buying nb new or used

shellfishb5

Featured Posts

hi

i have been weighing up my options whether to buy a new or used nb. i have found a builder local who can build me a new nb for £60k but i dont think i will be able to stretch my finances so i might have to look at a 2nd hand nb. what do i look for in a 2nd hand nb these boats come with moorings which is a priority, what do i look for the cosmetics or the mechanical/electrical side. i am not to bad with mech/elec stuff but hopeless with carpentry, so do i look for a boat thats how i want it inside and worry about the exterior later i am quite happy to rub down and paint the nb, my main problem is that i am 6ft 6ins so my priority is to find a nb that i can stand up in, any advice on what to look for.

andrew

Hello,and welcome to the forum.

This a difficult one,but there many threads here I believe on this very question.its really a case of looking around as many boats as time itself will allow,in the long run for many its probably a good option to buy s/h but like everything else in this life,its very much a case of you get what you pay for,a bit like swings and roundabouts.

Look in the boating rags,ie,Waterways World,Canal boat and the like and check out the boats that are for sale,there are plenty of brokers about aswell,which may be a good direction for you to contact with your requirements,even if you are not exactly sure what you want,its probably a mixtureof lots of differant ideals.

Get as much knowledge as you can from other boat owners,who overall are only to pleased to chat about their boats,many will let you browse(well I normally let people look)Then when you feel confident about your knowledge intake you will certainly be wise enough to perhaps take the plunge.There are always options for new boats aswell,and you may well be pleasantly suprised at what you can get for your money,such as a sailaway lined,or a sailaway +,theres many options open to you.Incidentally your height is not a problem,unless a boat has an exceptionally low roof!

I myself bought a sailaway,and knew little about carpentary,electrics,or plumbing,but I still fitted my boat out myself,so even with a budget and lack of no how to consider, there are ways you can fulfill your dreams.

you havent said if you planned the boat as a liveaboard or not?tGood luck in your search.

Edited by iteldoo4me

Hello,and welcome to the forum.

This a difficult one,but there many threads here I believe on this very question.its really a case of looking around as many boats as time itself will allow,in the long run for many its probably a good option to buy s/h but like everything else in this life,its very much a case of you get what you pay for,a bit like swings and roundabouts.

Look in the boating rags,ie,Waterways World,Canal boat and the like and check out the boats that are for sale,there are plenty of brokers about aswell,which may be a good direction for you to contact with your requirements,even if you are not exactly sure what you want,its probably a mixtureof lots of differant ideals.

Get as much knowledge as you can from other boat owners,who overall are only to pleased to chat about their boats,many will let you browse(well I normally let people look)Then when you feel confident about your knowledge intake you will certainly be wise enough to perhaps take the plunge.There are always options for new boats aswell,and you may well be pleasantly suprised at what you can get for your money,such as a sailaway lined,or a sailaway +,theres many options open to you.Incidentally your height is not a problem,unless a boat has an exceptionally low roof!

I myself bought a sailaway,and knew little about carpentary,electrics,or plumbing,but I still fitted my boat out myself,so even with a budget and lack of no how to consider, there are ways you can fulfill your dreams.

you havent said if you planned the boat as a liveaboard or not?tGood luck in your search.

hi thanks for your input

yes i plan to liveaboard, but i need marina mooring for work and security, to get mooring you have to buy boats that marina has for sale.

hi thanks for your input

yes i plan to liveaboard, but i need marina mooring for work and security, to get mooring you have to buy boats that marina has for sale.

Have you got your mind set on living at one Marina in particular, because they don't all require that you buy from them.

We couldn't afford a new fully fitted boat, so we bought a sailaway from New Boat Co and had it delivered to the marina where we fitted it out and now live.

Roger

Have you got your mind set on living at one Marina in particular, because they don't all require that you buy from them.

We couldn't afford a new fully fitted boat, so we bought a sailaway from New Boat Co and had it delivered to the marina where we fitted it out and now live.

Roger

roger

its the only marina in the area with moorings available, close to work and i already know a few people that live there. i am going to have too buy 2nd hand and with moorings i can pick up boats between £30k and £40k.

i had thought about buying boat then trying to get mooring at the marina but i dont know if there are any spare moorings going

andrew

roger

its the only marina in the area with moorings available, close to work and i already know a few people that live there. i am going to have too buy 2nd hand and with moorings i can pick up boats between £30k and £40k.

i had thought about buying boat then trying to get mooring at the marina but i dont know if there are any spare moorings going

andrew

Moorings are in short supply in many areas of the waterways, although less of a problem where we are in the Fens. Not much use to you though!

Roger

roger

andrew

Have you asked the marina in question?

If you are a first time buyer, or you dont (want to) know too much about boats, my personal advice would be to buy through a broker. My thinking is that a good broker would not take a bad boat onto his books in the first place. While the same boat might be cheaper sold privately, you are paying for an expert opinion.

I have had a good experience recently with Boatfinder (Michael Knott) and I am sure there are other good brokers out there too.

You say you have your local marina with a few 2nd hand boats for sale with moorings... sounds ideal! Keep looking and if nothing appeals to you, it might be worth waiting for something better to arrive.

Best to look for 8mm bottom and 6mm sides as a minimum hull spec, and a decent engine... other than that, look for the boat that feels right for you (no-one else can help you with that one!) and when you have a specific boat in mind, you can always ask advice on here perhaps someone might be prepared to have a look with you.

If you find a boat which appeals, it might pay to have a look at the spec. for other boats in that price range to see if you are paying the right price.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, a survey is essential. The first step, though, is finding a boat which appeals and at least looks like a good buy.

Yeah, sound about right.

- If your fairly mechanical-minded, you should be able to tell bad from good.

- But its proerbly still worth having a survay done. Bottom thickness, engine/wiring heath check etc.

Have a good read of the many other simular threads as well.

Although, although proberly the biggest forum on the subject, CWF is still not huge compaired to forums you may be used to, computer forums and the like.

- Theres only really a fairly small bunch of regualar posters, and hence we turn over less posts-per-thread then you might be used to if you've come from a larger place. Be patient, as my sister tshirt saids "narrowboaters do it slowly"!

Daniel :blush: