Canalside litterpicks or cleanups being organised.

Justin Smith

Featured Posts

Please publicise any of your canal "litterpicks" or clean ups on here.

Going on a litter pick can be a bit depressing seeing just how much rubbish is dropped by ignorants, but it`s also very satisfying to know you`ve done "your bit".

Let`s all try and get our waterways as nice as they can possibly be !

Edited by Justin Smith

Can I be the first to publicise a litter pick !

The biannual litter pick on the Tinsley Canal is on the Sundays after the clocks go forward in March and October. Meet at Tinsley Marina (at the end of Lock House Walk off Shepcote Lane) at 10.00AM. "Litter pickers" are provided as are gloves if required. Any questions please contact Mavis Paul, landline 0114 2683927, mobile 07725 464611 or by email mavis.brian_paul@btinternet.com.

Tea and hot pies (including veggie alternative) provided afterwards !

Edited by Justin Smith

A group of liveaboard boaters is organisng a towpath tidy this Saturday 10th November. Please meet at Dundas wharf at 9.45am for a 10am start. The Kennet and Avon Canal Trust volunteers are also helping with this, and we will be using their work boat Vale of Pewsey to load and move the rubbish. Bring warm clothes, and work gloves if you have them - we have some gloves to lend as well. Rubbish bags will be provided.

This Saturday.nine thirty am meet at St Mary's marina in Rufford for a tidy up at Lathom top lock area.

Bugger! I have just read this too late. Do you know who organised it so I may get involved on a future one?

Thanks.

Carl Hamilton, on nb Rebecca at St Mary's organises things here. The next one is next Sat i believe at the same time. Hmmm..what is the forum protocol of getting his phone number and email address to you?

Thanks. Could you pm me a phone number?

This coming Saturday, the 17th, the Rufford Branch volunteers are meeting at St Mary's marina at 9.30am. Come along and join in. You will be made very welcome. Equipment is supplied. Last weekend a happy band made excellent progress tidying up around Lathom top lock. Even if you can only come for an hour or so it would be great.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

There will be a towpath tidy on Saturday 26th January between Widbrook and Hilperton, organised by boaters with help from the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust's workboat crew. Please join us! Please bring a wheelbarrow if possible!

Meet at 10.15am at the Beehive bridge, Frome Road, Bradford on Avon (bridge 170). We will start at 10.30 from the Beehive. Bin bags, gloves and park keepers' 'grabbers' will be provided. Please bring warm clothes and sturdy footwear. The Vale of Pewsey workboat will be available for part of the day to move the rubbish. If you have a wheelbarrow, please bring it to help shift the bags onto the boat.

For more information, or to let us know you want to take part, please ring or text 07928 078208, or email info@boatingcommunity.org.uk

Cancelled CRT have been in touch and due to the conditions on the ground and the forecast of more snow this has been cancelled but hopeful to be rescheduled in the near future.

TOWPATH TASK FORCE MANCHESTER - WORKING PARTY - 26/01/13 FAIRFIELD TOP LOCK 10.00

This working party is to clear that annoying obstruction below Fairfield Top lock, Droylsden that anyone with a big boat must have got stuck on quite regularly. It has been checked with CRT and it is all on at the moment but should the weather become a problem we should know something on Friday. check on http://www.facebook.com/penninewaterways

We need a good turnout for this one so PLEASE COME!!

Edited by Ian Mac

Rufford Volunteers

Rufford Branch of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal

Saturday 9th February

Work to clear ivy vegetation from the bridges and lock tidy at a couple of locks on the branch.

Everyone welcome. Warm clothes!

Meet 9.30 am in the car park at St. Mary's Marina, Diamond Jubilee Road, Rufford, L40 1TD

For further details tel Ellie on 07928 890 539

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dates for the Leicester litter pick for the year are as follows:-

· Saturday March 23rd 1:30pm to 4:30pm

· Saturday April 27th 1:30pm to 4:30pm

· Saturday May 25th 1:30pm to 4:30pm

· Sunday June 23rd 9:30am to 12:30pm

· Wednesday July 24th 6:00pm to 8:00pm

· Saturday August 24th 1:30pm to 4:30pm

These are arranged by the Leicester Outdoor Pursuit Centre. Contact them if you are going to help. David Robinson <si(at)lopc.co.uk>

I've travelled canals from Middlewich to Little Venice, and I've never seen anything, remotely, to match up to the sea of junk I've come across over the last few days while journeying from Kensal Green, in west London, to Cowley, near Slough. There's loads in the canal and on the edge, with refuse sacks full of the stuff on the bank waiting to spill out into the canal. Some businesses on industrial estates really warrant complaining about to the council. Much of this stretch, despite proximity to London, is an attractive wilderness, and it's a terrible shame. If anyone wants to organise anything around this area I would definitely be interested in participating, though for now I'm having to head northward towards Ricky.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Final Leicester clean up of the year

October’s Canoe Litter Pick is just around the corner. Saturday 19th October, 1:30pm to 4:00pm at the Outdoor Pursuit Centre Loughborough Road. Contact the OPC beforehand if you are going to go and help.

Friends of the Slough Arm GUC are having a general litter pick, tidy up and growth cut back on Tuesday next week (15th October) at the Stoke Road basin. Starts at 1030 and finishes at 1530. Anyone welcome, wear work clothes and bring a packed lunch.

See you all there!!!

• 1 month later...

Friends of the Slough Arm GUC are having a mini litter pick, tidy up and growth cut back on Sunday this week (1st December)) at Bridge 7, Langley Road. Starts at 1030. Anyone welcome, wear work clothes and all tools supplied.

See you all there!!!