RCR App.

Old Son

Featured Posts

Just has a text from RCR. I can download their app for my iPhone. Cost £5.99!!! Yeah right :angry:

They say Itunes will not allow them to offer free apps unless it is for everyone. There must be a way of offering everyone a free trial which is extended to 'forever' if you add your RCR reference number. If you dont have a reference number either join RCR or pay the £5.99 if you want it.

Android is free of course.

Just has a text from RCR. I can download their app for my iPhone. Cost £5.99!!! Yeah right :angry:

They say Itunes will not allow them to offer free apps unless it is for everyone. There must be a way of offering everyone a free trial which is extended to 'forever' if you add your RCR reference number. If you dont have a reference number either join RCR or pay the £5.99 if you want it.

and it doesn't explain why it's £5.99 and not 99p either.

I'm guessing they can use it to locate you which sounds good if so.

Cheapest app store price is 99p, and there are ways around 'sort of private' apps, have seen them built for the NHS. Sounds like BS to me. They probably just figure iPhone owners are more likely to actually pay (which is true).

Edited by oarfish

Then why does it have to be £5.99 for iPhone/iPad and free for android? As you say, the initial set up could be 99p. I wonder if they could send out an electronic file which members could upload on iPhone? Obviously not because they have not done so.

If this is the e-canal app one region is free but to get it you need to email the developer in Braunston your RCR membership number. He will send you a code that allows you to load it onto your iPhone or iPad free of charge.

I contacted them and they were very helpful. RCR were useless.

Kevin

If this is the e-canal app one region is free but to get it you need to email the developer in Braunston your RCR membership number. He will send you a code that allows you to load it onto your iPhone or iPad free of charge.

I contacted them and they were very helpful. RCR were useless.

Kevin

I just followed the intructions in the RCR email and loaded the app to my Ipad no problem . I then, as RCR suggested, sent an email (can't remember now who to) and got an immediate refund.

haggis

This is what is on the RCR email

If you have an iPhone or iPad you will need to purchase the app from the iTunes website, (search for‘e-canal’ and ‘e-canalmapp’)and then simply contact info@e-canalmapp.co, refunds will be made by BACS transfer - please provide your bank account number and sort code along with your membership number.

So you are correct, I can get it for free if I send somebody I don't know my bank details! Don't think I'll bother.

I've not received any email from RCR, just remembered something being said about it at Crick. I never sent any bank details to anyone. I just contacted ecanal direct and a very nice man there helped.

As I said ecanal sent me a code to enter onto the iTunes site which gave me the Midlands Region Free.

Kevin

unfortunately on the iPhone, its pretty much useless.. you cant zoom in enough to read any of the text or see what bends etc are coming up. I paid the £5.99 price for this poor quality app 6 months or so ago. For free, it might be worth it. If they actually allowed you to zoom in, it might be useful, but no more than google maps or apple maps IMHO.

Stick to your Nicholson guides, and Google maps. Hope RCR didn't waste too much money in this. Would have preferred to spend £5 less on my renewal than get this as a free app. Perhaps with feedback from the boating community they can improve it, but it hasnt happened in the first 12 months its been available.

apologies for grumpiness....

I have downloaded the west of England one (its cheaper, at £4.99. But they will/should refund that).

I'm impressed, but I am viewing on a 10"ipad. I can imagine that on a 4" screen it's just not enough.

But the mapping IS good. I've seen quite a few electronic maps which are quite good but not really good enough to replace Nicholson's. This could do it for me.

This is what is on the RCR email

If you have an iPhone or iPad you will need to purchase the app from the iTunes website, (search for‘e-canal’ and ‘e-canalmapp’)and then simply contact info@e-canalmapp.co, refunds will be made by BACS transfer - please provide your bank account number and sort code along with your membership number.

So you are correct, I can get it for free if I send somebody I don't know my bank details! Don't think I'll bother.

They gave me the option of sending me a cheque for my refund.

Haggis

I have downloaded the west of England one (its cheaper, at £4.99. But they will/should refund that).

I'm impressed, but I am viewing on a 10"ipad. I can imagine that on a 4" screen it's just not enough.

But the mapping IS good. I've seen quite a few electronic maps which are quite good but not really good enough to replace Nicholson's. This could do it for me.

I've tried it on my iPad, but it isnt native - just X2. Its better than iphone, but still cant read road names etc.. Or perhaps I have an old version, and this is a new one? Mine is East Mids map.

Iit has been updated and now runs on both iPhone and iPad.

ah.. my version just works like tyhe iphone one on the iPad.. they must have released a separate version for iPad, as there doesnt seem to be an update. Will email them maybe.