Right or left handed propellor identification...

boatymum

Featured Posts

The nice thing is that apparently the engine sounds wonderful. Unfortunately this is going to be hugely expensive to put right. Apparently the boat has to be lifted out of the water again which involves full crane costs plus labour. That blows the entire budget for any windows. We shall have to paint them on!!!

Could you perhaps not leave your wrong handed propellor on for the mo, get everything else sorted, and then get a tow to the nearest reasonably priced dry-dock?

Good luck.

It seems a shame that you have no come-back, apparently, on the seller of the engine who, (if I have understood correctly!), told you you needed the opposite prop to what you actually did.

Hopefully if it is brand new, and of a spec that is nott too out of the ordinary, you may be able to sell it on, and recoup a fair amount of the original cost.

Nice idea, but cannot afford any more mooring or docking fees as well. It will have to be sorted sooner or later, so maybe better to do whilst there is still any budget left. We won't be able to save it up again. As long as there is a floor and a heater then the rest can be gathered gently. It is always amazing what people throw away. My brother has oodles of bits and pieces. He isn't a newbie at boats, only me.

I don't think these boys are in the rip off game. They are real boatys. If they can restore their own to such beauty then I trust them implicitly.

The prop is a 17" with a 12" pitch. I'm not sure if the shaft is 1.25" or 1.5". I am checking that now. I shall ask what the taper is too. I don't know that.

I don't think these boys are in the rip off game. They are real boatys. If they can restore their own to such beauty then I trust them implicitly.

The prop is a 17" with a 12" pitch. I'm not sure if the shaft is 1.25" or 1.5". I am checking that now. I shall ask what the taper is too. I don't know that.

Taper will almost certainly be 1:12, though there are other possibilities.

A prop for an SR2 Lister should be about right.

Tim

You (and Bizzard) are getting confused.

DSC01173.jpg

Richard

Yes and no.

I understand what's been said.

My concern was that it might be possible to end up with a bastard combination of engine, gearbox and prop whereby the boat goes forwards with the gearbox running in reverse as the default.

But if forward on the control is always true forward gear on the box then that particular concern can be ignored, and figuring the rest out is a lot simpler.

I havé a 19 x 12 LH for a 1.5" shaft. Second hand in good nick. I didn't say they were rip-offs I just said there are cheap ways of solving your problem.

I only meant it flippantly. I will go off and check the shaft diameter. Thank you for that offer. I will check with the marina peeps and may be back for that.

I had no idea that there was such a learning curve to have about what I thought was a simple prop.......!

Could you perhaps not leave your wrong handed propellor on for the mo, get everything else sorted, and then get a tow to the nearest reasonably priced dry-dock?

If you do then for goodness sake do not drive the boat with it unless you are going backwards. It certainly looks like a BMC B type box and the lubrication of the reverse sun gears is in my view marginal to say the least.

Don`t dismiss the idea of changing the prop through the weed hatch, I`ve done it a couple of times - it should come off ok as its only just gone on, be v. careful the key doesn`t drop out, turn the rudder sideways and the prop will probably come away, beware of frostbite or find a fellow boater who looks poor and hungry and give him a bit of cash to do it. Where are you?

Well we may just have to stomach the cost this time. It is blooming cold. The boat has to be out of the marina very soon. We are already over our original agreement of the 6th and can only stay because we are now customers. Happily though, the licence plates came today so the boat is free to roam now. Happy days.

It doesn't have to cost £499 docking charges. I changed the prop twice on Aldebaran, costing me £100 each time for the crane.

And another idea not yet suggested. As the engine bod has 'another similar engine', and Tim points out this is probably the other one of a pair, how about asking the engine bod if you can swap gearboxes with it? The other gearbox of the pair will almost certainly spin the propshaft clockwise. And after all, you can point out he caused the problem by giving you you the bum steer on the rotation direction in the first place.

MtB

Wow.... I would never have guessed in a million years that there was so much to all this propellor malarkey. Thank you for that suggestion, however the gears of motion are all set in position now and a l/h prop is already coming to the marina fellows via the person who originally supplied the r/h one and all the stern gear. I have told the marina guys that there is another engine the same and they are very knowledgeable about Petters so they could easily decide to do that. I will re-mention it in case. This monty python episode will come to an end soon. The true joy is that the engine is a real dream in the most immaculate working order. My brother is really delighted with it and this prop problem will be a distant memory halfway through next week.... I hope.... I can't tell you how lovely it has been to find this forum and to know how many experienced boaty people really find the time to care for newbs, however daft the question. A big thank you to you all.