Towpath fencing

BruceinSanity

Featured Posts

We're just boating out of Marple towards Poynton in the rain, and spotted a load of nice new fence posts going up along a long stretch of the towpath near the Waterside moorings.

There were a couple of C&RT guys there, but didn't get a chance to ask them what's going on.

Tried to take a couple of hurried photos but a combo of low battery in the camera and the rain seems to have mucked them up.

Anyone any idea what's happening? Are C&RT really setting out to fence off the whole towpath?

frusty.gif

When we were going up the Marple flight the other week, we noticed that the bank was seriously eroded in several places, before, during and after the flight. Could they be erecting semi-temporary fencing as part of a bank-management programme?

If these are such devices, and they are successful - I wonder if would CaRT like to explain to HMG how to employ a successful Bank management programme

Fencing has also gone up at the junction to Hurleston where boats used to wait as the lock landing isnt that big. The bank was that eroded that we saw many boats getting stuck on the bank. Given the fact that during early August there were problems with the locks and some of the pounds on the Marple flight perhaps C&RT are taking measures to try to prevent this happening again or at least to prevent further errosion. They may of course have other reasons but that was my initial thought on reading the OP.

Edited by little duck!

This was nowhere near the locks, but on the Macc opposite Goyt Mill (not the moorings as I said originally; OH who was steering has corrected me). The fence is going up between the towpath and the cut, and both the surface and the edge looked fine. We're talking big serious permanent looking posts, the kind you'd use to fence off a field.

This was nowhere near the locks, but on the Macc opposite Goyt Mill (not the moorings as I said originally; OH who was steering has corrected me). The fence is going up between the towpath and the cut, and both the surface and the edge looked fine. We're talking big serious permanent looking posts, the kind you'd use to fence off a field.

mooring posts :rolleyes:

Any pictures?

Any pictures?

Sorry, I've lost them in my attempts (so far unsuccessful) to get my camera going again. Attempts to upload from camera to either the Mac Mini or the OH's MacBook result in an "Unknown File Format" message, very worrying. I've tried reformatting the XD card, thus losing the pix, but although that worked briefly, it's gone t*ts up again.

The camera is a FinePix S6500fd if anyone out there has any advice…

mad.gif