single handling locks

dominicebs

Featured Posts

As a single hander I ask for the understanding of fully crewed people following me through a succession of locks close together in that I leave work for the people behind me by leaving gates open. This slows them down and speeds me up and our joint speed through the set is faster. If nobody is behind me then I close both though not always immediately. I think the most I have gone back for is five but my memory is poor.

• 3 months later...

Hi, all. This is my first post here.

Not meaning to resurrect the thread, but I happened across it yesterday while searching the web and I have to tell you that it was reading all your posts on here which prompted me to join the forum. I'm relatively new to canal boating, usually I'm single handed and I can see the logic relating to saving/wasting effort closing every single lock gate behind you and potentially the extra work it causes others. However I also understand the stated aim of saving water and the frustrations when restrictions are imposed due to a shortage.

Not being able tho weigh the "benefits" of one approach versus the "costs" of the other I'll stick to the protocol of leaving the gates closed behind me. Even if it costs me a few minutes each lock, the exercise should do me good.

I agree with system 4-50. My own experience has been that in the situation of having a crewed boat catch me up through a flight, the tendency is for the crew to help me out (though I don't just stay on my boat and watch them do all the work). It's to everyone's advantage and we get to swap a few stories as we go.

Thanks again for this very thoughtful thread.

• Greenie 1

Hi, all. This is my first post here.

Not meaning to resurrect the thread, but I happened across it yesterday while searching the web and I have to tell you that it was reading all your posts on here which prompted me to join the forum. I'm relatively new to canal boating, usually I'm single handed and I can see the logic relating to saving/wasting effort closing every single lock gate behind you and potentially the extra work it causes others. However I also understand the stated aim of saving water and the frustrations when restrictions are imposed due to a shortage.

Not being able tho weigh the "benefits" of one approach versus the "costs" of the other I'll stick to the protocol of leaving the gates closed behind me. Even if it costs me a few minutes each lock, the exercise should do me good.

I agree with system 4-50. My own experience has been that in the situation of having a crewed boat catch me up through a flight, the tendency is for the crew to help me out (though I don't just stay on my boat and watch them do all the work). It's to everyone's advantage and we get to swap a few stories as we go.

Thanks again for this very thoughtful thread.

NilesMI, welcome to the Forum, a splendid outlook and one that should be respected, and appreciated by many.

As single hander myself, I also add the caveat that I may also help less able crews (2 or more) descend flights more swiftly when I am in front (my way of getting rid of fat)

Regarding closing lock gates; a few months back I was working up Audlem flight solo for the first time on my cruiser, there was a boat ahead of me with more than one person onboard and they were leaving the top gate open as they left, so I decided to do the same which made passage quicker and easier. Now there was a boat a few locks down coming up but there were also a fair few boats going the other way so there must have only been a couple of locks where the boat crew behind me had to shut the top gate after me.

This didn't stop the boat behind me catching up and I got a lot of earache for it, explained the situation to the lady but she still wasn't happy so I 'made up for it' by setting a couple of the Adderley locks for them. Still, the experience wasn't pleasant and somewhat spoiled an otherwise enjoyable solo passage up Audlem. Let's just say passage on the way back down was far more pleasant, sharing with a short narrowboat.

As a result I tend to shut gates and walk the boat out with the rope but I still see the logic in leaving them open and would do otherwise. It's no big deal to me having to shut a gate after someone, but some people seem to get very hung up about it. This occasion wasn't the first time, once had a similar experience on the Wheelock flight and this time it was the gates swinging back open. Sometimes it's like being on the road, sadly.

Regarding closing lock gates; a few months back I was working up Audlem flight solo for the first time on my cruiser, there was a boat ahead of me with more than one person onboard and they were leaving the top gate open as they left, so I decided to do the same which made passage quicker and easier. Now there was a boat a few locks down coming up but there were also a fair few boats going the other way so there must have only been a couple of locks where the boat crew behind me had to shut the top gate after me.

This didn't stop the boat behind me catching up and I got a lot of earache for it, explained the situation to the lady but she still wasn't happy so I 'made up for it' by setting a couple of the Adderley locks for them. Still, the experience wasn't pleasant and somewhat spoiled an otherwise enjoyable solo passage up Audlem. Let's just say passage on the way back down was far more pleasant, sharing with a short narrowboat.

