heating for nb

shellfishb5

Featured Posts

which is the best heating system for nb to run central heating

regards

andy

hi andy

you have a few choices and they depend on the size of your boat, convience required,availability of the differing fuels in your area, and cost. the choices are solid fuel like coal and wood, which are bulky and dirty to clean up after use, they can also be sods to get going sometimes, next is gas which is quick to get going but will liberate vast quantities of water as condensation and if the equipment is not kept in good condition it could kill you, and lastly diesel, a little smelly in its raw state but in the right heating or cooking equipment and for my money possibly the best, but as with everything its down to choice and cost.

Hi Andy,

I would reccomend a system such as a Webasto,costs around a grand for the marine version,easy to fit,and cheap to run.I installed mine in my 55' trad,connecting it up through a twin coil calorifier,(too heat my hot water)with a tap to isolate the radiators.Good system,can give you more info if you want it.All the best .Marc

herbie wrote.

next is gas which is quick to get going but will liberate vast quantities of water as condensation and if the equipment is not kept in good condition it could kill you,

Not doubting your post in anyway herbie, I am just curious as we have an Alde gas boiler. When you say vast quantities of condensation from gas, what do you mean and more specifically from where?

In answer to shellfishb5, I'm not sure there is "a best" system, they probably all warm the boat when working properly. That said, many people say they've had problems with oil boilers, whereas gas ones are thirsty, but reliable. I reckon its a matter of personal choice.

I am curious what the running cost differences between oil and gas will be when we have to use white diesel. (for those who only have one tank).

next is gas which is quick to get going but will liberate vast quantities of water as condensation and if the equipment is not kept in good condition it could kill you,

Any gas based heater that you have been able to fit on a canal boat for use has to be "room sealed" / "balanced flue", meaning it draws air from outside, and all its exhast is pumped back outside.

So it should not be putting condensation in your boat.

Fitting of non room sealed gas heaters has not been permitted for ages.

(I must admit though that back in the 1970s, I thought nothing of running one of those big heaters that had a butane cylinder in it's back in the boat cabin where I slept. Fortunately the boat must have been well ventilated, or I'd not now be writing this! And I wondered why it was always damp!!.....)

By the way, a decent well installed coal fired or wood burning (or multifuel) stove should not be hard to light. Keeping them in all night, without them turning into a blast furnace, is a bit harder, but many do it with the right fuels.

By the way, a decent well installed coal fired or wood burning (or multifuel) stove should not be hard to light. Keeping them in all night, without them turning into a blast furnace, is a bit harder, but many do it with the right fuels.

Hi guys...

Wonder if anyone here would care to share their experiences of multi-fuel stoves?

Which are the best makes? And does having one with a back boiler really make sense if you have an erb or webasto?

Also be interested if anyone has experiences of ducted air heating...

Many thanks

Allan

Hi guys...

<snip>

Also be interested if anyone has experiences of ducted air heating...

Many thanks

Allan

I put a propex 1.8KW on my 25 foot boat.

It is very effective at heating but is a bit noisy.

I didn't buy it from the boating world, I got about a hundred off by getting it from a campervan outlet. I reckon they got propex to post it straight to me, and it had the right marine flue.

Cheers

Graham

For simplicity and reliability I favour an Alde gas CH system with a Squirrel solid fuel stove. The squirrel is easy to light, easy to keep in overnight and easily regulated. The Alde is reliable, very quiet (unlike most diesel heaters) and safe. With a twin coil calorifier it can be used to quickly provide a source of hot water if you haven't been cruising.

Whilst diesel heaters are currently cheaper to run, this will not be the case if they have to be run on white diesel. Red will still be available and legal, but it will require 1) that you have a seperate tank and 2) you will have to find a source and carry the fuel back in jerry cans as it is unlikely that most of the current diesel suppliers will install a second supply tank.

Whilst diesel heaters are currently cheaper to run, this will not be the case if they have to be run on white diesel.

Red will still be available and legal, but it will require 1) that you have a seperate tank and 2) you will have to find a source and carry the fuel back in jerry cans

--> as it is unlikely that most of the current diesel suppliers will install a second supply tank. <--

Interesting thought Dor...

I have just posted a topic asking if i should consider a second tank at the build stage

I wonder if any of the current suppliers who read this forum would like to comment on whether they will be selling both

Allan

Interesting thought Dor...

I have just posted a topic asking if i should consider a second tank at the build stage

I wonder if any of the current suppliers who read this forum would like to comment on whether they will be selling both

Allan

Trad stern boats could come into their own here. With the traditional day tank/main tank setup. I only ever use my day tank (about a weeks steady boating) but once I'm at the stage of installing heating (oil fired rayburn current favorite), the huge main tank will be ideal. As for filling up, if enough people run two tanks then the yards will sell both types of fuel. Otherwise most fuel oil suppliers would be happy to meet you at a convenient spot to transfer from tanker to boat.

Hi guys...

Wonder if anyone here would care to share their experiences of multi-fuel stoves?

Allan

Hi Allan, I have a Morso Squirrell and have found it very efficient indeed. I asked several boaters about their experience with various stoves, and the Squirrell came top - I adore mine, it is neat and does the job perfectly. It is as easy to adjust as a gas fire as it is air tight with two air adjusters - one on the door to the main fire, and one to the box controlling the airflow underneath the fire. I'd definately have another one.

I don't have a back boiler nor any other heating, so I can't comment on those aspects.

herbie wrote.

Not doubting your post in anyway herbie, I am just curious as we have an Alde gas boiler. When you say vast quantities of condensation from gas, what do you mean and more specifically from where?

In answer to shellfishb5, I'm not sure there is "a best" system, they probably all warm the boat when working properly. That said, many people say they've had problems with oil boilers, whereas gas ones are thirsty, but reliable. I reckon its a matter of personal choice.

I am curious what the running cost differences between oil and gas will be when we have to use white diesel. (for those who only have one tank).

ok on reflection i recon your right, perhaps saying vast quantities was wrong, my boat is 62 ft and i have a morso in the front cabin and an aldi placed midships that does water and heating, its working perfectly but i just feel there is more condensation on inner cold surfaces than t think is good, i also find it slow to get the rads up to temp in the winter, i am considering replacing the morso with a diesel heater and replacing the gas cooker and hob with diesel units, they would be fed from what is now the gas locker which i would turn into a diesel tank using the existing gas pipe to deliver the diesel to a small header tank above and behind the cooker, i have also considered removing the aldi and replacind it with a diesel fired unit for hot water and heating, at the moment its all just on paper i have a lot more looking and asking to do yet, and at my last BSS examination the examiner said gas free boats were safer , although that was only his point of view

No problem herbie2

It sounds like you have a lot of work and expense ahead of you. :o

I don't doubt gas free may be safer, but personally I don't think a properly installed and maintained gas installation is dangerous anyway.

I have a similar set up to you with an Alde and a little Wenlock stove, prefering to have two different sources of heating, in case one fails.

Do a search and ask questions about oil cookers before you decide, some people aren't that impressed with some of them ;)