Basingstoke at Easter

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Rather than re type (or even copy) please see this link.

I stress that we haven't confirmed arrangements withe Basingstoke Canal Authority yet but are confident we will very soon. If anyone would like to join us they would be most welcome.

We went as far as the swan on our last trip ,hopefully go all the way this year.

Edited by skeets

We were hoping to do this, but it will now not come off as we are going to Ireland over Easter and after that Mrs TNC is moving NB Earnest up north....well north of Watford (Gap). There is a chance that if the Basy is still open throughout (we have done the Basy three times and always whole length) It could be an April TNC move of NB Earnest via the Thames...with a little off-shoot

This of course depends upon the Thames being passable and the Basy not falling apart. We wait your report with interest.

Just a bit of an update. Following a meeting on Friday we understand that there is no reason why Deepcut will not be open at Easter so we are working on the basis that it will be open. There are three planned cruises as follows:

•  
  • Woodham Junction (River Wey) to Bridge Barn in Woking - Depart Woodham Friday 29-March return Monday 01-April
  • Woodham Junction (River Wey) to Bridge Barn and Brookwood - Depart Woodham Friday 29-March return Monday 01-April
  • Woodham Junction (River Wey) to Bridge Barn, Brookwood and Odiham (King John's Castle) - Depart Woodham Friday 29-March return Sunday 07-April

If you would like to join us please contact me via the Byfleet Boat Club website.

We intend to ask for an appropriate discount for those going to Odiham but we're not sure what amount it will be. We have a meeting with the Canal Authority on 01-Feb - I will update this thread after that meeting with any details I have.

Edited by Leo No2

• 2 weeks later...

We have registered our interest via the Byfleet Boat club "contacts" link and are keeping fingers crossed that Lock 13 issues do not put the kibosh on things.

We have been hoping to do this trip over the past 3 or 4 years but stoppages seem almost alwaysto have been in place to prevent it.M

Mick

I walked the Deepcut Flight this morning (first time for 6 months).

Lovely to see the whole flight (except for one pound) in water again (finally!)

I had stopped walking this stretch as there is nothing more depressing than an empty canal.

Has it been 3 years?

It seems like it.

Anyway it is looking really good!

Only things left to do

-One set of gates half done (awaiting balance beams)

-One set of gates awaited

-One set of gates awaiting paddles

-Several locks only have one ground paddle at the moment

Other than that it is just painting.

Oh yes and an awful lot of dredging and weed cutting (which I suspect won't be done)

I walked the Deepcut Flight this morning (first time for 6 months).

Lovely to see the whole flight (except for one pound) in water again (finally!)

I had stopped walking this stretch as there is nothing more depressing than an empty canal.

Has it been 3 years?

It seems like it.

Anyway it is looking really good!

Only things left to do

-One set of gates half done (awaiting balance beams)

-One set of gates awaited

-One set of gates awaiting paddles

-Several locks only have one ground paddle at the moment

Other than that it is just painting.

Oh yes and an awful lot of dredging and weed cutting (which I suspect won't be done)

Please see this link.. We expect about 30 boats up Deepcut on Easter Sunday (31-March) and down again Friday 05-April - the BCA are looking for help with operating the locks if you are interested in helping. Meeting with Basingstoke Canal Authority on Friday confirmed all work will be completed in time including the uppers and lowers on Lock 13 in Brookwood which were removed on Thursday (see my blog).

Last boat down Deepcut was early June-2008!

Please see this link.. We expect about 30 boats up Deepcut on Easter Sunday (31-March) and down again Friday 05-April - the BCA are looking for help with operating the locks if you are interested in helping. Meeting with Basingstoke Canal Authority on Friday confirmed all work will be completed in time including the uppers and lowers on Lock 13 in Brookwood which were removed on Thursday (see my blog).

Last boat down Deepcut was early June-2008!

It wasn't quite as long ago as 2008.

2008 was the year in which the Navigation Update issued by the Basingstoke Canal Authority on 15th February stated

"Anticipated reopening of the Deepcut Flight will be the end of March ",

and the next Update on 11th April said

"Reopening of this Flight will be in the autumn of 2008 "

In fact it re-opened in May 2009

We went down the flight on 2nd June 2009 and a couple of days later we got a phone call to say

"If you want to come back you had better come back now because we are going to have to close the flight again."

We thought "They are sure to reopen it in the Autumn and we can get back to our mooring then."

But we still have not been able to come back!

I'm afraid our boat is too far away to join you at Easter but I'll certainly try to get along to help with operating the locks.

It wasn't quite as long ago as 2008.

2008 was the year in which the Navigation Update issued by the Basingstoke Canal Authority on 15th February stated

"Anticipated reopening of the Deepcut Flight will be the end of March ",

and the next Update on 11th April said

"Reopening of this Flight will be in the autumn of 2008 "

In fact it re-opened in May 2009

We went down the flight on 2nd June 2009 and a couple of days later we got a phone call to say

"If you want to come back you had better come back now because we are going to have to close the flight again."

We thought "They are sure to reopen it in the Autumn and we can get back to our mooring then."

But we still have not been able to come back!

I'm afraid our boat is too far away to join you at Easter but I'll certainly try to get along to help with operating the locks.

We were rather hoping you were going to come - only discussing it yesterday. Thanks for the update on the year - I find as I get older the years just melt into a distant past! Look forward to meeting you if you can make it.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say bon voyage to all those boats going up the Basingstoke Canal this weekend. I hope the weather stays nice for you. We will be walking the tow path at some stage over the weekend - what a sight it will be!

:cheers:

Jo.

Thought I'd already posted this...

Dear All,

Please be informed that yesterday evening land slippage on the towpath between Chatter Alley and Tundry Pond (opposite Dogmersfield Wall) was discovered. The length affected is approximatley 40 metres. The towpath has been temporarily shut and navigation will be temporarily closed in that area pending investigation.

The Geo technical engineer from Hampshire County Council is investigating the site with high priority and further notices will be sent out at each stage.

Many thanks

Rachael Thomas

Senior Administration Officer

Sorry guys...

Dear All,

The land slippage at Dogmersfield is continuing to move causing concern over structural safety of the cutting, towpath and navigation. Following advice from structural and geo technical engineers, Senior Management have concluded that the towpath and navigation will remain closed until further notice. The situation will be monitored daily.

Kind regards

Rachael Thomas

Senior Administration Officer