As a result I tend to shut gates and walk the boat out with the rope but I still see the logic in leaving them open and would do otherwise. It's no big deal to me having to shut a gate after someone, but some people seem to get very hung up about it. This occasion wasn't the first time, once had a similar experience on the Wheelock flight and this time it was the gates swinging back open. Sometimes it's like being on the road, sadly.

Shutting a gate going up is much easier than shutting it going down.

Backsetting has got to be one of the best way to speed up someone else's passage through locks, so long as you know they're following you and you're not meeting oncoming boats, of course.

Shutting a gate going up is much easier than shutting it going down.

Backsetting has got to be one of the best way to speed up someone else's passage through locks, so long as you know they're following you and you're not meeting oncoming boats, of course.

Not if it results in the boat behind waiting for you to leave the next lock. If we get behind a single hander on a flight we will often tell them to leave all,the gates open as they go and we will close up, it's often a lot quicker for both boats.

Not if it results in the boat behind waiting for you to leave the next lock. If we get behind a single hander on a flight we will often tell them to leave all,the gates open as they go and we will close up, it's often a lot quicker for both boats.

I was backsetting coming down from Etruria just before Christmas and the crew of 3 on the boat behind were very thankful, and didn't keep up with me.

Is stoke bottom lock the slowest filling lock on the system??

If the boat behind catches you up, it could be due to either of 2 things:

1) you're slowed down because you're possibly having to turn the lock before you use it. And conversely, they are faster than you because they don't have to - the lock is always set for them

2) you're slowed down because you're taking an additional walk of ~50 yds and opening a paddle.

I suspect (2) takes less time than (1), but there's a 50% chance you'll come to a lock which is either set against you, and a good chance the lock is not quite full (or empty) enough to open the gates. So yes, on basic analysis, you'd 'lose' ever so slightly and they'd 'gain' a bit more.

HOWEVER

If you also consider Karma, then eventually you'll come across a lock which has been set for you by another boater (who is ahead of you in the same direction). Then that % chance of it set against you decreases below 50%.

EDIT

Another possibility is they'll catch you up and give you a hand at the locks (which if you're single handed, is appreciated). Of course, etiquette means that they'd never overtake you, but if they're clearly very efficient and have a larger crew, there's no reason not to offer the overtake.

If the boat behind catches you up, it could be due to either of 2 things:

1) you're slowed down because you're possibly having to turn the lock before you use it. And conversely, they are faster than you because they don't have to - the lock is always set for them

2) you're slowed down because you're taking an additional walk of ~50 yds and opening a paddle.

I suspect (2) takes less time than (1), but there's a 50% chance you'll come to a lock which is either set against you, and a good chance the lock is not quite full (or empty) enough to open the gates. So yes, on basic analysis, you'd 'lose' ever so slightly and they'd 'gain' a bit more.

HOWEVER

If you also consider Karma, then eventually you'll come across a lock which has been set for you by another boater (who is ahead of you in the same direction). Then that % chance of it set against you decreases below 50%.

EDIT

Another possibility is they'll catch you up and give you a hand at the locks (which if you're single handed, is appreciated). Of course, etiquette means that they'd never overtake you, but if they're clearly very efficient and have a larger crew, there's no reason not to offer the overtake.

I think you've got things the wrong way round. A boat running in front of you in the same direction will always leave the lock against you.

George ex nb Alton retired

Not necessarily, I'd be drawing paddles for a boat behind me.

That is a totally different answer.

The post I responded to said a boat following may have caught up because "the lock is always set for them". How is this lock set for them unless someone turns it, and I didn't see any mention of that. A boat going uphill in front of you is bound to leave the lock full when you need it empty. The fact that you, or indeed the other boat turns the lock before you arrive does not change this basic fact.

To be honest, I sometimes draw back paddles myself but not when it is going to speed up a following boat to such an extent that they catch me up. My time would be better spent keeping myself out of their way.

As we can see, there are many different ways of going through locks single-handed and no one technique is correct for every individual, every boat or every situation. It's worth trying different methods and finding out what suits you and your boat. But what ever method you adopt, it's crucial to concentrate when single-handed and not get distracted by passers-by or rushed by other boaters. Always take your time and do it methodically.

