Egyptian NB

Ray T

Featured Posts

Sorry I can only manage Linear B laugh.gif

To slightly mis-quote Mr Shakespeare "'Tis all Greek to me". :rolleyes:

CASSIUS: Did Cicero say any thing?

CASCA: Ay, he spoke Greek.

CASSIUS: To what effect?

CASCA: Nay, an I tell you that, I'll ne'er look you i' the face again: but those that understood him smiled at one another and shook their heads; but, for mine own part, it was Greek to me. I could tell you more news too: Marullus and Flavius, for pulling scarfs off Caesar's images, are put to silence. Fare you well. There was more foolery yet, if I could remember it.

We've seen NB Klingon .... written in Klingon! :P

If you could see the hieroglyphics properly, you could translate fairly easily because each stands for a letter AFAIK

Edited by Jo_

I haven't got the Rosetta Stone to hand, but as I understand it most heiroglyphs relate to a phonetic with the exception of special symbols and cartouches which normally relate to rulers or deities.

A google will probably bring up a translation table - I've got one in a book somewhere but can't remember where it is.

Hence those tourist shops in Egypt that claim to write your name in heiroglyphs.

You get a similar thing in China where people will write your name in chinese characters which also represent sounds. My son got his own and his partner's done and also one for his friend back home. Unfortunately for the friend it actually says something very rude - he keeps hoping he will bring home a Chinese girl one day...

It reads Nefertiti

Edited to add, anyone prove otherwise ?

Not proof, but no Nefertiti on Jim Sheads list! nor does it correspond with the hieroglyph for Nefertiti, according to the Wikis.

So, the hunt continues.............

Oh dear, I was really, really hoping that someone would deal with this one. Please someone?

(Goes off to find hierogyphics books)

OK, no cartouche (sort of a frame), which I believe shows that it is not the name of a pharaoh. (or it could be a mistake, I seen some dreadful ‘Welsh’ translations).

Next, it may not be simply the 'letters'. Hieroglyphics included letters as well as symbols giving other information.

Edited by Catrin

I can't find anything useful in the guide book that I bought on my Egyptian holidays, or the wall chart that I brought back. But then they both only have the letter-by-letter system of conversion.

Perhaps it has to be read differently. As the first character is an ANKH, perhaps it's a phrase about anchoring?

OK (you can tell I have no idea what I'm doing here). The first symbol is an ankh, which symbolises life, but, it sometimes appears with two other symbols, and means the same thing (or at least, this is my thrashing around in the dark interpretation). Those two symbols are N and KH, which just happen to be the wiggly line (water) and the disc, next to the ankh - so is this (ankh + N + KH) or just (ankh)?

Actually, I'm now having difficulty in reading the next letter - it's a bird of some sort, but it's very pixellated when enlarged. I think it's M, but it could be A.

Or, I now discover, it could be a plural marker, depending upon whether it is something that looks like a raven (A), an owl (M) or a chick (could be U, or W, or a plural)

I haven't got the Rosetta Stone to hand, but as I understand it most heiroglyphs relate to a phonetic with the exception of special symbols and cartouches which normally relate to rulers or deities.

A google will probably bring up a translation table - I've got one in a book somewhere but can't remember where it is.

Hence those tourist shops in Egypt that claim to write your name in heiroglyphs.

You get a similar thing in China where people will write your name in chinese characters which also represent sounds. My son got his own and his partner's done and also one for his friend back home. Unfortunately for the friend it actually says something very rude - he keeps hoping he will bring home a Chinese girl one day...

That's true many are phonetic symbols but special more pictorial symbols are not confined to rulers or names of gods they can be more mundane such as types of animals or basic general items eg a symbol for a bird can be used rather than spelling the word for bird our using the phonetic symbols each time.

Finally, and then I'm going to give up, because the image is too blurred to make any real sense of the letters. The letters can be read in any direction.

Left to right:

Ankh (life) + N + KH (or these could just be part of the ankh)

then what I think is a chick (U, W or plural marker)

then - no idea, neither of my books mention it, I can't make it out, some kind of pylon?

something that looks like a hawk or a raven (A)

Next one, too blurred

I think the one after that is S (folded cloth)

Finally we've got N (zig-zag line) again, and B (leg).

Any of these combined could have other associations - there are reasons it took so long to decipher the Rosetta Stone.

A quick flick through the reasonably long lists of names and titles in one of my books doesn't show anything like it.

So, I give up. Any egyptologists want to show me how it is really done?

OK (you can tell I have no idea what I'm doing here). The first symbol is an ankh, which symbolises life, but, it sometimes appears with two other symbols, and means the same thing (or at least, this is my thrashing around in the dark interpretation). Those two symbols are N and KH, which just happen to be the wiggly line (water) and the disc, next to the ankh - so is this (ankh + N + KH) or just (ankh)?

Actually, I'm now having difficulty in reading the next letter - it's a bird of some sort, but it's very pixellated when enlarged. I think it's M, but it could be A.

Or, I now discover, it could be a plural marker, depending upon whether it is something that looks like a raven (A), an owl (M) or a chick (could be U, or W, or a plural)

the bird symbol looks like the one that represents "WO" The other bird looks like the Vulture symbol which can represent an "A"

Finally, and then I'm going to give up, because the image is too blurred to make any real sense of the letters. The letters can be read in any direction.

Left to right:

Ankh (life) + N + KH (or these could just be part of the ankh)

then what I think is a chick (U, W or plural marker)

then - no idea, neither of my books mention it, I can't make it out, some kind of pylon?

something that looks like a hawk or a raven (A)

Next one, too blurred

I think the one after that is S (folded cloth)

Finally we've got N (zig-zag line) again, and B (leg).

Any of these combined could have other associations - there are reasons it took so long to decipher the Rosetta Stone.

A quick flick through the reasonably long lists of names and titles in one of my books doesn't show anything like it.

So, I give up. Any egyptologists want to show me how it is really done?

It can be written in both direction but can this looks to be left to right as the birds look to the left which should mean the direction it should be read from.

The larger picture confirms some of the symbols to me, but I still can't identify the one that looks like a pylon or the Eiffel Tower, nor can I find anything that looks like the long vertical rectangle. It may be something that can be read vertically, or horizontally, in which case it is just possible that it is a SH.

It can be written in both direction but can this looks to be left to right as the birds look to the left which should mean the direction it should be read from.

That's sort of what I assumed, but the leg symbol points the other way.

the second symbol looks like a combination of "rippled water" or "n" and the symbol for the god RA. No idea what that means though. The last symbol is another combination of the same water symbol and the foot or "B" the symbol that looks like a paper clip is "folded cloth" or "S"

Anyway, I give up now. I guess it's either someone who knows what they are doing, and has named it after some obscure official of Upper Egypt, or someone who made it up from a list of hieroglyphs that they got somehere.

I don't believe it's anything obvious, like Cleopatra, or Ptolomy, or something similar - but I wait to be proven wrong.

• Greenie 1