Bow Thrusters

Dave45

Featured Posts

Why do some people have to have a bow thruster?

When you put the back into the canal bank does it swing out when you put the bow thruster on to bring the front in?

It looks so comicle.

Its like penis envey, you either got it or you haven't

When you put the back into the canal bank does it swing out when you put the bow thruster on to bring the front in?

It looks so comicle.

A bow thruster is a bit like an automatic on a car,if you havent got it,you make do with the manual approach.

It looks so comicle.

Your spelling of comical looks comical too Dave. Don't have a down on bow thrusters as like it or not they are really useful. Of course you can manage without one but let's face it you can manage without a boat if you want. We were in doubt as to having a bow thruster but they are a great bit of kit and worth every penny if you can run to one.

1. You dont have to have a bow thruster. Its optional.

Those of us who have them don't use them all the time. They come in handy

sometimes.

2. Generally you use a combination of prop/rudder with thruster.

I can't say I've noticed the stern see-sawing when the thruster is used.

If you have a boat and need to ask this question, you probably don't need a thruster.

It looks so comicle.

It looks so comicle.

Nobody has to have a bow thruster, it's an option some people choose.

It's called the stern, and if you were to use a bowthruser in this rather unothodox fashion it wouldn't really swing out when you brought the "bow" in.

Edited by blackrose

A Bow Thruster is a real dilemma for the male boater -

it is a gadget, a wonderful electric gadget, which, when used, is visible for all around to see and to behold how gadget rich you are.

BUT,

to not have one is tough, it is demanding, it is the mark of a man to skilfully manoeuvre his floating kingdom with raw skill.

Either way you win! :-)

I came back from France on monday and the ferry we came back on had a bow thruster! It was windy and the poor soul on the helm had a devil of a job getting in on the berth, it took two attempts and much bow thrusting to get it to berth. :blush:

It was strangely satisfying to see that even the profesionals struggle at times in blustery conditions.

A Bow Thruster is a real dilemma for the male boater -

it is a gadget, a wonderful electric gadget, which, when used, is visible for all around to see and to behold how gadget rich you are.

BUT,

to not have one is tough, it is demanding, it is the mark of a man to skilfully manoeuvre his floating kingdom with raw skill.

Either way you win! :-)

Oh never thought of it like that extra button to play with or just skillful handling thats a tough un

By the way we havnt got one how do they cope in strong wind??

We have one, but it doesnt work...

Serously. This had be covered ###times before, but in summery, its usefull on occation, but you should be able to do it without, incase it fails, and for your own mental well being.

- Its also a little commical when people use them just to be lasy, such as mooring, or steering into a lock!

Daniel

i have noticed that them with a bow thruster always seem to have a good look around before they actually push the button,its like they need to know someone is noticing the use of it.

once or twice things seem to have gone wrong as the attention has stayed on who is watching and not on where the thruster is putting the boat.

as someone who had the choice and chose not to have one i have no regrets,i dont need a bow thruster to make me look like a tosspot.

i have noticed that them with a bow thruster always seem to have a good look around before they actually push the button,its like they need to know someone is noticing the use of it.

once or twice things seem to have gone wrong as the attention has stayed on who is watching and not on where the thruster is putting the boat.

as someone who had the choice and chose not to have one i have no regrets,i dont need a bow thruster to make me look like a tosspot.

Gaggle your posting is utter rubbish.

Gaggle your posting is utter rubbish.

I second that. I've heard some ridiculous opinions on this forum but that one takes the biscuit. Perhaps you should re-read it yourself gaggle... Then again you could be right - last time I used my bowthruster there was nobody looking and I had to take two days off work because I felt so depressed. I've also tried getting attention from passers by when I start my engine but it just isn't the same....

I think the venting of spleen from those who "have no regrets" in not getting a bowthruster, says more about the people throwing the insults than those whose boats are equiped.

It's fairly obvious who the "tosspot" is here.

Edited by blackrose

So using a Bow thruster makes one look like a toss pot eh?

Maybe they said that when they first put an engine in a Canal Boat.

Yes! maybe they will uninvent the Wheel, Pneumatic Tyres, Electricity, and all the modern essentials we have with us in this world!

