Has it started?

Wrinkley

Featured Posts

Hi Graham

Talk to us!

I’m sending you this email because our records show that you are a regular or occasional user of the canals in our south east region. It’s to invite your comments on proposals for changes to the maximum stay times at 22 of the most popular visitor mooring sites.

Jeff Whyatt, the waterway manager discussed these at his local user group meetings over the past couple of years and Julia Moore helped him with local discussions with representatives of boating organisations. This resulted in a detailed schedule of proposed changes which we would like to start putting in place for April of this year. More recently, our new board of Trustees and the Trust Council considered national policy relating to casual mooring along the towpath and confirmed, amongst other things, the importance of measures to improve compliance with visitor mooring rules.

I hope you will take a few minutes to go to www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/consultations, read the South East Visitor Mooring proposals and send us your feedback using the special form. You have until 1st March to do this.

We cannot easily reach boaters without internet access so would be really grateful if you could help us communicate this message to others you meet over the coming days. We can post out paper copies of the document and feedback form to anyone on request to 03030 404040.

Many thanks and best wishes

Damian Kemp

Boating Communications & Consultations Manager

Canal & River Trust

Is someone able to briefly outline the main changes proposed?

Casp'

At busy/popular sites there will be different zones

One big outer zone - 14 days max

nearer the shops/pubs - shorter times 2days maybe 7days further out

the 14days max will also be in any month

Overstaying will be charged £25 per day, invoiced monthly and if you dont pay in 28 days they will use their normal debt collection methods which may be CCJ

daily visits by boat checkers

There will be a series of leaflets given to you explaining things when you arrive, on your last official day and when you have overstayed

There are various sites listed in the SE

Overstaying will be charged £25 per day, invoiced monthly and if you dont pay in 28 days they will use their normal debt collection methods which may be CCJ

There will be a series of leaflets given to you explaining things when you arrive, on your last official day and when you have overstayed

How long before its no stopping for more than thirty minutes and no returning within two hours. Once we've got used to the concept the screw can be turned.

Excellent. Why didn't the email just say so?!

MtB

Going to require a bit of planning when we cruise as can only reliably move the boat on weekends. Guess its straight to Oxford and onto the Thames the next weekend, risking an overstay near town if its in flood. Nice if you are on hols or retired though. I suspect I'll be paying CRT quite a bit next year.

Edited by oarfish

As long as these proposals are 'policed' properly by CRT then I think its a good change. It will allow folks to make use of those popular moorings rather than people dumping their boats on them for days on end repeatedly.

I have read the consultation document and, surprise, surprise, the scheme bears a remarkable similarity to the suggestions I made a couple of weeks ago. The same suggestions which (some) people on here insisted would make short term moorings into 14 day moorings, and therefore the reason why BW didn't, and CRT would not impliment such a scheme.

How long before its no stopping for more than thirty minutes and no returning within two hours. Once we've got used to the concept the screw can be turned.

Don't know why you're asking me, my crystal ball is broken. If i had to guess i would say 'when hell freezes'. I'd also say that coming up with exaggerated scenarios is silly and unhelpful

Excellent. Why didn't the email just say so?!

MtB

dunno

maybe because when one précis some complicated rules there's always scope for misunderstanding? - eg i missed out that the 2day bit will also be 2 days in a calendar month

maybe because they expect anyone with an interest to read the consultation document? it's only 12 pages and a lot of that is specifics regarding the Thrupp area

it's here SE consultation doc

Going to require a bit of planning when we cruise as can only reliably move the boat on weekends. Guess its straight to Oxford and onto the Thames the next weekend, risking an overstay near town if its in flood. Nice if you are on hols or retired though. I suspect I'll be paying CRT quite a bit next year.

So you wont be able to leave your boat unattended for a week taking up a popular mooring - this may be bad for you but it is a good thing for everyone else

I would have thought that flooding would come under 'reasonable in the circumstances' per the legislation but we shall see.... the doc says 'exceptional circumstances' which is different to me

Just to let you know the river is still in flood at Oxford but also Iffley and Rushy are closed until early March so you will have a limited cruising range.

Don't know why you're asking me, my crystal ball is broken. If i had to guess i would say 'when hell freezes'. I'd also say that coming up with exaggerated scenarios is silly and unhelpful

dunno

maybe because when one précis some complicated rules there's always scope for misunderstanding? - eg i missed out that the 2day bit will also be 2 days in a calendar month

maybe because they expect anyone with an interest to read the consultation document? it's only 12 pages and a lot of that is specifics regarding the Thrupp area

it's here SE consultation doc

So you wont be able to leave your boat unattended for a week taking up a popular mooring - this may be bad for you but it is a good thing for everyone else

I would have thought that flooding would come under 'reasonable in the circumstances' per the legislation but we shall see.... the doc says 'exceptional circumstances' which is different to me

I have raised that point in my reply to the consultation. The more who raise it the better the chances of getting commonsense arrangements put into place for such foreseeable events - that is foreseeable by CaRT, not the individual boater.

I'm fairly sure most of them will survive............ (they may even discover a new pub or two!)

They could try going the other way!....even Mrs TNC is up tp that. :P

• Greenie 1

I thought about that once, albeit briefly - - - he just wasn't my type!

>

>

>

Oh - - that's not what you meant was it? :blush:

I teally kusyt get a new keyboard wiyh the keys in the right placfe! :o

Mrs TNC has got her e-mail from CaRT. She has just made a radical suggestion, that only boats with a hire licence should be exempt.

This all looks like a sledgehammer to crack a nut and I don't like it. Thin end of the wedge and all that. Likely to be a problem for folks with a limited cruising range away from their mooring due to family/work commitments.

Of course the daily mail beige brigade will love it.

This all looks like a sledgehammer to crack a nut and I don't like it. Thin end of the wedge and all that. Likely to be a problem for folks with a limited cruising range away from their mooring due to family/work commitments.

Of course the daily mail beige brigade will love it.

The likely truth is, of course, that the initial changes are most unlikely to be the optimum solution, and will quite possibly be subject to further changes

In my opinion, though, one thing is a racing certainty - that whatever the changes - they will never, ever, meet all the needs of everyone - and if the initial proposals only fail to make the pleasure of "folks with a limited cruising range away from their mooring due to family/work commitments." - I would regard it as an unexpected success

(P.S> - I'm neither beige. nor a reader of the Daily Mail)