George Clarkes Amazing spaces

Max Sinclair

Featured Posts

Last nights show on Channel 4 showed the fit out of a narrowboat, the clip started with Pathe news film from the 60s

showing the 1962 Stourbridge Rally (was it really 50 years ago)

The canal section begins with George Andrews Staffs & Worcs Chairman on Romulus and ends with Peter and Val Packwood and family on the lovely Spitfire. In the middle Jocelyn and Max Sinclair do a bit of polishing on Vesta which opened the canal in October 1961

Edited by Max Sinclair

What a strange programme. The camera work was awful. All depth of field blurry artistic nonsense, so you couldn't really see the finished efforts.

Didn't like his fitout, the bed looked very uncomfortable. Not like ours. *smug*

And his caravan? OK if you like sleeping in coffins I guess.

Didn't like the programme's peculiar implication that people only live on boats because they can't afford property, and that they want to live really cheaply (did I miss something?? My mooring fee is 4 times my mortgage), nor the way George kept referring to it as a "tiny, tiny space", a term I notice he didn't use when talking about how "utterly, utterly brilliant and just so, so cool" squishing his family of 5 into 9 foot square space in his caravan was. In summary, a load of old sh*t.

:captain:

Didn't like the programme's peculiar implication that people only live on boats because they can't afford property, and that they want to live really cheaply (did I miss something?? My mooring fee is 4 times my mortgage), nor the way George kept referring to it as a "tiny, tiny space", a term I notice he didn't use when talking about how "utterly, utterly brilliant and just so, so cool" squishing his family of 5 into 9 foot square space in his caravan was. In summary, a load of old sh*t.

:captain:

I thought this too, why all this reference to a tiny space in a fifty-odd foot narrowboat. I seem to have more room on my boat than I do in my house.

I haven't seen this episode yet. I've watched the first three episodes on 4od and have found them interesting and entertaining. I like the innovative approach and imaginative use of space on many of the projects.

I had a little bet with myself before opening this thread though, predicting that the reaction on this forum would be entirely negative and humorless in the way it always is when ever anything to do with canals is featured on any kind of mass media, especially when something out of the traditional norm is suggested.

You didn't dissapoint

• Greenie 2

Not just me that was disappointed then. His budget was way ahead of mine and yea apart from the desk not really impressed. I find George to be a bit disingenuous. I like that word. I was hoping to get some good ideas but kitchen sink, no, bathroom, no. I shall continue to peruse the net then..

I haven't seen this episode yet. I've watched the first three episodes on 4od and have found them interesting and entertaining. I like the innovative approach and imaginative use of space on many of the projects.

I had a little bet with myself before opening this thread though, predicting that the reaction on this forum would be entirely negative and humorless in the way it always is when ever anything to do with canals is featured on any kind of mass media, especially when something out of the traditional norm is suggested.

You didn't dissapoint

George Clark is a pretentious tosser, be he in a caravan, on a boat, or taking a sh*t in a log cabin in the woods. Nowt to do with canals.

I too thought the narrowboat feature was rather naff, but what really upset me was that in the previous week's prog when he was saying what would be on next weeks' he referred to it as a barge !! :o :o :o

Then on the introduction he called it a longboat, but from then on it was always a narrowboat. He got ther in the end I suppose :rolleyes:

I thought the multi-functional Bournemouth beach hut was the best and most innovative of all the things he featured in the series.

I gave up trying. I clicked on the link and endured no fewer tan seven adverts (for some reason the time line which you can advance to look at later parts of the programme disappears when the adverts are on). When they ended I advanced the time line to 16 minutes as recommended, to be confronted with....seven more adverts! I suppose there were bits of programme in between the commercials but i could not be bothered waiting for them.

I gave up trying. I clicked on the link and endured no fewer tan seven adverts (for some reason the time line which you can advance to look at later parts of the programme disappears when the adverts are on). When they ended I advanced the time line to 16 minutes as recommended, to be confronted with....seven more adverts! I suppose there were bits of programme in between the commercials but i could not be bothered waiting for them.

Well said Athy the advertisements were a real pain.

How weird I'm not getting any ads at all...

I just slide the control to 16 minutes in and can jump straight to the start of the bit about the boats - it's at the start of part 2.

Maybe he should have nipped round and had a word with Deans, he has made good use of space for sleeping a lot of people in a small space. http://widebeamsailaway.blogspot.com/

Yep. I have fitted 3 kids (all with full size mattresses from IKEA), in a space that is 3.5m long, and 2,2m wide (passage is .6m wide which runs down the side). The 2 older kids have a desk in their cabin, a shelf full of games, and a PC. They each have 2 guitars hanging off the wall, a waste bin, a flip down shoe holder thing, clothes stored in boxes under the beds, a TV. The younger has a bunk bed with shelves, his own tv, a dvd player, a WII game, XBox, and a guitar. They seem to enjoy their spaces....so it's been a great success from a design on paper...to an actual build. Not finished though...lots of trimmings needed.

Edited by DeanS