. The boaters are passing through

Hi Mike

Tim has already worked out that the summer trade and winter trade are probably very different, and that in winter he needs locals and people from the surrounding area. The pub will open early and do breakfasts - full breakfast, or breakfast baps. This should appeal to boaters particularly. Let's hope that it all works out!

It's pleasing that Tim has now recognised the value of the locals, as before and according to one of his former employees, we were referred to as 'moaners'! Charming.

The Shroppie is/was a warehouse so is at a disadvantage straight away. I hope the new tenants do well but they are walking a tightrope. My favourite pub (not in Audlem) put his prices up from £2.50 to £2.70 and his regulars voted with their feet. When all said and done the regulars will determine whether you sink or swim. The boaters are passing through

Would you like to put that in bold writing and forward it to Tim.

Our thoughts exactly!

Edited by Doorman

• 3 weeks later...

The refurbishment of the Shroppie Fly at Audlem is almost complete. Tim Joudry of Stella Inns and Punch Taverns have spent almost £300,000 on a major refit. The Joey boat is still there as a bar (pity it isn't a fly boat, but they are rarer than hens' teeth), and so are some of Harry Arnold's evocative photos of the canal about 50 years ago or more, but not much else. Some would say that this is a good thing, as the carpet and furniture were a little tired, to say the least. I understand that the pub will be a little brighter - apparently, they have bought one or two more 60w bulbs!

The Shroppie reopens at noon on Tuesday 12 November, unfortunately for them the day after the stoppage starts at nearby Adderley locks. There's a special "do" on the evening of Friday 15 November, with food samples, music etc.

We live and do business next door, and wish the new management well. The last twelve months at the Shroppie have been pretty grim (this summer, nightly deliveries of drugs, lots of fights, bad language, damage to vehicles, all a result of irresponsible pub management), and things will no doubt be instantly better.

Do come back to the Shroppie Fly and forget the past!

• Greenie 1

The last twelve months at the Shroppie have been pretty grim (this summer, nightly deliveries of drugs, lots of fights, bad language, damage to vehicles)

And that was just the Punch Tavern executives!

On a more serious note, the finishing touches are now being applied to what was a very tired looking pub and all credit to Tim and dare I say Punch, for investing so much time and money into this once very popular canal side Inn. We pass the building on a daily basis and have watched the progress with interest, especially as previously, we could have been accredited as stakeholders given our daily investment in the place.

The pub now has an air of class about it with its tastefully applied alterations and gauging by the level of the catering equipment being installed, they mean business with the suggested food offerings. Beer prices will ultimately determine how the local trade view their new watering hole and unless there's going to be topless waiters, high prices will not go down well!

As Peter (Hastings) says, forget the past disappointments and if you're passing this way, give this newly refurbished establishment a try.

Ah, that last statement should guarantee a free first pint of liquid gold for himself, or even a Pimms if the Guinness isn't on draught!

• 3 weeks later...

The Shroppie Fly has now been open a week. We have been in two or three times, and ate there on Saturday. The transformation is dramatic - the pub is clean, well lit and doesn't smell. The decor isn't entirely to my taste, but is fairly plain, and well executed. Furniture is simple and functional, but comfortable. The new stone floor in most areas is of high quality. One area (near the fire, now a stove) is still carpeted. Some of the old Harry Arnold canal photos are still there, plus other old photos of the Shroppie and Audlem village. There are murals with maps and photos of the wharf area. Above all, the bar is still there in the form of the wooden joey boat, though above gunwhale level, it has been refitted. There are seven handpumps, and all had real ales on, so that's a great improvement. Beer prices are a bit high, but this seems to tie in with the fact that this pub is intended to be a destination, with good drink and food, not a pub to drink to excess as was the case for the last few years.

The food is very reasonably priced - meals start at £4.95 and most items are under £8.00. We very very impressed with the quality and quantity. It's essentially pub food, with no pretensions, but service was fast and the food good.

It's very obvious that nearly £300,000 has been spent on the refurbishment.

Do go to the Shroppie - it's far better than it has been for many years, and bearing in mind that many canal pubs have closed, it deserves to be supported.

Peter

• 2 years later...

Resurrection of a dated thread.

Some here may realise I like me pubs.

We have just passed through Audlem, prior I thought I would look online at the Shroppie. Lovely photos of the refurbed pub. About seven different ales being offered. Nice and tidy. Wasn't sure,as boaters, we were to be welcomed.

Anyway, in we went yesterday, not very busy, a few people eating, two people waiting at the boat bar, we walked through into the back room, two chaps waiting at the bar to be served their first of the day, waiting for the rugger to start. We waited, and waited,and chatted,and waited. After ages we decided enough is enough and left. Two ales available. One lass on her own, maybe not her fault, but a Saturday lunchtime!!! Quite a bit of boat movement as the locks have now opened after quite a while.

To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. Money on the refurb seems to have been wasted if it's not going to be backed up by investment in service.

I feel better now.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

Resurrection of a dated thread.

Some here may realise I like me pubs.

We have just passed through Audlem, prior I thought I would look online at the Shroppie. Lovely photos of the refurbed pub. About seven different ales being offered. Nice and tidy. Wasn't sure,as boaters, we were to be welcomed.

Anyway, in we went yesterday, not very busy, a few people eating, two people waiting at the boat bar, we walked through into the back room, two chaps waiting at the bar to be served their first of the day, waiting for the rugger to start. We waited, and waited,and chatted,and waited. After ages we decided enough is enough and left. Two ales available. One lass on her own, maybe not her fault, but a Saturday lunchtime!!! Quite a bit of boat movement as the locks have now opened after quite a while.

To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. Money on the refurb seems to have been wasted if it's not going to be backed up by investment in service.

I feel better now.

Martyn

Should have gone to the Boat, much better pub :-)

Yes, it was considered by one of us!!

One of us was also overruled. I wanted to go into the Shroppie to have a look and it would've been rude not to have a beverage. To go into the Boat, was not on the itinerary.

We took on water and proceeded.

Sadly, what a waste of such an iconic pub, but then again, Punch & Judy Taverns are so adept at doing this.

It was envisaged when the new tenant received the keys, that the old traditions of a 'boater's pub' would be long lost in the mist of corporate image and stereotypical gourmet pub identity. Having spent so many memorable days and nights at this once inviting place, it does sadden me to see how it has been ruined.