which magazine

shellfishb5

Featured Posts

i am new to this forum and nbs, have managed to get hold of a couple of books from the library to read to try and learn more i have scoured the web and bought a couple of monthly mags,

waterways world

canal boat and inland waterways

is there any other mags worth reading and overall which is the most informative for the newcomer.

regards

andy

i am new to this forum and nbs, have managed to get hold of a couple of books from the library to read to try and learn more i have scoured the web and bought a couple of monthly mags,

waterways world

canal boat and inland waterways

is there any other mags worth reading and overall which is the most informative for the newcomer.

regards

andy

The only other "glossy" I know of is Canal & Rivers Magazine, which started life as Canal and Riverboat. It is a shadow of the other two with many irritating errors in it. WW is the market leader, although Canal Boat is coming up on the rails. There is newspaper tabliod size called Towpath Talk which is now free again after a short time as a paid for paper, all of them are available at boatyards and chandlers and SOME ( very few) newsagents.

Tony :lol:

edit: typo outed

Edited by tony collins

Andy

I was a convert to Canal Boat, but the latest issue of WW has won me back I think. I think I'll be buying both in future. There are LOTS of ads in WW though, but sometimes they're useful too. Canal Boat has really good pictures, and is nice and glossy.

Never read Inland Waterways. Read one copy of Canals and Rivers (or other way around?), and thought it was very Daily Mail - lots of whinging letters etc. Not my cup of tea.

Neil.

Towpath talk is free again now is it?

- that was a quick little venture then wasnt it!!

Ive actally never come across it.

- I hadnt heard about it at all till ai heard about it on here a year or twoago, and despight looking out for it, still havnt ever found it!

- A bit worrying really, considering ive been boating for 15years, and activivly seaking it for the last 18months!

Daniel

Towpath Talk actually started of on a very local scale in the East Yorkshire area 2 or 3 years ago, but the management were trying to expand their territory. I wrote a couple of articles for them at one time but lost touch after it seemed to change hands a couple of times, as it appears, has happened again.

I get Waterways World and Canal Canal Boat but I am thinking of cancelling one of them. The problem is that they are so similar in style its difficult to decide which to stay with, both seem to fall over themselves to tow the official line on all matters and are excessively deferential when it comes to BW and their advertisers. If there was a magazine that would make a bit a stand now and then I would be the first to throw my hat in with them. I do get fed up with reading very bland user reports on £100K + boats.

Towpath talk is free again now is it?

- that was a quick little venture then wasnt it!!

Ive actally never come across it.

- I hadnt heard about it at all till ai heard about it on here a year or twoago, and despight looking out for it, still havnt ever found it!

- A bit worrying really, considering ive been boating for 15years, and activivly seaking it for the last 18months!

Daniel

Hi Daniel

You can see it online for free though I think they don't have the very latest issue always available, just up to the previous one. Latest edition online is Issue 7 whilst 8 is out on paper.

http://www.towpathtalk.co.uk/index.html

Look down the right hand side for the heading Past Issues.

It's a big file of 12MB to download the whole thing so for people that may have a problem with that they offer also individual page downloads. However that feature appears not to be working right now.

I think it's a decent publication and though it has a lot of ads, which it needs in order to survive, I find a lot of those quite interesting.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

...... If there was a magazine that would make a bit a stand now and then I would be the first to throw my hat in with them.......

The editorial team of "Canals and Rivers" do not seem to hold very much regard for BW. Some of their articles are refreshingly confrontational.

There is newspaper tabliod size called Towpath Talk which is now free again after a short time as a paid for paper, all of them are available at boatyards and chandlers and SOME ( very few) newsagents.

Maybe you can get it free, at some outlets, but our local W H Smiths still have it on sale.

Personally I'd not fork out for what I've seen of recent editions.

AS for t the "glossies" - they will carry far more cred with me when they concentrate less on boats in the £100K range, (and then some, in too many cases......).

Particularly pointless, (in my view, I admit), was the review in a recent WW of a butty style boat principally for residential use, but which could to some extent self power itself via a hydraulic driven prop concealed in a tradtional butty style rudder.

