A Licensing Question

cl@rkey

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

Time to throw myself at your mercy, yet again (there are CWDF members that I could have PM'ed about this, but keeping it private would be of no help to anyone else - although I'm not sure how common this situation is!)

To recap, I recently bought a narrowboat after getting a residential mooring on the River Cam. My boat is currently on the River Soar, the wrong side of stoppages. To get to the Cam, I will be crossing 3 different authorities' waters, one of which (Cam Conservancy) I've already sorted out, but by the time I get past the stoppages, that licence will have expired (grrr!)

Given the stoppages on the Soar and the Nene, what CRT & EA licences will be most suitable/cheapest? I believe CRT do a 30 day licence, but I'll throw this one out to you guys.

As always, thanks for any & all advice!

Edited by cl@rkey

Hi folks,

Time to throw myself at your mercy, yet again (there are CWDF members that I could have PM'ed about this, but keeping it private would be of no help to anyone else - although I'm not sure how common this situation is!)

To recap, I recently bought a narrowboat after getting a residential mooring on the River Cam. My boat is currently on the River Soar, the wrong side of stoppages. To get to the Cam, I will be crossing 3 different authorities' waters, one of which (Cam Conservancy) I've already sorted out, but by the time I get past the stoppages, that licence will have expired (grrr!)

Given the stoppages on the Soar and the Nene, what CRT & EA licences will be most suitable/cheapest? I believe CRT do a 30 day licence, but I'll throw this one out to you guys.

As always, thanks for any & all advice!

You used to be able to buy EA licenses for a day, £7 a day for any length boat. Given that £7 per day was cheaper than the daily rate for a weekly license for a longish boat, this is good value, but may have been pulled or the number of consequtive days limited. If so, you'll need a weekly license.

In any case, it's very easy: just buy your license as you pass from Gayton marina which is at the top of the Northampton Arm, before you head down Rothersthorpe flight and onto the Nene.

MP.

ETA. I should have mentioned that the one EA license covers the Nene and the Gt Ouse.

Edited by MoominPapa

Has the boat not already got a CRT licence, then, and if not why not? Or was it out of the water?

Hi MoC,

No current CRT licence. The previous owner had died, so the boat had been subject to the usual bureaucracy of probate and was consequently left sitting there awhile.

Thanks Matty & MP - that sounds relatively painless! :cheers:

Thanks Matty & MP - that sounds relatively painless! :cheers:

I should also have said that you don't need a license for the Middle Level, but the lock-keeper will want to see insurance and BSS docs as you pass onto the ML at Stanground lock in Peterborough.

MP.

I should also have said that you don't need a license for the Middle Level, but the lock-keeper will want to see insurance and BSS docs as you pass onto the ML at Stanground lock in Peterborough.

Ah right, I hadn't known that! Thanks again.

Looking on the web for licencing a 62 foot boat:-

Short term Environment Agency licence for Anglian waterways is £99.89 for 31 days, £39.95 for 7 days and £7.50 for one day.

It also states you need a navigation key £10

Short term CRT licences are £143.25 for one month, £ 48.24 for 7 days and £28.65 for one day.

The licence may begin on any day.

The web states that the prices are for advance purchase, otherwise prices are double the amount shown (no idea what this means in practice).

CRT short term licences can be purchased on line, follow the link from http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing

CRT boat licencing team can be contacted on 0303 040 4040

Looking on the web for licencing a 62 foot boat:-

Short term Environment Agency licence for Anglian waterways is £99.89 for 31 days, £39.95 for 7 days and £7.50 for one day.

It also states you need a navigation key £10

Short term CRT licences are £143.25 for one month, £ 48.24 for 7 days and £28.65 for one day.

The licence may begin on any day.

The web states that the prices are for advance purchase, otherwise prices are double the amount shown (no idea what this means in practice).

CRT short term licences can be purchased on line, follow the link from http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing

CRT boat licencing team can be contacted on 0303 040 4040

Hi arbutus,

I already have the EA Abloy key, which I'm assuming is the navigation key you mentioned. Thanks for all that info! I believe CRT do a 30 day licence, whereby you get 30 tickets, and simply put a new ticket in your window for each day you're on CRT waters. Not certain if that will be my best option or not. I'll check out your link. Many thanks!

The 30 day Explorer licence does give thirty individual day tickets which you have to date and display. It looks like they have to be used within a 12 month period. For a 62 foot boat the Explorer licence costs £ 191.51, whereas the straight one month licence costs £143.22

This link http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing/choosing-and-buying-your-licence/short-term-visitor-licence states that explorer licences are only available via the internet.

The 30 day Explorer licence does give thirty individual day tickets which you have to date and display. It looks like they have to be used within a 12 month period. For a 62 foot boat the Explorer licence costs £ 191.51, whereas the straight one month licence costs £143.22

This link http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing/choosing-and-buying-your-licence/short-term-visitor-licence states that explorer licences are only available via the internet.

Thanks arbutus, I've had a chance to look into this a bit further now. I think I'll be stuck on the Soar at least until the end of March, so a 1 month Rivers Only Licence. (£82.17) will probably be my best option for this period. After that, I'll need to work out how long the journey to the Nene will take me, and buy another licence to cover that.

Good luck with your cruise. Hopefully we will be arriving in Cambridge on our new boat at a similar sort of time. If it all goes ahead, we'll be coming down the Soar too.

Edited by Black Ibis

Good luck with your cruise. Hopefully we will be arriving in Cambridge on our new boat at a similar sort of time. If it all goes ahead, we'll be coming down the Soar too.

Breaker one-nine. I hear you, good buddy. You're coming in loud & clear, Lucky Duck. Fancy forming a(n admittedly small) convoy? Over.

[ref: C.W.McCall] :-)

Buy your Cam Conservancy licence. It covers the Nene and Ouse too, and you will need one eventually. You then only need to cover the CRT part. :)

Edit: it won't be a small convoy, our new boat is full length.....

Oops, sorry FadeToScarlet - nearly missed your reply.

Ah, thanks for that. I hadn't realised my CamCon licence also covered the Nene. That's one less worry, at least! :cheers:

Lets hope they have dredged Salters Lode and Denver Sluice by then.. Currently unnavigable. Also this time of year you'll need to check EA havent got stoppages, you need to give Stanground 48 hours notice, and she doesnt work on Tuesdays in the winter. Also check Middle Level commission for any stoppages.

Convoy a good idea - Nene not the easiest place to navigate. Middle levels and Nene also have their own sets of keys, and Middle levels have different windlass. You can get all these from Fox Boats in March.

Took me 4 months to go the other way about htis time last year (Old West to Shardlow). Mainly due to stoppages and drought (at least you wont have that problem!).

Lets hope they have dredged Salters Lode and Denver Sluice by then.. Currently unnavigable. Also this time of year you'll need to check EA havent got stoppages, you need to give Stanground 48 hours notice, and she doesnt work on Tuesdays in the winter. Also check Middle Level commission for any stoppages.

Convoy a good idea - Nene not the easiest place to navigate. Middle levels and Nene also have their own sets of keys, and Middle levels have different windlass. You can get all these from Fox Boats in March.

Took me 4 months to go the other way about htis time last year (Old West to Shardlow). Mainly due to stoppages and drought (at least you wont have that problem!).

You can also get a key and windlass for the middle level from Tina at Stanground. I think you will also find that she only needs 24 hrs notice. Full information on the Middle Level web site at http://www.middlelevel.gov.uk/docs/Navigation/NavNotes2012(current).pdf