I for one embrace modern technoligy, I wouldn't put to sea on my sailing boat without my Chart Plotter, Vhf Radio, echo sounder etc or indeed my engine!. and indeed the vast majority of the worlds shipping have Bow thrusters.

Also, on the Canals, I have been on boats with and without "The Girly Machines". If there there I'll use em. if there not I'll do without or use springs.

Like most things, It must be used as an aid, it comes into use with me in high winds were otherwise there is a danger the boat would be pushed into moored craft, keeping the boat on station awaiting others to come through a bridge maybe, close quarters stuff were one would normaly use springs etc!

Come on lets not knock technology, if its available use it!

nipper

So using a Bow thruster makes one look like a toss pot eh?

Maybe they said that when they first put an engine in a Canal Boat.

Yes! maybe they will uninvent the Wheel, Pneumatic Tyres, Electricity, and all the modern essentials we have with us in this world!

I for one embrace modern technoligy, I wouldn't put to sea on my sailing boat without my Chart Plotter, Vhf Radio, echo sounder etc or indeed my engine!. and indeed the vast majority of the worlds shipping have Bow thrusters.

Also, on the Canals, I have been on boats with and without "The Girly Machines". If there there I'll use em. if there not I'll do without or use springs.

Like most things, It must be used as an aid, it comes into use with me in high winds were otherwise there is a danger the boat would be pushed into moored craft, keeping the boat on station awaiting others to come through a bridge maybe, close quarters stuff were one would normaly use springs etc!

Come on lets not knock technology, if its available use it!

nipper

I hear ya brother!

the antics of some with bow thrusters make them look tosspots was what was said.

i did not say people should not have them just i chose not to.

i dont know why you mention all the stuff about embracing new technoligy,i said nothing about the equipment just the antics of some that use it.

bow thrusters are hardly cutting edge white hot new technoligy anyway.

if you have one good for you,now pick up your dummies,dont get upset.

the antics of some with bow thrusters make them look tosspots was what was said.

i did not say people should not have them just i chose not to.

i dont know why you mention all the stuff about embracing new technoligy,i said nothing about the equipment just the antics of some that use it.

bow thrusters are hardly cutting edge white hot new technoligy anyway.

if you have one good for you,now pick up your dummies,dont get upset.

No, that was not what you said. You obviously didn't read what you wrote.

And I quote "i have noticed that them with a bow thruster always seem to have a good look around before they actually push the button,its like they need to know someone is noticing the use of it."

You didn't say "some people with a bowthruser sometimes use it in this way", you said them with BTs always do it.

Your implication was that those with bowthrusters are tosspots, so you shouldn't be surprised if you get a reaction on this forum.

Anyway, I understand your need to revise what was said to make yourself look a bit more sensible.

Edited by blackrose

No, that was not what you said. You obviously didn't read what you wrote.

And I quote "i have noticed that them with a bow thruster always seem to have a good look around before they actually push the button,its like they need to know someone is noticing the use of it."

You didn't say "some people with a bowthruser sometimes use it in this way", you said them with BTs always do it.

Your implication was that those with bowthrusters are tosspots, so you shouldn't be surprised if you get a reaction on this forum.

Anyway, I understand your need to revise what was said to make yourself look a bit more sensible.

rose i dont think i am trying to change what i said.clearly to me anyway the post said,the antics make them look like tosspots. how can the bow thruster itself give the impression.

also i did point out that i myself needed no help to look a tosspot,dont be selective in your interpertrations.

ok you have a bow thruster,so what.

rose i dont think i am trying to change what i said.clearly to me anyway the post said,the antics make them look like tosspots. how can the bow thruster itself give the impression.

also i did point out that i myself needed no help to look a tosspot,dont be selective in your interpertrations.

ok you have a bow thruster,so what.

Well if you look back at the thread you'll see it wan't just me who thought your comments were ridiculous. There were at least two others who interpreted them in this way.

So what? So in future perhaps you should be a little more thoughtful about what you say if you don't want it misinterpreted.

Edited by blackrose

Now I know Gaggle seems to have a thing against bowthrusters or their users, and I have to admit that everytime I hear one now I smile and think “wayhey, Girlie Button” :angry: but there are a few sides to this subject.

Yes, if you can't control a boat without a thruster, then you shouldn't be in charge of a boat.

But, if having one makes life a little easier, then why not?