The actual price tag not admitted to, but I suspect most of us would want two, three or four boats for what this one cost.

The only real things that I pulled from it was that with it's hydraulic system it was significantly noisier than had it used a well cocooned conventional engine. And that it really wasn't prictical at all for anything other than short journeys. (Yes, honestly....)

(My apologies to the proud owners if they are on this forum!....)

I think they'd do better using the space publishing Moley's exploits of refitting an older boat - there must be far more people who might feel the urge to do that, than have (say) over £150K to spend on a boat of a highly unusual spec, that can't be seriously cruised.

Maybe you can get it free, at some outlets, but our local W H Smiths still have it on sale.

I have in my sweaty little fist three issues date 1st June, 13 July and 3rd of August all with FREE printed on the cover. The next issue is due 24th August

So my guess is that it is indeed free, I certainly didn't pay for them.

I would be surprised if it is free in some outlets and paid for in others - there is no cover price shown.

I have in my sweaty little fist three issues date 1st June, 13 July and 3rd of August all with FREE printed on the cover. The next issue is due 24th August

So my guess is that it is indeed free, I certainly didn't pay for them.

I would be surprised if it is free in some outlets and paid for in others - there is no cover price shown.

Tony,

I'll try to look and see what the situation is in WHS when I'm next passing, but it was the Hemel Hempstead branch I saw it this week, and I'm not sure when I'll next be there.

I assumed it was current, but didn't look at it closely enough to read a publication date or price.

Very curious, as I doubt either that Smith's are distributing them for free, or that what's on the shelf pre-dates 1st June :lol:

Moreover, their web-site lists free distributors in some areas, (though not in mine), but there are links on their web-site, where you can subscribe for postal copies, (£1-65 single issue, or £18 for 17 issues).

Link to towpath talk ordering

I find their approach quite mind-boggling.

Edited by alan_fincher

I suppose it depends on what you want from your magazine.

If you're looking for a new boat then WW has been known to criticise the boat it is reviewing (august 1989 I believe); though they all mistake nail guns and plywood for craftmanship.

Canal boat and inland waterways seems glossier and it's photographs are of a higher quality. I'm not sure the others actually employ a photographer, just give their 'reviewers' a tesco value disposable camera.

Canal and Rivers would benefit from being softer and more absorbent.

Personally, being interested mainly in historic boats, wooden specifically, I subscribe to Classic Boat. It tends to deal with real boats rather than the floating bathtubs we call home, but it does deal with the boats rather than the bonnets and braces. The inland mags contribution to the historic boat scene belongs more in 'morris dancers monthly' than a serious boating magazine. Thumbs up to ww's 'carrying news though.

Oh and Canal Boat & IW is the only inland magazine that hasn't insulted me or my boats so I must declare a bias. It's still rubbish, mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Tony,

I'll try to look and see what the situation is in WHS when I'm next passing, but it was the Hemel Hempstead branch I saw it this week, and I'm not sure when I'll next be there.

I assumed it was current, but didn't look at it closely enough to read a publication date or price.

Very curious, as I doubt either that Smith's are distributing them for free, or that what's on the shelf pre-dates 1st June :angry:

Moreover, their web-site lists free distributors in some areas, (though not in mine), but there are links on their web-site, where you can subscribe for postal copies, (£1-65 single issue, or £18 for 17 issues).

Link to towpath talk ordering

I find their approach quite mind-boggling.

Further to previous discussion on this, I can confirm WH Smith is SELLING Towpath Talk.

So it may be free some places, but not here, (Hemel Hempstead, I saw it).

It was the current edition, I saw, with the Emily Anne bit that Daniel has just posted about.

Alan

By the way Daniel, did you see the large picture of Emily Anne in the latest edition of Towpath Talk (at the IWA Diamond Jubilee Event)?

Ben

Yeah, its goo isnt it!

It slightly embaresing, as its clear suppost to be a "overall photo of the workingboats jetty"

- We're not obvously eather a workingboat, or historic, but being that more more bright/colourfull/slabside than the others, it just looks like a photo of us. :angry:

Ah well, there are 2/3 other working boat photos in there, they can get over it! We rock!

Danel