Coventry Victor cooling options

Kieron G

Featured Posts

Vixen006_zpsc723db6f.jpg

Have eventually managed to get this Coventry victor engine and gearbox aligned and running using a temporary cooling loop with water from the bilges. I'm not to sure which permanent cooling solution to go for. The original raw water cooling, Install a heat exchanger and an extra circulation pump off the alteranator vee belt or keel cooling. Any guidence or suggestions appreceated.

Hello,

Nice engine,what hp and rpm is it?

I have keel cooling on my boat(bolinder1052).

I have 10meters of 3/4 steel pipe under the boat,two 2,5 meter pipes on each side of the keel,i use steel as it takes some abuse.

I actually have problems to keep the temperature up?!?

Cheers

Christian

Hi Christian, I think the Vixen is around 25hp although i can't remember where i got that information. As for RPM, it sounds very low, in fact waching the prop going around when it's in gear i'm wondering if the 2:1 reduction is too much. 17 inch is the largest prop i can fit in to clear the skeg. The steel pipes sound like a good idea, would the standard Jabsco pump cope with circulating the water that distance do you think?. The hull has quite a deep vee under the floor and i was thinking of sealing this and using it as a tank but i don't want to corrode the hull from the inside. Do you think that the rubber impeller in the pump be ok with antifreeze. What type of boat do you have and have you chosen keel cooling because you use it in salt water? Many thanks, Kieron.

The Jabsco pump on my engine seems to do the job OK.

Maybe there is to much flow but it works and i havent seen any cracks i n the impeller.

The reason for keel coling is that i wanted antifreze and a simple system.

The Bolinder is 23 hp and 1500rpm and a 2:1 gearbox,my propeller is a 22".

I´ll take some pictures of the cooling this afternoon.

This boat has been used to tow timber on small rivers and lakes,i´m not sure what this type of boat is called in english.

R0010972.jpg

R0010970.jpg

Here are a picture of the plumbing under the boat.

There are similar on the starbord side and as you can see on the other picture there is a loop between port and starbord to connect them.

Water in to the engine is on the starbord side,to the pump and then engine and exthaust,out from engine to portside pipeunder the boat and back in the boat(loop),out on the starbord side,under the boat and then back in and to the pump. :o:lol::huh:

R0010980.jpg

Its an old boat built in 1935,bougth as a bare hull christmas 2011!

New aft and stern and shortened 1 meter :o to get good proportions.

I´m going to keep it open the first time i have thougth of making it look like small tugboat.

Enough hijacking of your topic.

varpbt_6.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

Edited by BM 1051

Looks like you've been seriously busy. Do you know her history?. You should put an entry into the boatbuilding and maintenance section, a lot of people who would be interested in your project will miss it under this heading. Thanks for taking the time to explain how your cooling system works. Much appreciated.

Yes,i have been pretty busy...........

I know that it have been in comersial work with a 10hp Seffle hot bulb engine to early sixties then became a "leasure"boat,early seventies engine swap to a aircooled lister or Petter and havent been in the water since late seventies.

I´m not much of a writer especially not in english. :blush: and its not a narrowboat.

Tell us more about your engine and boat!

Did some Google seach but did not find much on the engine(Kind of like it,odd engine).

:cheers:

The boat is apparently from a scrap yard near the Welsh / Gloustershire border brought up to Wakefield ( West Yorkshire )where my Girlfriend bought her off ebay as a lined out shell. The engine was going to be fitted into a narrowboat, but this was sold as a residential mooring in London so wasn't required and sold seperately. I have found out from 'Marine Engine Database' that the Vixen HDW (W for watercooled) should be 27hp at 2500 RPM. Information on these engines is limited but if you search 'Coventry victor' on this heading there is a fair amount from other site users when i first bought her and was trying to source a gearbox. Your English is better than a lot of English residents so don't think about that.

Vixen006_zpsc723db6f.jpg

Have eventually managed to get this Coventry victor engine and gearbox aligned and running using a temporary cooling loop with water from the bilges. I'm not to sure which permanent cooling solution to go for. The original raw water cooling, Install a heat exchanger and an extra circulation pump off the alteranator vee belt or keel cooling. Any guidence or suggestions appreceated.