Edited by blackrose

We've done quite a few boating miles over the last three years and have very rarely come across a lock where the gate is open when we arrive.

So there aren't many people that actually practice this?

I do see the logic, in a perfect world where gates don't leak, but the canal world is far from perfect.

Much as I love the idea, until it is widely embraced we'll be shutting the gates when we leave a lock. And I doubt very much that the person arriving after we leave will think we're silly. If we leave it open there's far more chance of someone shouting at us - because it is what everyone is told to do!

Those that disagree should be campaigning to CRT to change the notices on locks to close the gates after they leave.

To be honest, I sometimes draw back paddles myself but not when it is going to speed up a following boat to such an extent that they catch me up. My time would be better spent keeping myself out of their way.

That was my point George

Ladders - yes they can be treacherous. Particularly if it is icy or if you are going downhill (as they are then wet and slimey). I have seen organised boaters with nice little clippy things on their belts for their windlass so they are not clmbing down one handed...

On the other hand jumping can be quite dangerous too.

I have always used a centre line in the canals but now I am on the rivers I get told off if I am seen doing that and made to tie up fore and aft.

The things I have found damn near impossible single handing are (in reverse order of impossible-ness)

1. Really loose lock gates where one opens when you shut the other. If you are going uphill open the top paddle a little and that pushes them shut.

2. Really stiff lock gates that you can't shift. Wait for a jogger. I guess if you were really desperate you could use the boat but I have never had to.

3. Bloody swing bridges. Yes it is just about possible to do them but its like some sort of challenge from the krypton factor, particularly the big electric ones. I asked BW as was why they put the mechanism on the offside (so you can open it but then cannot get back to your boat) and they said it was to stop people leaving it open. There are loads of these on the L&L.

If I am doing anything wrong here please let me know - this is just how I work and its all a bit self taught.

Ladders - yes they can be treacherous. Particularly if it is icy or if you are going downhill (as they are then wet and slimey). I have seen organised boaters with nice little clippy things on their belts for their windlass so they are not clmbing down one handed...

On the other hand jumping can be quite dangerous too.

I have always used a centre line in the canals but now I am on the rivers I get told off if I am seen doing that and made to tie up fore and aft.

The things I have found damn near impossible single handing are (in reverse order of impossible-ness)

1. Really loose lock gates where one opens when you shut the other. If you are going uphill open the top paddle a little and that pushes them shut.

2. Really stiff lock gates that you can't shift. Wait for a jogger. I guess if you were really desperate you could use the boat but I have never had to.

3. Bloody swing bridges. Yes it is just about possible to do them but its like some sort of challenge from the krypton factor, particularly the big electric ones. I asked BW as was why they put the mechanism on the offside (so you can open it but then cannot get back to your boat) and they said it was to stop people leaving it open. There are loads of these on the L&L.

If I am doing anything wrong here please let me know - this is just how I work and its all a bit self taught.

Sounds like you're doing it ok to me, but then i make it up as i go along as well. Ascending Beeston iron lock (wide with no ladders)on a deserted Feb day was a good krypton challenge but it's do-able

I think i'd reverse 1 & 2 - there's one lock on the Stourbridge 16 where both bottom gates swing open so fast cracking a paddle doesn't work so that has to be a passerby assistance one.

L&L swing bridges are the absolute worst though. I got quite good at asking people for help when i was up that way; dogwalkers, kids, moored boaters, birdwatchers, ladies going to church, the man in a van who wanted to get to the other side.... many many people have assisted me :)

The mechanism is on the offside for the sake of the horses - or rather, to stop their tow rope being snagged. Of course, that was in the day when horses towed boats, and boats generally had 2 (or more) crew - the canal network was designed for this, not for today's single handers. In theory they don't really have to abide by this convention any more and could 'reverse' the side a mechanism is on for an electric swing bridge, but I imagine its an upgrade of a more traditional one and there might be physical constraints, or heritage/historical reasons, for keeping it as-is.

I think i'd reverse 1 & 2 - there's one lock on the Stourbridge 16 where both bottom gates swing open so fast cracking a paddle doesn't work so that has to be a passerby assistance one.

I think that must have been fixed. I single handed the Stourbridge 16 in mMay last year on the way to the BCLM tug weekend and don't remember having even a slight problem.

Or maybe it's cropped up since then!

MtB