Some people certainly seem to have them to impress, and use them too much (often the ‘twatt-in-a-hat’ brigade :angry:), and I think this is the kind of t-pot Gaggle's on about.

Last year we took out a 66ft hirer, with no previous experience and minimal instruction, but by the end of the 2 weeks we were quite capable. On the 4-Counties we came across quite a few locks with violent by-washes, where even the most experienced helmsperson would struggle to hold a line, but we were in a hirer, so it didn't matter; all ahead full, cut through the wash, bang bang bang off the sides, full reverse and you're in.

This year we were in our own boat, and what a difference. There are some nasty weirs and sluices on the Llangollen and the Shroppie, some are predictable (“that's going to send me left, plot vector, steer right, Bob's yer uncle”) but others aren't. Apart from the fact that you're constantly listening to the engine and watching the gauges, when your own boat unexpectedly gets knocked off line approaching a lock and ends up trying to squeeze in on the diagonal - well I'm weighing up the forces on the boat and worrying about the welds.

Now ours is only a 45, steers and swims nicely, and I would certainly laugh or cringe at anyone who fitted a BT on anything that size, but if I was in a position to order a new big'un, then I'd certainly consider a thruster.

........ and indeed the vast majority of the worlds shipping have Bow thrusters.

nipper

Not a reasoned argument. The majority of the worlds shipping have bow thrusters for ecconomy of operation...... it saves them the expense of the assistance of a tug boat.

I'm with Gaggle on this one. :angry:

Most of the bow thruster use I see appears to be to make up for the inexperience of the steerer. I've also seem many users that are inexperienced with the use of a bow thruster, we all know they have little effect at any amount of speed, but you see plenty use them in such circumstances.

I wouldn't put to sea on my sailing boat without my Chart Plotter, Vhf Radio, echo sounder etc or indeed my engine!.

nipper

And you would be foolhardy to do so too, that would put lives at risk......... Though yet again, this is not a reasoned argument.........

For more than two centuries the working boatmen of England navigated loaded narrowboats weighing perhaps 50 tons, around the junctions and other tight spots of our canal system with a combination of skill and perhaps the odd bump without putting any lives at risk that a bow thruster would have saved.

Consider this. Would a Tom Tom Go navigator get you across London in the rush hour as efficiently as an knowledgable taxi driver? Machines are an aid, they don't make up for experience. That can only be learned the hard way, and cheating during the learning curve will likely as not take you to a different end point. :angry:

And yes, there were boatmen that retired as horse boaters rather than convert to motor boats, the Skinners with Friendship (preserved at Ellesmere Port) managed with a mule for their whole boating lives all of which came after the introduction of motor boats. :D

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Not a reasoned argument. The majority of the worlds shipping have bow thrusters for ecconomy of operation...... it saves them the expense of the assistance of a tug boat.

I'm with Gaggle on this one. :angry:

Most of the bow thruster use I see appears to be to make up for the inexperience of the steerer. I've also seem many users that are inexperienced with the use of a bow thruster, we all know they have little effect at any amount of speed, but you see plenty use them in such circumstances.

And you would be foolhardy to do so too, that would put lives at risk......... Though yet again, this is not a reasoned argument.........

For more than two centuries the working boatmen of England navigated loaded narrowboats weighing perhaps 50 tons, around the junctions and other tight spots of our canal system with a combination of skill and perhaps the odd bump without putting any lives at risk that a bow thruster would have saved.

Consider this. Would a Tom Tom Go navigator get you across London in the rush hour as efficiently as an knowledgable taxi driver? Machines are an aid, they don't make up for experience. That can only be learned the hard way, and cheating during the learning curve will likely as not take you to a different end point. :angry:

And yes, there were boatmen that retired as horse boaters rather than convert to motor boats, the Skinners with Friendship (preserved at Ellesmere Port) managed with a mule for their whole boating lives all of which came after the introduction of motor boats. :D

I'm not sure your argument is reasoned either: Yes, for more then 2 centuries the working boatmen managed without bowthrusters, but they also managed without engines for the majority of that time too - does this mean that engines only make up for the inexperience of the boater?

I respect anybody's opinion on this forum including the one above, but just feel that some have a negative agenda which extends well beyond the scope of what sort of equipment to have on board. Additionally, I object to being called a wanker!

Edited by blackrose