18. Landywood No 3 Colliery
  19. Pool Hayes Colliery
  20. Essington Wood Colliery
  21. Essington Farm Colliery
  22. Struggling Monkey Colliery

Ray Shill

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

This topic hss been quiet for some time....

David have you had the opportunity to visit the Gloucs museum to see the plans of the pump/valve house yet?

You also mentioned you had the chance to purchase them once - are they still available to buy?

CRT have moved the records at Gloucester to Ellesmere Port. The reference may be traceable on line though.

Regarding the image of the Gilpins Arm, I assume that it is in the Newlands Colliery area, or was it across the main road on the Common where it terminated.

Ray Shill

It says the photo has been retouched, from the reflections in the water I think it may be around the gates and beams area the retouching has taken place. In the series tagged Sneyd there is a shot of the canalside cottages on the towpath side, first time Ive seen them standing

It says the photo has been retouched, from the reflections in the water I think it may be around the gates and beams area the retouching has taken place. In the series tagged Sneyd there is a shot of the canalside cottages on the towpath side, first time Ive seen them standing

Negative fade badly corrected in the lock mouth, don't know why they bothered. All the paddle gear is intact on the lock so this would indicate the flight was still usable.

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update regarding the Pumping Station at Sneyd Reservoir...

I visited family down in Devon last week and was speaking to somebody whom used live on the Mossley Estate and vividly remembered the canal and reservoir circa 1950's/1960's.

We got chatting about the locks and the landmarks that have made this stretch of the W&E so mysterious. We quickly got onto the subject of the Pumping Station and it was a complete surprise when I was told that there was much more to the building back in the mid/late 50's through to the early 60's.

I was told that the building looked more like an house and had walls coming off the main back wall we have seen in the earlier picture posted here on the forums. This would make sense as the picture posted here reveals several little notches and holes where there would have quite rightly been partitioning walls coming forward. I was also told that that there were several arch shapes that looked like they could have been fireplaces.

Sadly there were no photographs to back this up but I was told that they knew the residents in the nearby houses (which are still near to the road on Vernon Way - I think there are two; white in render colour) and would have definitely had photographs of the area. Not entirely sure these residents would be living here now though.

One last discussion raised the subject of Sneyd House (the old BCN offices). The person told me that they once found some letters in the derelict building which were addressed to a woman and made references to meeting up somewhere (basically love letters) - again sadly, they never kept them.

It was an interesting conversation and good to hear that the Pumping Station could be remembered in a much different way than I can remember in the 1980's.

David.

Edited by MrDGWalters

When following the subject of branch canals, the Anglesey Branch deserves a mention. It was originally made as a feeder from the reservoir, but was not made wide enough for boat traffic. It was reconstructed to serve the Cannock Chase Collieries. This work involved straightening and part of the feeder course was different from the branch canal when built.

When following the subject of branch canals, the Anglesey Branch deserves a mention. It was originally made as a feeder from the reservoir, but was not made wide enough for boat traffic. It was reconstructed to serve the Cannock Chase Collieries. This work involved straightening and part of the feeder course was different from the branch canal when built.

Something to have a look on Google Earth for

Richard

Hope you dont mind TB these bring back so many memories I have to comment on a few

I have scanned a few more shots that were taken of the Sneyd Branch when I visited in March 1984.

Sneyd%20Junction%2027-3-84_zpsplav8zpp.j

^^ It was from here a few years earlier Len Wilson took a load of us school kids for a trip on USK and left me steering when he found out who I was. scared isnt the word.

Sneyd%20Locks%20%2027-3-84%202_zpsojluyc

^^ this open cast mine towered over my school days and the guy living in this house didnt like kids anywhere near his land, which was a magnet for us of course. The canal was like this all the way round to Broad Lane. Except for the length of Vernon way which was paved it could have been filled with water and back in use.

Sneyd%20Locks%20%2027-3-84%201%20_zpsjlj

^^ this was the top lock and what we walked past every day to get to school, as you can imagine jumping it was a test of youth, pre Sneyd school being built there was some sort of wooden footbridge across the top of the lock which led to Sneyd house as we called it, and the dare was to head down into the cellar and touch the back wall. Not good when it was filled with rubbish and ankle deep water.

Wyrley%20branch%20looking%20w%20from%20S

^^ Abbey junior school in the background, this looks like the works to culvert the whole length from by the school up to Broad lane, up til then you really could see the towpath and bed of the canal in full profile when dry.

Wyrley%20branch%20looking%20sw%20from%20

^^ this is the view from Broad Lane down the canal behind my mates houses, the tree in the distance used to have a rope swing on it which we would spend hours on happily swinging above old cookers, fridges and all sorts of dumped rubbish. Didnt affect the wildlife at all, caught so may frogs and newts in this canal you wouldnt believe, they couldnt fill it in these days as there was a massive colony of great crested newts in it.

Sneyd%20Branch%2027-3-84%203_zpsfztllvlr

The other side of Broad Lane now, walk under the bridge and cross the bed of the cut and there was a motocross circuit we could sneak into by the big jump.

Sneyd%20Branch%2027-3-84%204_zpsh4zoxomp

^^ this is the other side of the bridge looking towards the coal loading station for the railway, huge dumper trucks would transport the coal across Broad Lane and into this huge thing which would load the wagons for taking it on to power stations in Rugeley I think.

Thanks for that blast from the past really enjoyed those photos.clapping.gif

Hope you dont mind TB these bring back so many memories I have to comment on a few

Thanks for that blast from the past really enjoyed those photos.clapping.gif

The view of the bridge is taken from the far side towards the opencast and looking back towards Broad Lane. I then turned around to take the shot looking towards the fence and the opencast. At the time British Rail was replacing the bridge and had already lifted in a new span on the other side. Below is the view from the Broad Lane side.

Sneyd%20Branch%2027-3-84%202_zpsglo656hj

And the three images that were linked to on Flickr.

Sneyd%20locks%20bottom%20lock%20SJ984019

Sneyd%20locks%20top%20lock%20SJ983025%20

Wyrley%20branch%20looking%20n%20from%20S

Thanks for relating your discussions David and for the pictures Tarboat

Just changing tack slightly, whilst perusing the Essington Branch locks on the 1883 OS map I noticed the word 'magazine' - presumably associated with the nearby coal shafts....?

Can anyone enlighten/educate me?

Magazine_zps2g9mpqf7.jpg