ruston hornsbys

ruston pride

Featured Posts

:smiley_offtopic:

Not really relevant, but the ex FRS Explorer has two Ruston VPH6s as main generators (one of which is currently in bits, getting de-seized :( ) and a VRH4 as a harbour generator. The running VPH6 and the VRH4 both start easily, with no sign of grumpiness :cheers:

Iain

Wow Iain thats a nice boat, I have sold models of that type of vessel for years but never seen a real one in the flesh. I have a model floating on my garden pond which is shown on this listing of mine: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINDBERG-TRAWLER-SHIP-SUITABLE-R-C-OO-HO-KIT-NEW-/150621317306?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2311bae8ba

I wondered about Rustons,how easy are the spares to find? Not planning to do away with the Lister just curious,its a cat thing

Not too hard! My wife works for a company that sources, refurbishes - and engineers new where required - parts for Ruston Hornsby engines amongst others.

:) Iain, you say not really relevant, but your link was a lovely distraction, thank you. Much beefier engine power there than here, bet it sounds good. I probably have a 2VTH, with variuos bits and pieces which seem to have been robbed from a variety of other rustons starting with Vs. Its making getting my head around getting parts interesting! But I wouldn't want a turn a key and the engine starts boring new engine hidden in a box

Tony, would you be able to give me details of your wife's company? They sound usefull!

:) Iain, you say not really relevant, but your link was a lovely distraction, thank you. Much beefier engine power there than here, bet it sounds good. I probably have a 2VTH, with variuos bits and pieces which seem to have been robbed from a variety of other rustons starting with Vs. Its making getting my head around getting parts interesting! But I wouldn't want a turn a key and the engine starts boring new engine hidden in a box

Tony, would you be able to give me details of your wife's company? They sound usefull!

PM sent.

I have a weather eye out for a 2VSH, in case anyone has a spare one lying about unused.....

I saw one sell on ebay last year for £1600, it even had a prm260 mated to it and the engine had been fully reconditioned... If I hadn't just bought my Dorman i'd have bought it...

Casp'

• 1 month later...

We used to have a 3vsh in one of our boats, I didnt know its details at the time just that it was a Ruston Hornsby and came from a crane, someone somewhere put up a link to a video of someone starting a 3 vsh and I realised it was what we had. Ours was painted a lovely shade of electric blue and sounded amazing none the less for it, paired with a borg warner gearbox she blew through the white metal liner at the bottom of a piston one spring morning 25 years ago and back then spares werent as easy to come by so she went and in her place came a lister.... hadnt got the heart of the RH tho.

Thanks to whoever posted the vid.

:cheers:

Not too hard! My wife works for a company that sources, refurbishes - and engineers new where required - parts for Ruston Hornsby engines amongst others.

We have a Ruston Hornsby (or should it be Greaves?) 2YWM in our boat. It runs and sounds beautiful, really throbby! My hubby intends to carry out most of the maintenance - servicing etc and could really do with a spares/workshop manual. Do you know if there is such a thing and how difficult it would be to find one? Also very good news to hear that it's not too difficult to get hold of parts.

• 4 weeks later...