Travel Pack Brushes

oasistoo

Featured Posts

Has anyone sourced brushes for a 3KW travel pack

Thanks in advance

I think they are based on a standard/modified Bosch alternator, so shouldn't be too hard to find from an auto electrical repair shop.

I've no idea whether these are the right ones. Might be worth a question to the vendor.

Tim

I think they are based on a standard/modified Bosch alternator, so shouldn't be too hard to find from an auto electrical repair shop.

I've no idea whether these are the right ones. Might be worth a question to the vendor.

Tim

Thanks Tim Well Spotted

I spoke to Cox's recently about Travelpower brushes.

They obviously have a vested interest but suggested that if the brushes are worn then the commutator is often also warn and poor contact can destroy a transistor in the control box. Have a good look at the commutator and if its not perfect send the whole lot to Cox's.

I think Cox's are telling the truth as when I looked a mine the commutator did show obvious signs of wear

Also if the hours are high then its worth getting the bearings replaced before they fail. This really does happen and causes the rotor to hit the stator, and although Cox can still sort it out it does cost a bit. I speak here from a recent financially painful experience.

...........Dave

I spoke to Cox's recently about Travelpower brushes.

They obviously have a vested interest but suggested that if the brushes are worn then the commutator is often also warn and poor contact can destroy a transistor in the control box. Have a good look at the commutator and if its not perfect send the whole lot to Cox's.

I think Cox's are telling the truth as when I looked a mine the commutator did show obvious signs of wear

Also if the hours are high then its worth getting the bearings replaced before they fail. This really does happen and causes the rotor to hit the stator, and although Cox can still sort it out it does cost a bit. I speak here from a recent financially painful experience.

...........Dave

Probably why the same vendor is offering a kit which include bearings and slip rings. It might be Coxs, I think they're in a similar part of the world.

[pedant] Altenators don't have commutators, they have slip rings. Dynamos have commutators, they're the ones with a load of discrete copper bars which transfer the current to different sections of the windings as the rotor turns[/pedant]

Tim

Probably why the same vendor is offering a kit which include bearings and slip rings. It might be Coxs, I think they're in a similar part of the world.

[pedant] Altenators don't have commutators, they have slip rings. Dynamos have commutators, they're the ones with a load of discrete copper bars which transfer the current to different sections of the windings as the rotor turns[/pedant]

Tim

Oops, thats a slip of the brain and showing my age, and certainly can't blame that one on the spell checker.

Not pedantic at all, its pretty fundamental; in fact I believe it was the commutator that was the limiting factor in dynamamo performance as it limited the maximum speed, and so the main gain with an alternator is the higher speed that can be achieved with slip rings, rather than the move to an "AC" machine.

It is also possible to get a brushless alternator which uses an additional winding to transfer power to the rotor.

I doubt if it is Cox's selling these parts on eBay, I think they charge £50 for the brush set!

............Dave

Oops, thats a slip of the brain and showing my age, and certainly can't blame that one on the spell checker.

Not pedantic at all, its pretty fundamental; in fact I believe it was the commutator that was the limiting factor in dynamamo performance as it limited the maximum speed, and so the main gain with an alternator is the higher speed that can be achieved with slip rings, rather than the move to an "AC" machine.

It is also possible to get a brushless alternator which uses an additional winding to transfer power to the rotor.

I doubt if it is Cox's selling these parts on eBay, I think they charge £50 for the brush set!

............Dave

And will not sell them! My unit is in otherwise good condition so happy after doing the diagnosis checks in the manual and inspecting the brushes that that is the issue!

I have also purchased the other kit against a rainy day!

And will not sell them! My unit is in otherwise good condition so happy after doing the diagnosis checks in the manual and inspecting the brushes that that is the issue!

I have also purchased the other kit against a rainy day!

I reckon that 6000+ hours is when the bearings might be ready to fail, so it would be a good idea to routinely replace them at this point.

Ours started to make a gentle intermittent hiss, nothing like a bearing screech, so I thought it was the brushes. I have known new brushes to "sing" a bit so I thought maybe very worn ones could be wobbling about and hissing.

I was of course wrong, it was the bearing, and just a few hours later it failed spectacularly.

Its also worth cleaning all the crap out of both the generator and the control box. For those who are not technical Coxs will do a routine inspection and clean.

(I am not connected with Cox's but was very impressed by their Travelpower expertise)

.........Dave