Dutton breach

Timleech

Featured Posts

Hoped for reopening date is now officially May, I was given a handout this morning. Subject to delay by plagues, tempests etc.

The breach was actually on the local BBC TV news this morning, though I'm not quite sure why - there must have been some sort of press release but I don't think they mentioned a date.

Tim

On the news this morning they just reported work starting on it today ....

To be fair, that was probably the gist of the press release, what has been done up to now has been mostly planning and 'infrastructure'.

The Breach diary site has now been updated to include the info.

Tim

there was a 'package' on it on northwest tonight or whatever the local bbc tv evening new programme is called, last night which I happened to catch. mainly pictures of the breach/site and the work going on. One thing i did pick up was the expected 'may opening'

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone else going to the breach viewing day on Friday 22nd February? I was going to say "open day" but it is by invitation and a slot has to be booked if you want to go.

I'm going because I'm interested to see the work and just as interested to see the viewing arrangements, which seem extremely elaborate and organised.

C&RT are using Eventbrite of San Francisco to manage the "event" and initially I imagined a bunch of confused, suited Americans wondering why the crazy Brits wanted to arrange viewing of the filling in of a big hole, but now I see it is just the software that is being used by C&RT.

Is anyone else going to the breach viewing day on Friday 22nd February? I was going to say "open day" but it is by invitation and a slot has to be booked if you want to go.

I'm going because I'm interested to see the work and just as interested to see the viewing arrangements, which seem extremely elaborate and organised.

C&RT are using Eventbrite of San Francisco to manage the "event" and initially I imagined a bunch of confused, suited Americans wondering why the crazy Brits wanted to arrange viewing of the filling in of a big hole, but now I see it is just the software that is being used by C&RT.

It's 'open' in that anyone can book on the Sat & Sun, I think.

See http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/events/2013/02/23/dutton-breach-open-day

It's listed as a 'VIP day' on the Friday, I've booked a slot, maybe the first time I've been identified officially as a VIP ;)

Tim

It's 'open' in that anyone can book on the Sat & Sun, I think.

See http://canalrivertru...breach-open-day

It's listed as a 'VIP day' on the Friday, I've booked a slot, maybe the first time I've been identified officially as a VIP ;)

Tim

I carefully avoided referring to it as a VIP event because I've always felt uneasy about the pomposity of the label.

We visited today. We were told the expected opening of the canal is the end of May. There are to be mooring rings installed along this new stretch and a canal depth of 6 foot will be created. An information board will explain the breach and the new view created across the valley to the Weaver and beyond. The cost at £2.1 million includes a considerable contingency which they hope might be saved if the weather is favourable. The stone to fill the breach alone will cost £300,000. The whole length is to be lined in Bentonite rather than the traditional clay.

The silt from below the breach was being brought up the slope and piled to drain and 'dry' before being eventually reused.

The trees on this banking have reached their maturity now but apparently they are not on C&RT land. Some have blown down recently because of their shallow root balls in the soft soil. It was commented that in many old pictures of canals the trees were kept small and the views seemed much more open and that it was only in the last few decades that the trees etc have been less managed along our waterways.

We had been invited along on the Friday along with others who had donated. It was a little disappointing that the collections bucket wasn't waved a little more vigorously today. We were told that the old BW didn't have the ability to make cash collections and the new Trust has had to make arrangements for cash collection handling at open events. The event was well organised and informative. Plenty of volunteers were there braving the snow flurries. Well done to them for making it run smoothly. It was expected that over 500 people who have booked will turn up to see the work.

P1010149_zpsbef2173e.jpg

Video of the breach. 1.2 mins.

th_P1010147_zps5c789201.jpg

Edited by Peter Corbett
  • Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

The stoppage is still listed as being from Middlewich Big Lock, are there any plans for open the T&M north of this point before the work is completed?

So far as I'm aware, it's open up to Acton Bridge (Bartington Wharf) and has been so for a while.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

That's most useful, many thanks.

I have heard a most dispiriting rumour that the breach now won't be repaired until August! Am afraid to ring CRT, mainly 'cos I don't want to hear any further crap news. Anybody?

I have heard a most dispiriting rumour that the breach now won't be repaired until August! Am afraid to ring CRT, mainly 'cos I don't want to hear any further crap news. Anybody?

That rumour has been around for a while, but late May or June seems to be likely.

Tim

• 5 weeks later...

That rumour has been around for a while, but late May or June seems to be likely.

Tim

Latest news from the Project Manager is that due to the recent dry spell excellent progress has been made and that the canal will be open again in early May.

There will be an announcement soon with a firm opening date.

Steve

Now do I hang about below the breach on the chance they do complete in early may or do I go down the maccy to get through Manchester for my ribble link booking on the 24th may . Decisions decisions

• 2 weeks later...

Very good news.

Between Middlewich Big Lock 75 and Lodge Lane, Bridge 213 Preston Brook

Tuesday 25 September 2012 - Friday 3 May 2013
UPDATE (18 April 2013): We are delighted that the repair work for the breach at Dutton is making excellent progress and we expect the major works to be completed by the end of April.

After re-watering the section and making final checks the canal will reopen to navigation on Friday 3rd May, in time for the Bank Holiday weekend.

• 3 weeks later...