Marina decisions!!

Rachyj

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to all this! I'm in the process of having a narrowboat built for me and I'm making some decisions regarding marinas. I live and work in Staffordshire and I'm looking at Aston Marina and Great Heywood, does anyone have any views or experiences of either?? I've always been swayed towards Aston but want to be sure I'm making the right choice. Also once chosen any tips on which berths are better than others??? Any advice gratefully received, Thanks!! :)

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Never moored at Aston, but have visited a few times & like it ---- also a good shop & bistro.

I have moored at Kings Bromley, near Lichfield & liked it there. One tip I would give when choosing a berth, if you will need water during the winter -- try to get a berth close to a tap that is in operation during the winter months.

Best of luck with your new boat.

Thank you for your replies, not quite sure how to reply to you each individually, sorry!

I'm trying to see if I can pay last years prices but that needs to be paid in full, don't think I have enough pennies for that now I'm paying a mortgage too!! Maybe see you there in March Alan!

Hi Tupperware Queen didn't expect to see you on here!

Thanks again, think Astons still winning my vote!

?

We are pretty new at Great Haywood, but have been very impressed; I recently found out that by staying for a year you get a free slip every year, I am having my boat out for blacking at the on site facility and the slipping part of the job was FOC - really impressed. You also have the chance to use the two other marinas in the group - Saul and Tattenhall on a short term basis.

It also gives a choice of 3 immediate cruising routes.

We moved our boat to Aston last Easter, like you we considered both Aston and Great Haywood. We chose Aston really as a gut feeling and haven't regretted it once. It has every facility you can think of on site, it is very well run by helpful friendly people. It is a fairly new marina which is still being improved, in terms of landscaping and updating the already good toilets and shower blocks.

The farm shop is excellent and not that expensive, Bistro is farily expensive but nice for a special meal now and again.

Stone is a couple of minutes by car or a brisk twenty minute walk along the towpath, it has all the basic shops and a good supermarket, that's something Great Haywood lacks, also good pubs and restaurants in Stone.

:cheers:

Ken

I have never moored in either marina; but, reading the reports above, it sounds as if both will make you welcome and you should perhaps make a decision based (at least partly) on which one offers you the better deal.

It appears my decision is made for me as Great Heywood have no space till April and my new home should be ready in March, Aston here I come!

Thanks for your responses, maybe Ill go for Great Haywood next year. Doing all possible overtime in an attempt to take advantage of Astons good deal of last years prices so fingers crossed it will work out the best deal all round!

:)

We've been moored at Aston for 18 months and can't fault it.

Staff can't do enough for you . Shop , bistro ,diesel , pump out, showers and toilets all first class .

If you pay a deposit now you will get last years prices and your mooring term doesn't start until your boat pulls in

Just to add to the recommendations. After seven years mooring up north on the Rufford Arm we pulled in to Aston for a short stay last August. After two days we decided it was for us and our boat is now moored there, for this winter at least. Couldn't agree more with what has been said already, we find everyone very helpful and Stone is an easy walk away. The Bistro is delightful, there is a great selection in the farm shop and our engine servicing was performed as promised. Like all new marina's it is in need of some shelter from trees but that is about the only negative point I can think of.

• 3 months later...

Is hers the 34 foot "Baby Brayzel"? It looks very smart and neatly fitted out.

What kind of stove is that? I've never seen one so wide and flat - unless perhaps the photo has been stretched sideways in some way.

Is hers the 34 foot "Baby Brayzel"? It looks very smart and neatly fitted out.

What kind of stove is that? I've never seen one so wide and flat - unless perhaps the photo has been stretched sideways in some way.

A couple of the photo's on there are 'distorted' width ways.

If you look at the width of the flue it's way wider than normal. Interestingly when you paste the image into here it's no longer distorted.

39.JPG

Tidy little boat though.

Hmmm, Brayzel could be heading for trouble with Trade Descriptions if they grossly distort their photos to make their boats look bigger inside. I notice one cupboard door which looks suspiciously wide, too.

I wonder where Rachy herself has disappeared to? Perhaps she is too busy boating to post on the forum, which is not a bad thing.

Hmmm, Brayzel could be heading for trouble with Trade Descriptions if they grossly distort their photos to make their boats look bigger inside. I notice one cupboard door which looks suspiciously wide, too.

I wonder where Rachy herself has disappeared to? Perhaps she is too busy boating to post on the forum, which is not a bad thing.

I don't think it's intentionally being done, it's just a problem with how their web site is displaying images, this site appears to re-size and display them correctly, there will be a technical explanation that I'm sure a web site designer could provide......

(Though some of the shots make their narrowbeams look like widebeams.....laugh.png .)

Edited by The Dog House

I don't think it's intentionally being done, it's just a problem with how their web site is displaying images, this site appears to re-size and display them correctly, there will be a technical explanation that I'm sure a web site designer could provide......

(Though some of the shots make their narrowbeams look like widebeams.....laugh.png .)

I am not a website designer but it looks as if the page has a fixed size and shape for the picture and it just distorts the photo to fit.

Perhaps the stove was taken portrait and it has been dropped into a landscape shaped "frame".

A couple of the photo's on there are 'distorted' width ways.

If you look at the width of the flue it's way wider than normal. Interestingly when you paste the image into here it's no longer distorted.

39.JPG

Tidy little boat though.

Its barrel distortion due to using a wide angle lens. The same thing happens when you look into the back of a spoon. :)

• 3 months later...

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought I'd let you guys know that I went to visit Rachy and Ickle Brayzel the other day. She is a beautiful boat, and Rachy is very happy. Aston Marina seems like a nice location, and I can recommend the grub on a Tuesday gourmet burger night!

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...