Washing Machine

marcus

Featured Posts

I’m sure that this has probably been done before but here it is anyway.

I need to change our washing machine which normally runs from a generator (5kw) Im looking for reports from other forum users who run a full size washing machine from a generator as to what make and model they have that works well without stalling due to sensitive electronics.

(I understand the issues, thyristors etc etc - I just want info on actual recent makes and models that folk have good experience with on generators please)

Many thanks

Edited by marcus

I run my Zanussi ZWC1300 from a Honda EU30i when away from shore power for any length of time. The washing machine is never quite sure about the generator. Sometimes it starts straight away, while other times I have to wait for an hour while it decides whether it will accept the power from the generator. The Honda EU range is supposed to put out a purer sine wave than the mains and I never got to the bottom of why I sometimes get this delay and sometimes I don't - even Gibbo didn't understand it.

We have one from this company, http://www.cda.eu/Home it came with the boat.

Works fine with the on-board 7Kva generator.

Whichever you go for, check energy rating, energy consumption and water consumption.

I think the last one is probably the most important when out cruising.

Edited by bottle

google says:

Energy Consumption (kwh/cycle - wash)1.25Annual Energy Consumption224Water Consumption (litres/cycle - wash)55Moisture Content After Spin (% dry load)60Water Consumption (litres/year)9600Cold FillYesStainless Steel DrumYesElectrical Supply (volts)220-240Rated Loads (watts)2150Weight (kg) (packed)74Weight (kg) (unpacked)72Dimensions (HxWxD) cm (packed)89x65x48Dimensions (HxWxD) cm (unpacked)85x60x40Noise dBA (spin)75Nois dBA (washing)58

So the inverter must be in the region 3000 watts

google says:

Energy Consumption (kwh/cycle - wash)1.25Annual Energy Consumption224Water Consumption (litres/cycle - wash)55Moisture Content After Spin (% dry load)60Water Consumption (litres/year)9600Cold FillYesStainless Steel DrumYesElectrical Supply (volts)220-240Rated Loads (watts)2150Weight (kg) (packed)74Weight (kg) (unpacked)72Dimensions (HxWxD) cm (packed)89x65x48Dimensions (HxWxD) cm (unpacked)85x60x40Noise dBA (spin)75Nois dBA (washing)58

So the inverter must be in the region 3000 watts

Hmm, still looking for one that will work off a Victron 2kw.

Edited by rgreg

I had to upgrade my inverter to a 3000w phoenix to be able to use our washing machine which is a Zanussi ZWC1300w. I can now complete a 60 degree wash when engine is running without any issues. The newer ZWC1301 is supposed to be better but both machines are small (3kg load) and blooming expensive.

We have a budget Indesit full sized cold fill only machine (£179), it is filled via a thermostatic mixing valve set to 42degC. The machine is set to a 40degC wash and the machine is fed from our 3000W pure sine wave inverter (had to upgrade from the old Sterling Quasi unit as it would not work).

We only put the washer on when we have been traveling for an hour or so so we have hot water, the battery meter shows that the batteries are hardly troubled during the wash cycle. Also as the clothes are rinsed and the spun from warm water they come out of the machine warm and drying is much quicker.

Thank you - this is all very useful

we have a newish hotpoint aquarius washer drier,works fine from the honda eu2.0,although we try not too use the drier unless desperate because of the time taken and fuel needed.

Thank you - Do you have a model number?

Our Candy GOFS272 works fine from our Honda EU20i, and off our Victron inverter with the engine running. Bought 3 months ago.

That's what we have but it won't run off our inverter. It runs ok off the 6.5 kva genny. I don't think it's anything to do with the output of the inverter because it won't even let the pump work at the start of the wash. It's a right pain because we can't do a wash on the move.

Steve P.

We have a Candy GOFS262 running off a Hyundai 3kVA. Done over 20 loads now and it runs just fine. As we have chines, the 400mm depth means it slots in very well.

Total power is in region of 2.2kw, of which some 1.8kw is for the heating bit.

That's what we have but it won't run off our inverter. It runs ok off the 6.5 kva genny. I don't think it's anything to do with the output of the inverter because it won't even let the pump work at the start of the wash. It's a right pain because we can't do a wash on the move.

Steve P.

what generator do you have please?

Sounds like you have a modified sine wave inverter, modern electronics in w/machines usually require a pure sine wave, even to run the pump.

Yes I agree.

Several generators (especially little ones) are actually low voltage alternators and invertor combinations to deliver a PCB controlled output, hence some petrol ‘hand bag’ generators are more useful if less rugged and durable than big diesels. We have a 6kw diesel unit aboard. Hence my enquiry about the make of the 6.5 kva unit mentioned in the post above.

Yes I agree.

Several generators (especially little ones) are actually low voltage alternators and invertor combinations to deliver a PCB controlled output, hence some petrol ‘hand bag’ generators are more useful if less rugged and durable than big diesels. We have a 6kw diesel unit aboard. Hence my enquiry about the make of the 6.5 kva unit mentioned in the post above.

Sorry, crossed wires, I was answering fudd's post.