Canalside litterpicks or cleanups being organised.

Justin Smith

Featured Posts

Can I be the first to publicise a litter pick !

The biannual litter pick on the Tinsley Canal is on the Sundays after the clocks go forward in March and October. Meet at Tinsley Marina (at the end of Lock House Walk off Shepcote Lane) at 10.00AM. "Litter pickers" are provided as are gloves if required. Any questions please contact Mavis Paul, landline 0114 2683927, mobile 07725 464611 or by email mavis.brian_paul@btinternet.com.

Tea and hot pies (including veggie alternative) provided afterwards !

2014`s Spring litter pick isn`t on the "normal" date (when the clocks go forward), it`s on the 13th of April. The Autumn one is on the 26th Oct.

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday 27th & Monday 28th April in Berkhamsted - Friends of the Rising Sun and Lock 55 Grand Union Canal

Timings still to be finalised but likely to be 10am - 2pm on Sunday and 3 - 7pm on Monday. Sunday involves a litter pick from the pub down to Bank Mill Bridge along with some light vegetation management and prepping the lock gates and furniture for painting and hopefully painting the offside bollards and some of the lock furniture and gates. Monday will be finishining off painting including the towpath side gates and furniture. I don't see why we can't plant wild flower seeds in the verges too below the lock too but I'll check with the Trust first. All welcome. Senisible clothing that you don't find getting dirty or getting covered in paint advised. Gloves and small gardening hand tools such as hand forks, trowels and secatures a good idea for gardening type tasks.

• 4 months later...

Friends of Slough Canal are organising a mini litter pick and general cut back of growth prior to planting flowers and things. Meet at Bridge 8 and work towards bridge 7. Wear workish clothes and tools will be provided. Be prompt at 1030hrs for safety briefing. 2 hours max. I'm at Hemel Hempstead so unfortunately will not be there.

D

• 4 weeks later...

Been off the grid for a week or so but back now.

Had a busy but enjoyable day on the C&RT work boat 'Stour' stripping brambles, weeds and litter from around some of the narrow bridges on the Dudley no.s 1 & 2 canals plus a bit of floating litter picking...

4B0A381E-8982-49F5-9497-1EEB5484718E_zps

I'm off up to Tipton to do it again a fortnight Saturday.

Lee.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late notice, only just joined the forum, but there's a canal clean up taking place this weekend, 22nd and 23rd November 2014, on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal around Bournville, just south of Birmingham. It is being organised by IWA Birmingham, Black Country & Worcestershire Branch and supported by CRT with workboat, etc. All welcome. See https://www.waterways.org.uk/iwa/calendar/event/view?id=1506

Is there a minimum age for these clean ups? I'd like to help on Sunday but have my eight year old son with me at weekends. He's good at litter picking, we do it wherever we're moored and it'd be nice to get him into bigger projects if it's allowed. Obviously I'd take full responsibility for him.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Steve how are you? Yeah some of them were CRT bags but I ran out and had to get more in Sainsbury's

Maffi

I am fine and we are still in the North West and moored near Lymm. Fingers crossed we could be heading south in 2016 after SWMBO retires late next year.

Steve

• 8 months later...

Rishton, near Blackburn on the Leeds & Liverpool canal. Bridge 108a, next to the café.

Sunday 23rd August 2015, 1pm till 4pm. CRT workboat on site to take the rubbish away.

So anyone who thinks Rishton and Blackburn need tidying up can help make it better!

End: auto correct town name!

Edited by TheBiscuits

I joined this group recently to help out......

https://www.facebook.com/littleboroughadoptacanal

We were having a go near lock 47 (Durn),

Apart from me they were non-boaters (and ours is not in the UK), just locals trying to improve their environment.

They are a friendly bunch who have made a real difference. Thank you and good on you.

• 1 year later...

There is a clean up of the Soar around the Outdoor Pursuit Centre of Friday 3rd March from 1to4pm.

More info on their website https://www.lopc.co.uk/

This is part of the Great British Springclean weekend http://www.greatbritishspringclean.org.uk/home/2684

Cleanups are organised on a regular basis by the LOPC. Last Saturday 23 bags of rubbish and one safe were collected. They do a great job helping to keep clean a fairly grotty bit of river.