1974 HR2 + BioDiesel = ?

Marc Harris

Featured Posts

Just wondering if anyone has any experience / thoughts / random comments about running an HR2 on BioDiesel? It would be fed via gravity from a day-tank, so no issues of it turning to gel in the main tank, or pumps clogging up. Mainly looking for ideas on how the engine would cope with it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

:)

The engine won't be a problem, just make sure that other components in the fuel system is compatible with bio-diesel.

Like fitting "viton" seals ,although to be fair any seal will take a long time to de-grade ,then just change them as and when

i get veggy oil from a local wholesalers, pound a ltr, been running my car on it for over two years and you can do so legaly upto 2500ltrs a year if you keep a record of it :wacko:

not used it in me boat yet as ive got 2000ltrs of red very cheap that i keep filling me tank up with.

didn't know that.

Anyhow why spend all that effort processing bio Diesel when you can burn straight vegetable oil in a HR.

The original question was can i run on biodiesel , not veg oil ,biodiesel is made from veg oil ,but the molecular structure is altered through a process called Transesterification ,running on straight veg oil either new or used is different and will gel at far higher temperatures

with the right knowledge you can still run on biodiesel at - 12 ! ,i know because i did it the winter before last ;)

Edited by JerryP

i get veggy oil from a local wholesalers, pound a ltr, been running my car on it for over two years and you can do so legaly upto 2500ltrs a year if you keep a record of it :wacko:

I hope your using a twin tank set up ? ,if your not , i strongly advise you to do so ,you need to purge your fuel system of any veg oil before leaving it ,I've seen the consequences of running veg oil constantly ,lets just say it wasn't pretty ,the engine in question was totally destroyed.

I hope your using a twin tank set up ? ,if your not , i strongly advise you to do so ,you need to purge your fuel system of any veg oil before leaving it ,I've seen the consequences of running veg oil constantly ,lets just say it wasn't pretty ,the engine in question was totally destroyed.

What engine, and why was it destroyed?

the ingine im running it on is a 21yr old 200tdi, never "purged" it at all and dare say i wont.

gave it a all round service today, as sweet as a nut.

and i would be more than happy to run a 80yr old marine ingine on it, but to be honest the amount of hours i run the boat ingine its not worth the hastle.

What engine, and why was it destroyed?

The engine was out of a VW ,which will run perfectly ok on veg oil or biodiesel ,over a period of time the veg oil forms a "gum" this builds and builds until eventually parts cannot move as freely as they should (like piston rings ,valve stems etc) ,If you've ever seen the inside of a deep fat fryer you'll know what i mean ,this is why it's essential to purge the veg oil out

The engine was out of a VW ,which will run perfectly ok on veg oil or biodiesel ,over a period of time the veg oil forms a "gum" this builds and builds until eventually parts cannot move as freely as they should (like piston rings ,valve stems etc) ,If you've ever seen the inside of a deep fat fryer you'll know what i mean ,this is why it's essential to purge the veg oil out

Thanks for the explanation.

So are you saying that veg oil is OK in an engine that is used frequently, but not if it is allowed to stand for extended periods?

And running it on diesel periodically would be a good idea. Sort of like a laxative.

Thanks for the explanation.

So are you saying that veg oil is OK in an engine that is used frequently, but not if it is allowed to stand for extended periods?

And running it on diesel periodically would be a good idea. Sort of like a laxative.

Most sensible people who run on veg oil use a twin tank system , (on road vehicles anyway) ,the second tank is usually installed in the boot ,one tank contains diesel the other tank contains veg oil ,through a series of solenoids and console mounted switches ,the engine is started on diesel and run up to operating temperature ,then the diesel is switched OFF and the veg oil switched ON ,as the engine is warm ,the veg oil thins as it passes through the fuel lines putting less stress on the fuel system components ,towards the end of the journey the veg oil is switched OFF and the diesel switched ON ,by doing this it purges the fuel system of any veg oil ,you can add veg oil directly to diesel and it will mix ,BUT veg oil has a far higher gel point than diesel and can clog up fuel systems during cold weather ,using veg oil that's been converted into BIODIESEL ,can be added just as you would do normal diesel without any complicated engine/fuel system modifications ,using the correct additives , biodiesel can be run all year round ,even in the harshest winter

the ingine im running it on is a 21yr old 200tdi, never "purged" it at all and dare say i wont.

gave it a all round service today, as sweet as a nut.

until it all gels up in winter :rolleyes: