Diesel Heater - Discuss!

RichardH

Featured Posts

I've been living aboard for 3 years on a 60ft with 5x rads and calorifier. We have a Mikuni MX40 which is approximately 12(?) years old since it came with the boat. It is our main source of heat (acting as our central heating) along with a wood stove. It is kept pretty busy and uses a stat and timer (again pre-installed) and I make sure it doesn't cycle down too much due to the previous statements about coking up.

We have had a huge number of problems with it. Initially the whole cylinder warped beyond recognition (previous bad maintenance), the fan broke last year, and every year the glow plug breaks (coil just snaps). In fact this happened yesterday (anyone in the Nottingham area with a suitable glow plug - we are currently very cold and would love to hear from you!).

We've considered a hurricane but space could be an issue (and the price tag). I think we'd go for a hurricane if we ever went bespoke or serious refit.

Harry

PS seriously anyone know where we can get hold of an MX40 glow plug near Nottingham?

I have a MX40 in Comet 70ft. had it for sixteen years not many problems since the early days, leave it on for long periods is the best way, not lots of short cycles. I remove the glow plug burner boss and use a gas blow lamp to heat up gauze then use a round wire brush to remove any carbon. do not forget to clean out the hole that lets the fuel dribble into the gauze.

I have a hurricane that has now done 7,000 hrs without any problems except compressor that has now been rectified. I service it twice a year, it takes 1hr max. It heats my 57 x 10 wide beam very fast. Would recommend it to anyone.

We've got a Webasto Thermo 90S 9.1kW heater on a 55ft boat, as fitted when we bought it 5 years ago. While it seems over-specified it is worth noting that the 90S minimum running is 1.8kW (0.19 l/h) whereas the more commonly used Webasto Thermotop C minimum is 2.6kW (0.30 l/h).

I don't know if this is a factor in why we've had no problems with it so far. Not being livaboard, it also only gets used at the beginning and end of the season and for warming it up when I'm working on it over the winter. The 9kW certainly gets the radiators hot in no time! A bit noisy though! :angry:

I've had my MX60 on my 57x11 barge for 3 years now. Wouldn't have anything else. The parts are cheaper than the Webasto/Eber and servicing is simple. Annual service consists of a new glow plug, de-coke the wick and that's about it. I wouldn't use the thermostat/timer that Mikuni offer - the thermostat will cycle the boiler too much and that will cause problems. I have a simple 12v timer to switch it on/off twice a day and thermostatic rad valves on 5 rads, a towel rail (standard valves) and a pipe 'loop' in the wardrobe to act as a heat sink and keep the clothes aired. Running costs work out at around 1/2Ltr an hour (45p).

I've had my MX60 on my 57x11 barge for 3 years now. Wouldn't have anything else. The parts are cheaper than the Webasto/Eber and servicing is simple. Annual service consists of a new glow plug, de-coke the wick and that's about it. I wouldn't use the thermostat/timer that Mikuni offer - the thermostat will cycle the boiler too much and that will cause problems. I have a simple 12v timer to switch it on/off twice a day and thermostatic rad valves on 5 rads, a towel rail (standard valves) and a pipe 'loop' in the wardrobe to act as a heat sink and keep the clothes aired. Running costs work out at around 1/2Ltr an hour (45p).

MY GOD !!! that works out at about £70 A WEEK. I'm definitely sticking with my solid fuel Rayburn oven & backboiler

MY GOD !!! that works out at about £70 A WEEK. I'm definitely sticking with my solid fuel Rayburn oven & backboiler

If you ran your 7kw solid fuel fire on full for 24/7 it would cost roughly the same, but you don't, same way you don't run a diesel heater full blast 24/7.

If you ran your 7kw solid fuel fire on full for 24/7 it would cost roughly the same, but you don't, same way you don't run a diesel heater full blast 24/7.

1 tonne hardwood logs £55 7 tonnes a year £385 this gives heating, cooking, and hot water. average shore power when connected £5.00 per week annual total if was connected all the time £260.....total for year £645 includes washing machine/drier dishwasher microwave/electric stove when too warm for Rayburn, Boat size 90 tons Thames......I repeat I'm sticking with my Rayburn.

1 tonne hardwood logs £55 7 tonnes a year £385 this gives heating, cooking, and hot water. average shore power when connected £5.00 per week annual total if was connected all the time £260.....total for year £645 includes washing machine/drier dishwasher microwave/electric stove when too warm for Rayburn, Boat size 90 tons Thames......I repeat I'm sticking with my Rayburn.

Hi john

You are of course quite right, there simply is NO ALTERNATIVE to real liveaboard comfort other than some form of wood/coal/multi fuel stove. None of the diesel types wether forced or drip fed can compete. That is why quite often on this forum we see various diesel heating systems seconhand for sale and hardly ever see secondhand multi fuel stoves for sale. However I confess they do have their uses early/late winter and very usefull for quick tank of hot water. We use our webasto quite often for water if in a hurry but if one form of cabin heating had to go it would not be the solid fuel stove they are simply invaluable. :cheers:

Tim

Some time ago on our local tv news an article was aired about folk with oil fired agas etc swopping them out for solid fuel models. The solid fuel merchants were quite enthusiastic.

When I changed my Squirrel for a diesel bubble stove I pretty much tripled my heating costs. Won't be doing that again. Now we have solid fuel in the house and on the boat. Wood can be free and scrap wood is plentiful in our neck of the woods.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Webasto, had it 4.5 years. It had a spate of stopping, which seemed to be fixed by treating it to some white diesel. Then I fitted a fuel filter (sold by Webasto) and it now runs fine. This MAY have been due to better fuel at the marina, I just don't know.

The heating is on for about 8 hours/day at most in winter so that works out at about £25/week. In summer it's only used for heating the calorifier - an hour or so. So that's about £3/week tops. There are days when the heating is on for less time. All in all I spend about £600 a year on diesel for the heating which I don't think is too bad compared to the £1200/year electric bill for my 1 bed flat! I know people who are spending £20/week on coal. So in that scenario, it works out reasonably competitively.

It realy comes down to what you want - I like the convenience of the Mikuni especially the fact that I can time it to come on and go off when I want - I never come back to or get up in a cold boat. In summer, I'm only heating the hot water and if there is a chill, I can put the heating on for an hour or so if needed. Can't do that with a stove! It also helped that I can buy a Mikuni and the parts for sevicing at great discount through my business so it didn't cost much more than a decent stove!

If you're able/happy to run a stove on 'free' wood then that will obviously save a lot of money and there are other benefits to having a stove such as helping with condensation, boling a kettle on it etc. As many have said before, a diesel heater and a stove is without doubt the best option and I keep thinking I'll fit a stove at some point, just haven't got around to it yet and I'm not convinced that I can be bothered with cleaning the thing out, the dust and loosing the space that it will take up.

The heating is on for about 8 hours/day at most in winter ...........

My heating is on 24/7 in winter, there is always someone on board

.......It realy comes down to what you want - I like the convenience of the Mikuni .......

That's fine provided you are prepared to accept that it costs you

.......If you're able/happy to run a stove on 'free' wood then that will obviously save a lot of money.........

Where did free wood come into my figures?

........... I'm not convinced that I can be bothered with cleaning the thing out, the dust and loosing the space that it will take up.

You might be pleasantly supprised how little you need to clean out a stove that is designed for wood only (no grid, no ash pan you just dig it out about every 2 or 3 months when the ash gets to the bottom of the door) The dust is minimal with wood except for when cleaning out the ash, you learn to work slowly and carefully.

wood is only free if you collect it, saw it and chop it. This way would obviously out way the cost of running a diesel fire. I think i will stay in the warm why others do the work. Down side of a wood burning stove i have to shut the windows when on the wrong side of a boat fitted with one, they stink !

I'm currently considering fitting a diesel heater just to heat the calorifier no rads. Am I buying a whole lot of trouble by doing so, that's the impression I get from reading various threads on here.

Reason I ask is I can get my hands on an erber 5 trade price via work.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's better to keep running the engine for hot water

I do not get a smell of diesel neither do i get tar running down the side of the boat like most boats with wood burners.

[/quote

Tar running down the side of the boat is usually due to those who ARE using free wood (or from a wood dealer who is ripping them off) Well cured hardwood and a double skin on the outside chimney stops that. Ill accept that running a diesel stove on good grade clean diesel is usually odourless....ok? :rolleyes:

You will need rads to act as a heat leak otherwise the eber will shut down before the water is hot, unless of course you have a calorifier that ignores the rules of physics

Our thermo top c 5 kw is plumbed into a

70 odd litre single coil calorifier a heater matrix and the engine, works a treat probably isn't the most economical set up but the engine acts as a lovely heatsink and is always warm on first start up.

Our thermo top c 5 kw is plumbed into a

70 odd litre single coil calorifier a heater matrix and the engine, works a treat probably isn't the most economical set up but the engine acts as a lovely heatsink and is always warm on first start up.

Thats another way to make it work, must make starting the engine on a cold day a doddle.

• Greenie 1

Thats another way to make it work, must make starting the engine on a cold day a doddle.

as you say starting on a cold day, or any day for that matter is a doddle

we have a MOWOG bmc 1500, quite an early lump. it was subject to a fairly extensive rebuild a couple of years ago, the cam, followers and push rods were about the only thing that didnt get attention. the old girl is treated rather well these days, lovely warm starts that require no pre heating. i usually fire the heater up upon arrival at boat, let it get some warmth in it whilst loading gear, making beds etc.

while the webasto is working the heater plugs are likely to last a long time indeed. our thermo top has been great, it is run on derv supplied from its own dedicated tank, although not used daily it is used frequently for hot water generation, even through the summer, and for the hot starting benefit, diesel is cheap in my mind and the benefits far outweigh the cost of the small amount of fuel the thermo top uses.