Like the flat twin, loverly.

Yep, we're well pleased with this engine, runs really well ( havent tested her under load yet ) but sounds great, not too loud ( Apparently the aircooled version is much louder ). Not smokey when warm and to say she's on solid mounting there doesn't seem to be too much vibration. The only problem was trying to convince my partner that it is a good idea to have one quarter of her boat's interior taken up by a classic engine.

• 4 years later...

Hey Swindler. Yes still running the same engine. Had heads and barrels off in spring due to headgasket going with engine oil in cooling water but running good again now. It's cool that someone else on this forum will be running one of these. Will answer any questions if I can. Haven't seen that type of gearbox on a CV ( or anywhere ) before. What is it ?. Thanks, Kieron.

Hey there, the gearbox on my coventry was made by 'BRB Precision engineering ltd'and is a type 19z 2:1 reduction.I dont think the company exists any more, however its a design of gearbox that has been produced by many different compaines over the years and is still being made by 'thamesway marine products' who call it the 'tmp type 12000 marine gearbox', which means all spares are still available.

Link to web site, http://www.thameswaymarineproducts.co.uk/index.htm

Swindler,if you are short of parts for your engine there are a pair going on ebay at the moment on the same listing. I've found from stripping them down that water damage in the barrels ( From standing I guess )is a common problem. The Coventry victor site has never been live since I've owned my engine so don't expect to get any parts from them.

Hi Swindler, and Kieron of course !

I have original the engine manual and parts list, so any information from those can be provided,

I also have a couple of incomplete engines that I keep for spares, so let me know what you need to know or obtain. Cheers. Mick

Hi Mick and Kieron, its SWinder (not swindler, im no con man!) as far as i am aware my coventry is almost complete. Although not on the photos i do have the starter motor, alternator and both injection pumps. The only thing missing is the linkages that connect the pumps together and control the revs. due to this i have not attempted to start the engine yet, although it does turn over freely, so dont know if anything else is missing or faulty as of yet. However it would help a lot if either of you could take some photos of these linkages to give me a better idea of what i need.

As for those coventry victor engines on ebay i dont think they are the same version as mine. Mine is the HDW2 which i think means mk2 whereas those for sale are both HDW probably meaning mk1's. Theres probably next to no diffrence between them but dont want to end up buying 2 more projects.

What mk engine do you have?

S winder

post-27604-0-70094200-1478299824_thumb.png

post-27604-0-37224900-1478299868_thumb.jpg

Hey there, the gearbox on my coventry was made by 'BRB Precision engineering ltd'and is a type 19z 2:1 reduction.I dont think the company exists any more, however its a design of gearbox that has been produced by many different compaines over the years and is still being made by 'thamesway marine products' who call it the 'tmp type 12000 marine gearbox', which means all spares are still available.

Link to web site, http://www.thameswaymarineproducts.co.uk/index.htm

Hi i had the same TMP gearbox coupled to a BMC1500 fitted in a 38' narrowboat a few years back and am sure i still have a lot of technical info so will try and search it out if its of use to you ... i must say though mine was superb and ultra reliable so hopefully you wont be in need of parts.

Rick

Hey Swinder , my mistake. Although Swindler does have a ring to it. I might have a spare throttle linkage for a later engine some where, i'll have a look. Thanks for that Suigeneris, I was going to mention that you have all the technical info that enabled me to set bump clearances, valves etc but didn't know if it was right to volunteer your services with out your permission. I've got Mk2 in the boat , another for spares and then an early engine with gearbox ( same as listed on ebay ) in my lockup. Have you got a boat in mind for your engine / gearbox Swinder ?

Engine will be going in this, 39ft x 10ft tug, started building it at back end of summer, got quite a lot done during last few weeks of good weather but with clocks going back and cold weather probably wont do much over winter.

Coventry victor should be a nice engine for this boat sat in its own engine room.

post-27604-0-68216300-1478346329_thumb.jpg

post-27604-0-83554000-1478346358_thumb.jpg

post-27604-0-31236000-1478346395_thumb.jpg

post-27604-0-85041400-1478346844_thumb.jpg

post-27604-0-26620300-1478346892_thumb.jpg